I miss old type horror films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Might want to check out the Penny Dreadful series. I think almost very Universal monster is in this or referenced. Not exactly what you are looking for but it does not depend on the jump scares so common

2. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

The Dark (2005) used Welsh mythology as the basis for its scares. Definitely no gore or slashings. Obscure, poor reviews, and disowned by the author of the novel ("Sheep") on which it is based. Still I found the movie disorienting and creepy, with an ending so bleak-- the alternate " hopeful" ending wasn't much less depressing -- that I gave the DVD away. An apt companion to the Japanese Dark Water (2002). Quiet horror.

[​IMG]image

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Richard--W likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's not out yet, but the preview I saw today for "The Little Stranger" looked to be like something the OP is looking for.

RexKramer likes this.
  4. moops

moops Senior Member

I have the the complete series on Blu-ray on it's way from the UK, can't wait.
    I haven't seen any of it, but I watched the trailers for the 3 seasons and just the visuals and set design was enough to convince me to pull the trigger.
    Well .... Eva Green kind of helped too ....

Humbler likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Horror for me will always be the Universal Classics. Living long enough to see them go from old scratchy prints that ran on late-night TV in the early 70s, to the restorations in high definition we have now.
    Seeing Karloff's Monster with so much facial detail in the closeups took my breath away.

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

This seems the right place to put this docu. Hope it stays around on the 'tube.
    As well as narration and clips, original actors are tracked down and interviewed, and tell good stories.

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Sometimes you just keep looking for old overlooked b&w films from the past...

I wonder how many have seen 'Night Tide' from 1961 which had Dennis Hopper in it, very atmospheric in a Val Lewton way.

Claus LH likes this.
  8. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

It scared the crap out of me too, albeit when I was 12 years old. Went to see it with a friend in our local village cinema and ended up walking out halfway through the film...my friend stayed for the whole show and made sure he let let the rest of our gang know about my sensitive disposition the next day. :hide: It was UK X-rated, with an age limit of around 17, + or - a year back in the day. The staff at our local cinema weren't too bothered what age you were and providing you weren't sat in a perambulator, would let you in with little fuss.

A few years later I went to see 'The Haunting', again in our local cinema. I managed to sit that one out, but it did give me nightmares for a while. 'Psycho' also scared the hell out of me.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I'd been eyeing the Frankenstein - Complete Legacy Collection on blu-ray for some time now. A couple weeks ago Amazon had it listed for $24, which I think is a pretty good price. Last Monday I received an email from Amazon with a one day special offer of $14 and change so I jumped on it. I also had a $10 gift amazon card from PG&E for taking a survey. After taxes the total cost to me was $6.08. Hard to beat that for 8 movies and a ton of bonus features. I see today that Amazon has it listed at $33 now.

Frankenstein - 1931
    Bride of Frankenstein - 1935
    Son of Frankenstein - 1939
    Ghost of Frankenstein - 1942
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - 1943
    House of Frankenstein - 1944
    House of Dracula - 1945
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein - 1948

SandAndGlass and Scopitone like this.
  10. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

A horror or supernatural film from about 1958-64 that was BxW and featured the cast of about 4-6 persons who had to stay in a gothic type mansion and each gets picked off one by one. One stays alive but as he/she gets to the wrought iron fence the persons gets impailed. A car appears at the end and laments the death.
    I know it sounds like a thousand other horror or comedies but it stuck in my head for over 50 years and I never could identify it.
    Help!.....great thread , John M.

11. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

For pure atmosphere, try "The Witch" by Robert Eggers from 2015. An independently made tale of an early American settler family and their belief in the supernatural. Low-key, intense, beautifully acted, it feels like a modern throwback to silent film horror.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It Follows is a modern horror masterpiece built on audience and atmosphere.

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That's a great little film from Curtis Harrington (who later shot the sci-fi horror "Queen of Blood" for Roger Corman). "Night Tide" goes against the grain of violent & gory horror films as it slowly unfolds a mystery about a woman in a seaside amusement attraction who may, or may not, be a mermaid. It's not really a scary shocker, but a creepy, unnerving film that leaves you wondering what you just saw -- structured much like an arthouse film. The California seaside settings of Venice and the Santa Monica pier as they looked in 1960, shot in atmospheric B&W, add considerably to the film's appeal.

Tim S, beccabear67 and Claus LH like this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Four movies I have enjoyed recently on bluray that I think fit the mold.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, Whatever Happpened to Baby Jane, The Other (1972), and Burnt Offerings.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  15. stever

stever Senior Member

You mean before the Scream crap?

16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I loved Pan's Labyrinth and really dug his dvd commentaries on season 2 Night Gallery, but when I saw his "Dark Shadows" reboot I was turned off by the gum-chewing disco vibe.

17. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I think quite a few recent films have been quite old-fashioned in style, both at the cinema and straight to dvd efforts. The Secret of Marrowbone has just opened in the UK and is quite old-fashioned in tone, even if it takes too long to get where its going. The Lodgers is also worth a look. Not old-fashioned as such, but suitably weird and not gory.

yesstiles likes this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The Haunting

One of the best older black and white horror movies, and far better than the 90s remake with Liam Neeson which was terrible.

19. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Watch the Conjuring and Conjuring 2. Modern horror at it’s finest.

TheSeldomSeenKid and apesfan like this.
  20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

When the remake came out it did spark memories. I cant remember if I pursued the original and if I found it or not. I will look for the original and hope it was it. Ofcourse when your about 10 years old its a different experience bit I dont scare that easy.
    Thanks a lot I hope I can find it, John M.

PS. Googled the film and im familiar with the original slightly. Man, what a great film to many in the business and im proud as a young boy to have great taste. Ill order the bluray. I still have a sneeking suspicion that it might not be the filmfilm.
    Do you know of any film that ends with fence impairment? LoL.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That's definitely the film. The main female character tries to speed off in her car at the end and ends up crashing into the fence I believe.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have been meaning to check out this movie, as recall good reviews, so glad you mentioned it to serve as a reminder to me.

Jim B. likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

Conjuring is another Movie, I had on my 'To Watch' list. Did not realize there was a 2nd one, but sounds like you think both are good, so I hope to see both of them in the next year.

bherbert likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thanks for the Trailer Link. This movie jumps to the top of my Horror Movie Watch List(actually will buy it). I bought the movie 'The Orphan' that was also pretty good, but this movie looks even better(creepier). Didn't Del Toro write the Book and was the Showrunner for the FX Vampire Show, 'The Strain'? That was a fun tv show, and the Vampires were much scarier than the Walkers(The Walking Dead)-IMO.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

del Toro only produced that film, he didn't direct it. However it is still one of my favourite films of the last 10 years and I recommend it to everyone. Beautiful film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.