I love the Temptations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member

The Tempts weren't Lp artists like Stevie Wonder, and Stevie has also been a bigger influence on pop music, not just in r&b and pop, but rap (sampled quite a bit) and rock. It's even more so with Marvin Gaye, who's tragic death may have contributed to his legend.

Diana's top 40 popularity and to a certain extent Smokey's has had a little bit more longevity than the Tempts, and Smokey also has his songwriting to bolster his reputation.

Still, I don't think the Temptations have been shortchanged. When I was a kid, I knew the Temptations a lot more than Marvin Gaye, and for a while, the California Raisins certainly bolstered their popularity (that's how I learned most of their hits).

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

In the real world, the name MOTOWN means more to anyone than the names of the groups. And the names of the groups mean more than the names of the people IN the groups and that is the way that Barry Gordy wanted it I think.

When I was young, I could spot a Motown song just by listening to the first three seconds of the intro. It really didn't matter to me who actually sang the thing, but I knew the difference between the Temps and the Tops or the Miracles, etc. because I saw them all on Ed Sullivan.

It was the Supremes that we all knew the names of back in 1965. I knew which one Florence was and which one Mary was; they were real celebs, just like the Beatles, Stones, etc.

Think about it, it didn't really matter who went in to record for Motown in the glory years, when the record came out, it sounded like MOTOWN. "This Old Heart Of Mine" by the Isley Bros. is a good example. It could be any Motown group. If I didn't see the name ISLEY BROS. on the label I wouldn't have known. I just knew I liked the song from the first (distorted) few notes in the intro.:)

vivatones and Uncle Miles like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

In the Miller's Analogy Test, "Motown" is to "Pop Singles" as "Blue Note" is to "Jazz Albums" -- a guarantee of quality.

I wonder how many people bought those company's products simply because they saw the label and figured , "Well, I know this'll be good."

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I think the Velvets have always enjoyed a pretty fair collegiate following.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

A few notes:

My favorite latter day Temptations song is "Soul to Soul". It features a moving lead vocal by Ali "Ollie" Woodson and a very strong group vocal, just like you would want from a Temptations track. The production suffers from a bit of 80s-itis, but the vocals are good enough to overcome it.

I have missed numerous chances to see both The Temptations & the Dennis Edwards Temptation Revue this summer, but at least I am going to see their "band" tomorrow night - The Funk Brothers!

I believe that the Dennis Edwards Temptation Revue is touring with Martha Reeves as an opening act, too. At least that's who is opening for them at their Detroit area ampitheater gig.

Regards,

6. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Ken (or anyone)-

Are you knowledgable enough about the most recent Temptations albums (say, those put out in the last eight to ten years)? I know For Lovers Only has a huge following, but any guidance on how to best navigate the rest (e.g. Phoenix Rising, Awesome, etc.) is sincerely appreciated. I've been meaning to dive into this late period work more, but am also concerned about potentially spotty material and/or questionable production. Just pop for all the individual albums? Wait for some kind of comp? Pass entirely?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think the real reason producer Norman Whitfield (or more likely Berry Gordy) wanted the group to do multi-leads is because they didn't want to risk creating another super-ego like David Ruffin. In fact, I think I read that somewhere.

Also, starting in 1966 with "Cloud Nine", Whitfield was allowed to experiment with the group, as soul music and tastes were changing. That song was Motown's first venture into socially relevant message music. But, what got all the attention two years later? Diana Ross & The Supremes' "Love Child". In the late 60s and early 70s, the Temptations were like the O'Jays of the 70s.

Anyway, I like both phases of the Temps. In 1980, they would deliver their very last powerful, socially or politically relevant single, "Power", produced and written by Berry Gordy. It was screamin' soul expertly performed! After that, the only performer left to carry the torch was Rick James.

8. Grant

I guess you never heard their albums like "Phychedelic Shack", "1990", Puzzle People", or "Masterpiece". People wore those albums smooth back in the day!

9. Grant

But, by 1969, you could really tell the difference between the styles! Individuality was the thing of the day, and artists everywhere were rebelling against the record companies and producers and were struggling to seek their own identity. I agree that Gordy wanted to keep people anonymous, but he changed his tune when he put Diana Ross, Martha Reeves, and Smokey Robinson out in front of their groups, and picked up the Jackson Five. The key to marketing them was to identify Tito, Marlon, Jermaine, Jackie, and Michael.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened.

Purple Jim likes this.
  11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Cool.
    How about It's Growing

John D. likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The Ultimate Collection with an upwards facing shot of the group lined up in a row is an excellent sounding compilation. Everything prior to Papa is in glorious, nicely mastered mono. Everything the “seriously casual” fan would want is in here and sounds great. For me, this is the best collection of Motown hits from a singular act during the sixties and into the very early seventies.

jomo48, WhatDoIKnow and Steve Hoffman like this.
  13. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

My favourite Tamla Motown group.

JoeDea likes this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks like there’s more than one version with this title. Any other way to identify it? Thanks.

15. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Definitely. From early to late music are all good. Another good are the commodores music especially the "machine gun" I just wished they added more bass lines but the SQ is just perfect!

16. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Yes, I too love the Temptations! As a kid I had a rough copy of greatest hits I would put in a stack on the record changer. I wished I had a second copy so I could hear both sides without having to flip it like I did for The Best Of Cream.
    [​IMG]

vivatones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.