I miss BOBBY DARIN..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I somehow missed this thread, but it is great that there is at least some of the Darin "second-phase" Atlantic material still in existence. I was disheartened when I first read Jeff Bleiel's book in 1994 that it was "believed that [these tracks] were destroyed in a fire in Atlantic's warehouse". Danke Schoen is one track I would love to hear (...make that all of them that still exist). The other two tracks I am most curious about are "Strangers in the Night" and Darin's cover of the Jerry Reed "Tupelo Mississippi Flash". Do either of these survive? Also, do the extant unreleased tracks exist only as mono or stereo mixdowns, or only in multi-track state?

2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Mono mixes as far I've heard...

Jeff

3. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

That's great! Atlantic usually did excellent mono mixes. It will be good just if we get to hear these tracks at all. Any unreleased Bobby Darin is icing on the cake, especially the Atco/Atlantic material.

4. Captain Groovy

Man, those stereo mixes could be awful during that 66'/67 period! There's a wonderful album called Shadow of Your Smile from this period (1966) on Atlantic ("After You've Gone, "Cute", "Rainin" on it) and it's one of those pan vocals to the left and music to the right jobs - a gorgeous album pretty ruined by the stereo mix. The mono LP is the way to go on that one!

What's weird is, those stereo mixes from his first stint at Atlantic (ATCO) are all great!

Jeff

5. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Yes, I agree about the 66-67 mixes being horrid. The Shadow of Your Smile LP is one of my favorites, but the mixing is bad, even the mono, although miles better than the stereo. Just sounds like mud! I think it was badly recorded in the first place, even with the wonderful Thorne Nogar (Radio Recorders) engineering some of the tracks. Sure wish we had the multis for that LP, plus the singles, "The Breaking Point" and "Silver Dollar". The only decent stereo mix from the second Atlantic period is the "Doctor Dolittle" LP. And yes, the Atco stereo mixes were great.

6. Captain Groovy

This should answer your latter question.

I agree completely with your sentiments about the late Steve Blauner.

I have no comment on this video.

Jeff

FranklyCanadian likes this.
  7. Captain Groovy

BD's classic 1960 Christmas album, "The 25th Day of December" is ON SALE in TRUE STEREO from Real Gone Music. They put a lot of care into this re-release.

IMO, he shines best when he makes most of these tracks his own... "Go Tell it To the Mountain" is my fave...

http://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/bobby-darin-cd

Jeff

8. FranklyCanadian

FranklyCanadian Forum Resident

Thanks as always for the BD updates, Jeff...much appreciated!

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Just played the Milk Shows all the way through. Awesome :cheers:

10. Captain Groovy

Would have been nice to have it with some "breathing room" and not so choppily edited to squeeze onto two CDs IMO. Too frenetic a listen. Should have been put together by pros. Musically wonderful, of course - Bobby and a jazz quartet "live"!

Jeff

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

True, but great anyway

Captain Groovy likes this.
  12. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

"Stay positive please if you'd like to see more professionally done reissues "

;))

13. Captain Groovy

Press Release from Real Gone and Second Disc! And happy they announced what I've been excited to announce - THE BOBBY DARIN UNDERGROUND: The Ultimate Resource for BD Music, Rarities, B-Sides, Outtake and More!

Look out, old Bobby is back!

On May 14, 2016, Bobby Darin would have turned 80 years old. Though he tragically passed away at the age of 37 on December 20, 1973, he accomplished more in these short years than most artists do in a lifetime. It’s no wonder that Darin remains one of the most electrifying entertainers the world has ever known. Earlier this year, Second Disc Records and Real Gone Music announced the release of a new title from two legendary icons of American popular song: Bobby Darin and Motown Records! Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years was originally planned to arrive in stores tomorrow, but has been rescheduled for a very special milestone. It will now arrive to mark his actual birthday month! We’re inaugurating Bobby’s 80th birthday year a little over a week before the big day – on May 6. And we hope it will be worth the wait. We have more new details just below!

Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years is the first-ever anthology dedicated to the recordings made by Bobby Darin at Motown Records at the dawn of the 1970s. This 2-CD, 38-track set had its roots in the Reissue Theory columnpublished here over five years ago, on February 16, 2011 – and in the ensuing years, the collection has only gotten bigger and more comprehensive! Another Song on My Mind fully chronicles the long-overlooked period that concluded Bobby Darin’s recording career. At Motown, Bobby brought together the many strains of his musical DNA and touched on pop, soul, rhythm and blues, gospel, folk and more. He was joined on his Motown journey by a host of illustrious names, among them Smokey Robinson, Bob Crewe, Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, Joe Porter, Gene Page, James Carmichael, Charles Fox, and more. This 2-CD set includes:

• The original Bobby Darin album (1972), never on CD anywhere in the world;
    • The posthumously-released Darin 1936-1973 album (1974) in producer Bob Crewe’s original mix for the first time ever on CD;
    • Remastering from the original analog master tapes by acclaimed engineer Kevin Reeves; and
    • Detailed liner notes featuring brand-new interviews with Motown legends Smokey Robinson and Jerry Marcellino!
    And that’s not all. You’ll also hear:

• Every one of Bobby Darin’s Motown singles including “Melodie” and “Someday We’ll Be Together” in mono andstereo; and
    • Five alternate Darin 1936-1973 mixes issued on the long out-of-print 1991 CD!
    This set features Darin’s interpretations of songs by a host of remarkable writers. Bobby had collaborated with Randy Newman on the song “Look at Me” for the 1964 motion picture The Lively Set. Here, he tackles Newman’s masterpiece “Sail Away” in majestic style. Bobby also brought new life to tracks by Cat Stevens (“Hard Headed Woman”), Paul Williams and Roger Nichols (“I Won’t Last a Day Without You”) and Bob Dylan (“I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight,” “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right”) as well as a pair of his own, personal compositions (“Something in Her Love” and our title track, “Another Song on My Mind”). On Jerry Marcellino, Mel Larson and Deke Richards’ “Melodie,” Darin tapped into The Sound of Young America to create a thrilling slice of Motown soul. His emotional, moving performance of Smokey Robinson and Michel Legrand’s “Happy (Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues)” is a tour de force. Sizzling renditions of “Mack the Knife” and “If I Were a Carpenter” seal the deal, proving without a doubt that Bobby Darin was still at the top of his game during his time at Berry Gordy’s revolutionary record label.

I’ve compiled, co-produced and written the liner notes for this package celebrating this lost final chapter of Bobby Darin’s career. Bobby would have turned 80 on May 14, 2016. We hope you’ll join us in kicking off his landmark birthday year in May with this release of which we’re incredibly proud to finally bring to you. Whether you’re a fan of Motown, R&B, pop, soul or classic vocals, Bobby Darin delivered them all with inimitable verve and passion.

We have another big announcement, too! If you’re looking to further explore the extraordinary career of this one-of-a-kind artist, please visit the newly-launched site The Bobby Darin Underground! This ever-growing and evolving resource is headed by a team of dedicated and passionate Darin fans and collectors, and promises to become the Internet’s top spot to commemorate the Bobby Darin legacy and share news of new projects! Head on over to join the community and discover a wealth of history (including a rarity to be posted every week!) and knowledge (including album and single discographies and much more!) about the man and his music!

Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years arrives from Second Disc Records and Real Gone Music on May 6, 2016and you can pre-order at the links below! Watch for more details coming soon about the rest of Real Gone’s exciting May 6 slate!

Bobby Darin, Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years (Second Disc Records/Real Gone Music, 2016) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada)

CD 1: Bobby Darin and bonus material

1. Sail Away
    2. I’ve Already Stayed Too Long
    3. Something in Her Love
    4. Who Turned the World Around
    5. Shipmates in Cheyenne
    6. Let It Be Me
    7. Hard-Headed Woman
    8. Average People
    9. I Used to Think It Was Easy
    10. My First Night Alone Without You
    11. Melodie (Original Single Version) (Mono)
    12. Someday We’ll Be Together (Original Single Version) (Mono)
    13. Simple Song of Freedom (Live) (Original Single Version) (Mono)
    14. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight (Live) (Original Single Version) (Mono)
    15. Sail Away (Original Single Version)
    16. Hard-Headed Woman (Original Single Version)
    17. Average People (Original Single Version)
    18. Something in Her Love (Original Single Version)
    CD 2: Darin 1936-1973 and bonus material

1. I Won’t Last a Day Without You
    2. Wonderin’ Where It’s Gonna End
    3. Sail Away
    4. Another Song on My Mind
    5. Happy (Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues)
    6. Blue Monday
    7. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
    8. The Letter
    9. If I Were a Carpenter (Live)
    10. Moritat (Mack the Knife) (Live)
    11. Happy (Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) (Original Single Version)
    12. Simple Song of Freedom (Non-LP Single) (Alternate Mix Single Version) (Mono)
    13. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight (Non-LP Single) (Alternate Mix Single Version) (Mono)
    14. I Won’t Last a Day Without You (Alternate CD Version)
    15. Wonderin’ Where It’s Gonna End (Alternate CD Version)
    16. Happy (Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) (Alternate CD Version)
    17. Blue Monday (Alternate CD Version)
    18. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (Alternate CD Version)
    19. Melodie (Stereo Single Version)
    20. Someday We’ll Be Together (Stereo Single Version)
    CD 1, Tracks 1-10 from Bobby Darin, Motown LP M753L, rel. August 1972
    CD 1, Tracks 11-12 & CD 2, Tracks 19-20 from Motown single M 1183, rel. April 19, 1971
    CD 1, Tracks 13-14 from Motown single M 1193F (initial pressing), rel. November 24, 1971
    CD 1, Tracks 15-16 from Motown single M 1203F, rel. June 2, 1972
    CD 1, Tracks 17-18 from Motown single M 1212F, rel. November 3, 1972
    CD 2, Tracks 1-10 from Darin 1936-1973, Motown LP 813V1, rel. 1974
    CD 2, Track 11 from Motown single M 1217F, rel. November 20, 1972
    CD 2, Tracks 12-13 from Motown single M 1193F (second pressing), rel. November 24, 1971
    CD 2, Tracks 14-18 from Darin 1936-1973, Motown CD 3746351852, 1991

Jeff

14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Amazon is now showing May 6 as release date. They probably want to release it around Darin's 80th birthday.

15. Captain Groovy

Hey Gang! Bobby's Capitol Studio Outtake, "Jealous" Now Streaming on The Bobby Darin Underground

Early January, 1963 was a busy recording time for Bobby at Capitol!

Not only was he laying down the final vocals for his You’re the Reason I’m Living LP, but he also packed in a set of jazzy, pre-1928 tracks for a potential album (Stephen Foster’s “Beautiful Dreamer” dates back to 1864!), and laid down an entire unreleased “Broadway”-themed album..

Recorded on one of three days, Jan 2-4, 1963, “Jealous” finds Bobby in the perfect setting – his vocals are seductive, and the entire arrangement suits him perfectly.

The final line seems almost written for him: “I’m even getting jealous of myself…”

Read more and listen here!

Thanks!

Jeff

kennyluc1 and FranklyCanadian like this.
  16. Captain Groovy

Hey Gang - Bobby Rocks His Own Story on "Route 58" in 1969!

First leaving teen pop after a quick string of hits to record more "adult" material (“58” most likely refers to “1958” as he name-checks dates in "Route 58").

A strong, rocking number with a similar sentiment to Rick (who also abandoned “Ricky” at the time in effort to shake the teen pop image) Nelson’s “Garden Party”.

Written, arranged and produced by Bob(by) Darin in 1969, by this time he had immersed himself in so many genres, he was recording for his own label, Direction, so he could put out the music he wanted out there. Not a subsidiary of a major label like Atlantic or Capitol with huge promotional resources, studios, and distribution, but truly his own - Direction Records.

Left in the can for decades after recording the cut in 1969, listen to the outtake on The Bobby Darin Underground here!

Bobby Rocks His Own Story on "Route 58" in 1969! - THE BOBBY DARIN UNDERGROUND »

Jeff

17. Captain Groovy

Bobby's "Mack the Knife" (1959) has just been entered into the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress.

"Recording Registry
    Each year, the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress chooses 25 recordings showcasing the range and diversity of American recorded sound heritage in order to increase preservation awareness. The diversity of nominations received highlights the richness of the nation's audio legacy and underscores the importance of assuring the long-term preservation of that legacy for future generations."

Complete National Recording Registry Listing - National Recording Preservation Board »

Jeff

18. FranklyCanadian

Hey guys -- I saw this hadn't been posted yet so wanted to bring your attention to arguably the 'holy grail' of Bobby Darin recordings... Thanks to Jeff and the crew at the Darin Underground, they've posted the complete mono mix of Darin's "Weeping Willow".

Apparently this was one of the few tracks that was found on a safety reel way back when (and thus spared from the '70s Atlantic storage fire) It's fascinating to hear the differences between the finished track and the early version seen/heard in the unfinishsed Darin doc. This has a much bigger big band sound (with strings) whereas the version most of us have been familiar with used a smaller Dixie-style combo with lone violin, 3 horns and rhythm. A pretty thrilling find in any case... You can read more about it here: EXCLUSIVE: Bobby Darin's "Weeping Willow", Complete 1966 Studio Outtake Now Streaming! - THE BOBBY DARIN UNDERGROUND »

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

20. Beaneydave

21. Captain Groovy

Friday Music is putting out at least a few of those early ATCO albums after Bobby's 80th (May 14) and rolling out starting hopefully early summer - we will hear how they sound! Looking forward to it!

Jeff

22. FranklyCanadian

Awesome news, Jeff...it'll be great to have some of those earlier ATCO releases on 180g vinyl. It'll also be interesting to see/hear what their sources are for the new pressings...!

23. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

He was in the very top rank of American popular music, a real loss that he died so young. His range was impressive, the musical styles he covered. From Splish Splash to Mack The Knife to this:

Does anyone note the significant Sinatra influence?

FranklyCanadian and Beaneydave like this.
  24. Beaneydave

He was so good , so good, what a loss to the arts to leave us so young.
    The first one to cross ( I can't think of anyone before him) from style to style pop/ rock , folk , soul , standards - he could and did do them all and with conviction , and he wrote AND played!
    Totally underrated and much missed.

Peace and love✌

Gersh likes this.
  25. FranklyCanadian

Totally agree, Gersh -- And I don't think anyone (including Darin) would deny the obvious Sinatra influence in his work. In fact, anytime Bobby was in Vegas, he'd make a point of asking the front of house staff/ techs at the Sands, what type of microphones/speakers/lighting/suits Sinatra was using for the engagement. While Darin admitted they were quite different vocally in their approaches, what he actually admired most about Sinatra was the high standard he set for himself and those working with him -- the attention to detail, the specificity of an arrangement, quality of musicians, etc. And while Darin might not have possessed "the voice", at his core was a far more versatile, dynamic performer (and songwriter) who could believably sing anything. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE me some Frank -- but take him outside his oeuvre of swingin' standards and ballads, and he's no longer believably 'Sinatra'. Darin on the other hand could do an album of Ray Charles tunes, an album of folk standards, a Broadway album and Motown album and you totally buy him in each genre.

Of course, one could argue that Darin was almost TOO versatile for his own good. The fact he was never content being confined to one genre is largely the reason why his legacy has suffered over the years. Covering so many genres/styles at no fewer than 3 major labels has made it difficult through the years for any kind of brand cohesion to happen -- which is a real shame -- because you look at someone like Tony Bennett, who's a marvelous jazz artist -- but nowhere near the dynamo performer/songwriter/actor/et al that Darin was. Of course, Tony lived and had another four decades of performing on Darin, but even Bennett wouldn't be where he is today without the genius PR and brand cohesion his son oversaw in the late 80s/early 90s.

Having said that, as much as his versatily might have held Darin back -- it was also his genius. Genius in the sense that he was able to infuse those early rock/R&B influences into his handling of big band pop standards. Were he still alive today, I'm certain he would've taken the musical form that Sinatra had taken from Bing and evolved it all the more.

pudgym likes this.