I met legondary animator Ron Campbell ("Yellow Submarine", "Scooby Doo", etc.)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Ron Campbell had a pretty awesome career from the early 60s through the 90s. The arc of his career is pretty awesome too, starting out in a golden age of TV animation, surviving its decline (he worked on "Captain Caveman"), and retiring well into the craft's renaissance in the early 2000s. He mentioned the final show he worked on, "Ed, Edd N Eddy" was the last hand-drawn series on TV when it ended...but he might be mistaken. It certainly was one of the last.

Ron directed many "The Beatles" episodes and animated on "Yellow Submarine". He worked on dozens of H-B 'toons over the years, countless shorts, etc.

He's almost 80 and now makes original drawings of the characters he's worked on through the years and visits various cities to sell them and do demonstrations.

My wife, little girl and I went to his pop-up show here and it'll be one of our fondest memories. He's a genuinely sweet man, very kind and humble with so many great stories. I gushed about how much of his work delighted me as a kid. He made a drawing of Tigger for our 2.5-year-old daughter. She was thrilled.

What's so unique about the art he sells is he makes a certificate of authenticity with a drawing on the spot and customizes the message. We bought a drawing of "Yellow Submarine" Paul for my older daughter (still a Beatles fangirl after all these years) and he made it out to her and drew a TV show Paul on the certificate.

Here's the story I wrote and photographed for a talk he gave leading up to his pop-up show during a private screening of "Yellow Submarine". He was involved mainly in tying the musical pieces together. He did a lot of the Blue Meanies animating as well.
    Animating Legend Ron Campbell Visits Casper - Oil City News

If he happens to do a pop-up show near you, I urge you to visit him. Especially if you've got kids. He's pretty awesome.

dan c

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.