I love John Denver!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Think I was meant to be a John Denver Fan or least My Mum must've been?..

[​IMG]

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Great writer and he sure did a fine acting job in Oh God

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m sure John Denver wore that actual jumper on an album cover once.:D

4. CrazyCatz

Yeah but least he picked his :) gawd some of the Photos of me and brother in the exact same clothes and same haircuts.. even though we was totally different size,shape .. funny now, but not so much so back then..esp IF mates saw you out an about.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

And yet when he finally dropped the glasses John was movie actor good-looking (at least I think so, plus of course he had been in movies and tv). It was quite a discovery 'back in the day'.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya, took me forever to find that Japanese BVCP Farewell cd to complete my collection.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That middle album is actually quite good, but totally lost to the ether.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

interesting to see Denver recovering a bit of his fame and mystique as the years pass - he seemed to disappear (in the public consciousness) for several years there. When your music shows up in two current hip (and relevant) recent films, its a good sign of a forward trajectory.

9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

He has songs with legs. He will be heard in the future. He is huge in Hawaii and the Phillipines even with younger people. Very easy to sing along with many of his songs. This will bode well as time passes, i think...

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This just goes to show that good music will always find new audiences no matter how old it is.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can you give me the UPC or please post a pic of the artwork. Pretty cool you found it!

12. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Wow this thread was dormant from 2006-2016! Count me in as a fan of a really good songwriter. Sometimes I appreciate his songs interpreted by other artists better.
    His earlier music had this "space" in it where you could listen and still find time to dream while not missing any of the song. It's hard to explain. The songs were very engaging and listener friendly. You felt like a part of them.

Hep Alien, Donal, windfall and 2 others like this.
  13. CrazyCatz

Hi folks, just looking on FleaBay for Farewell Andromeda CD(no sign of Jap) but that's not so important (well for me) so will be picking up over next few days.. noticed couple of different Live CDs, We have Live in London on Vinyl.. was wondering IF/Which Live CD was best?

Cheers

14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

At one point John Denver was so ubiquitous that John Davidson forgot and called himself "John Denver" on his special. I think it was a joke but the point was made and i remembered it.

He must have had country and rock fans buying those records to sell that many.

ian christopher likes this.
  15. ian christopher

Could it be that the rise of disco lowered John Denver's stature in the public conscious?

Its not like you can really dance to any JD songs - I mean, one could possibly Square Dance to Thank God I'm a Country Boy, or maybe an interpretative dance to Calypso?

Many singer-songwriters and folkies seemed to decline a bit in the late 70's. and while "love songs" started to burn up the Adult Contemporary charts, Denver kept his nature and city references (Wild Montana Skies, Shanghai Breezes) while more popular A/C hitmakers were singing about turning on their heart lights and revealing that its hard for them to say they're sorry - instead of the hippier/dippier Denver lyric fare.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. ian christopher

"the greatest love of all in the cool Shanghai Breezes, learning to love yourself 'neath the Wild Montana Skies"

I digress, but Denver's lyrics stuck out like a sore thumb (in a good way to these ears) after 1978.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  17. ian christopher

he was everywhere and then he was nowhere - which sorta portends that he may be everywhere again soon someday.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I would go for the Sydney Opera House album first. The Evening with... is the most famous and best selling. I am an admirer of JD’s work in the late 70s above everything else - Spirit, I want to Live, JD - which is why I prefer the SOH release (wish it was longer). The wildlife Concert is also good though I skip some of the more recent songs, which I think are generally weak. Gorgeous version of Darcy Farrow on there.

Hep Alien and CrazyCatz like this.
  19. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

As Windfall says, the single CD “Live at the Sydney Opera House” is great.

But it’s really hard to beat the remastered 2-CD version of the classic album “An Evening With John Denver.” That’s probably the one to start with.

Others to consider:

“Live in Cedar Rapids” (2-CD set; solo show from 1987, augmented with a string quartet on several songs)

“Live in the USSR” (2-CD set, solo, very tasteful solo acoustic performances from 1985)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Hep Alien and CrazyCatz like this.
  20. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

For a different sort of JD release try to find the early RCA Who's Garden Was This. It is a strange somewhat darker LP that his usual material.

CrazyCatz and ian christopher like this.
  21. ian christopher

The one album that rarely receives mention is his 1979 self-titled album "John Denver". Garden Song is certainly great (though not a JD original), but it seems that the album had too much of a "rock" feel (Johnny B Goode cover), and turned off fans of his recent softer material?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  22. CrazyCatz

Thanks Guys(I'm gonna go with guys rather than peoplekind) yeah I know NO politics..just couldn't resist.

Well I didn't realize John Denver had recorded quite so many Live performances and I had heard/read in a Thread on here that was the Remastered A Night With John Denver was the one to get not Original release.

[​IMG]

Thanks to the advice given above I can at least grab 3 and know kinda what I'm getting..

[​IMG]

Think it'll be Sydney Opera House 1st then a Night with..

[​IMG]

I must've counted at least 6-7 Live Albums..

[​IMG]

On this Note, I'm sticking some John Denver on inmin.. but 1st few more Album covers..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. CrazyCatz

Last few, least tha I came across on FleaBay..

[​IMG]

Which J.D. CD to play..

[​IMG]

last one..

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think he might have more live albums than studio albums! :)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. I just watched a JD concert on Youtube and he did Johnny B. Goode while wearing black leather pants. I love the guy but . . .no.

ian christopher and CrazyCatz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.