I love The Platters...what say ye?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I checked my own collection database for stereo/mono info, and it appears that there must be more than one version of the Golden Hits CD... my version carries the Mercury # 826447-2 and dates from the mid eighties. The songs that are mono on my copy are ALSO mono on the Anthology except for "Twilight Time" which is mono on the single CD; the two share the identical stereo tracks otherwise. The only other stereo vs mono I could find was the aforementioned "Twilight Time" which is also available on two Time-Life collections, one in stereo the other mono.

Hotdog likes this.
  2. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks. I had been lead to believe from other posts that Golden Hits was all mono. Maybe another pressing is.

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Love The Platters. I don't know about smoke but i get tears in my eyes when i listen to Ebb Tide and Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. Can't listen to them in the car. Beautiful records.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  4. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I had to live with Platters songs being played all day long on the radio back then and I didn't like them. Probably even rolling around my head while I tried to watch "Superman" on tv.

But, they were a staple of the times so what can I say? Those records are permanently etched into my psyche. That being said, imo, they went out with a nice bang with the much-later"With This Ring", even though Sonny Turner was singing and the rest of the original group was basically history.

I still like listening to "With This Ring"... and of course (which is of absolutely no interest to the general population), that record..... in March of 1967... was the FIRST studio recording in the HISTORY of HISTORY to be tracked on a 16-track 2-inch machine, the souped-up AG-1000. In fact, tracked only a few hours after the machine's installation. I would've done almost anything to get my hands on a 16trk machine in March of 1967. No, I would've done ANYTHING to get my hands on that then.

This, being the forum it is, will result in someone pointing out to me that my information is wrong. But I don't think it's wrong. And even if it is (which I don't think it is wrong), I still love the record. And I think my tracking information is correct.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great, timeless music. :righton:

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

On the West German Polygram CD, Golden Hits has added stereo reverb on the mono content ("September Song" is in stereo on this CD).

Special Memories is true to the original mono but suffers from variable quality (some tracks seem strangled with NR while others aren't so bad).

Hotdog likes this.
  7. LST7006

LST7006 Forum Resident

Here's mine. 9-CD box from Bear Family.
    [​IMG]

Shvartze Shabbos, sgb, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  8. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

Yes, it seems to be the Japanese pressing of Golden Hits which is all mono except September Song, unless that has reverb added too.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sounds like "September Song" escaped the 80s reverb treatment on the West German CD :thumbsup:

10. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

What I meant to say was that it appears to be the Japanese pressing which mostly uses mono versions, unless they added reverb to that too. The good news is that the proper mono (barring September Song) version of the album is available to download:
    Qobuz Player - High Fidelity music in streaming »

So that leaves four UK hits missing. Is The Magic Touch the best-sounding option for these?
    You'll Never Never Know
    It Isn't Right
    I'm Sorry
    Remember When

Mal likes this.
  11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You know the Mercury Platters and Musicor (Buck Ram) Platters were basically two different groups.
    Sonny Turner was the lead singer with the Musicor group, Herb Reed was in both groups.

I'm still wondering about this strange version of "Only You" I heard years ago.
    It sounds like (probably King Records) wiped the music track and replaced it with a Martin Dennyesque track with bird calls, exotic percussion, and a celeste.

sgb likes this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Magic Touch is great for the mono - all of disc 1 except "Helpless" and four tracks from disc 2; "You're Making A Mistake", "Sixteen Tons", "Remember When" & "When You Return" (a fantastic Tony Williams solo recording). The stereo tracks are strangely narrow, some ridiculously so, although there are some new mixes by the sound of it, too. Definitely worth getting.

Also, there's More Golden Hits on Polygram CD - sounds like the stereo has also been enhanced with 80s reverb this time and the sources vary from reasonable to pretty bad but it does have the other "You'll Never Know" which has one of the coolest intros (starts on the I chord over a IV in the bass :cool:):

sgb and Hotdog like this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yikes ! My parents tried to force-fed me that music. Plus, they were all over the TV in the 60s. I loathed them with a passion. Well, you wanted to know.

14. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I like the Musicor Platters, from the sixties. Great soul songs like "Think Before You Walk Away," "With This Ring" and "I Love You 1000 Times."

Not a fan of the more famous Platters on Mercury ("The Great Pretender," "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"). Too "pop" for me.

As an aside, I always thought it amusing that Stan Freberg parodied the Platters as an example of juvenile rock & roll. From where I'm sitting 60+ years later, they seem more accessible to those who liked Patti Page or Dean Martin instead.

sgb and Hotdog like this.
  15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Their cover of unchained melody is laughably bad.

sgb likes this.
  16. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

On the other hand. Their cover of if I didnt care is great.

Hey Vinyl Man and sgb like this.
  17. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I saw the Platters in 2007 in Vegas, but damned if I know what version this was. Also on the show: the quote-unquote Drifters (different from the one I saw in Chicago six years earlier) and three ladies calling themselves the Marvellettes.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

sgb likes this.
  19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I didn't want to sound like too much of a know-it-all, but there were, in fact, TWO CD versions of the Golden Hits; the initial release which is what I have, and a budget version of it which did nothing but pare the number of selections on the disk with the intention of selling it to a budget-minded buyer. I wrote about this in a long-defunct magazine around 1995 or so. It is not likely that the then owner of the Mercury label name would go to any additional expense to release the new, sleeker version, I would think, but then, who's to say what some other licensee might have done? I have not followed developments in the Oldies CD markets for many years.

Excellent thread!

20. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

When I think of The Platters I hear "Only You" immeditately in my head. It is perhaps my own limited relationship with the group, I have not dived into their catalog. :oops:

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

some of their songs are even better than that one IMO. Enchanted, Twilight Time, I'm Sorry, My Prayer, The Magic Touch...many great ones and worth picking up a comp and listen a few times, see if they don't really grow on you.

Hey Vinyl Man and the sands like this.
  22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

But "Only You" is certainly one of the best of the earlier great ones; certainly, you've mentioned several of the best. I think you missed a really important one, though, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes."

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  23. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, an old post on these forums says Golden Hits on CD is all mono except September Song. It would appear that the West Germany pressing has the mono tracks with added stereo reverb. The original Japanese release may be different, the back cover marks the same tracks as mono. Nonetheless the digital reissue (dated 1985 on Qobuz) sounds like proper mono (barring September Song).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I've only seen this version, and that was many years ago. The two I'm familiar with are both German made and the first of these from the same mid-80s period.

25. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

I don't think their stuff has dated too much, yet it's still so redolent of the era. A good proportion of their hits are recognisable today, for a non-rock act of the era.

sgb and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.