I miss "The Three Stooges"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

They used to be all over the TV Dial but, don't see much of 'em up here any more. Silly, yeah, violent? I guess so, in a way but, FUNNY.. you bet...

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think I saw some DVDs on them somewhere....

Violent? Heck, yea! Funny? You bet!

Did they actually do those things to each other? How many broken noses did they get?

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I feel funny moving this to visual arts.. but... well.... what the heck. Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

;)

HZ

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

They show it here daily. I'm trying to think where and when but nothing happens.

I'm used to the Spanish dubbing, as I grew up with it.

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

What's "nyuck, nyuck, nyuck" in Spanish?

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, a wise guy, huh? Why I outta.... (BOP!!!) :D

Yer freaking me out! Just replied to this on the Off Topic forum, jump to the Visual Arts forum and.... it followed me!?!? it followed me!?!?

Time to hit the hay!

'Night all! :cool:

7. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Why is it women don't like the Three Stooges? :confused:

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

They never called back.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

There's actually quite a bit of Stooges on DVD.
    Stooges
    Although I think some is already out of print. Check out All The World's A Stooge. It has the one where Curly is the Maja (Maha?). I've never seen my favorite on DVD though. I don't know the name, it's the one where Curly is trying to eat a bowl of clam chowder and the clam keeps coming out and spitting at him.:laugh:

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I never fail to laugh no matter how many times I see the same Stooge Short...truly gifted they were!

11. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I've met a couple of them who do, but most don't seem to.

I knew one woman who had been in several abusive relationships and couldn't deal with the "violence".

I worked with another woman who used a "Three Stooges" test on men that she met. She didn't particularly care for the Stooges, but if she met a guy who didn't like them, she took that to mean that he was gay.

Woo wooo wooo wooo...............

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My wife was exposed to the Three Stooges when she was young (Dad loved 'em!) and she is a fan! She does a pretty good imitation, too.

My nose hurts.

:nauga:

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Just like that, but it gains something in the translation IMHO :laugh:

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Love those Stooges! Have a bunch of VHS tapes of their stuff, the only way one can watch them for right now. WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!!

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Columbia House's TV Greats series has a Three Stooges option. I only have one Stooges DVD (soitanly!), but I can't say it's the greatest quality. (A noisy print.) I would guess Columbia House may have access to better prints.

BTW, I have a book written by Moe Howard about the Stooges. It's a great read if you can find it. Yes, most of their stunts were all faked, but there were the inevitable accidents. Like one time when Curly ran through an open door into a room that had no floor in it, he was supposed to fall on a mattress...and ended up hitting his head on a 2x4.

Can anyone tell me why Shemp always gets a bum rap? I always used to see signs around at local theaters: THREE STOOGES FESTIVAL, *ALL CURLYS, NO SHEMPS*! (Technically, Shemp was a Stooge years before Curly was, in their pre-film vaudeville phase.) I don't mind Shemp, but they do have a point there...Curly's still my favorite.

Used to have all of those Stooges sound effects as Windows sounds. My favorite was always the metallic "CLANG!". :D

And no, I don't know any women who like the Stooges either...

16. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Women just think the Stooges are stupid. They dont get it. Let me put it this way. Do you know any guys who like Meryl Streep or Liza Minneli? NO offense to you guys that do like these two, but most guys dont like them.

Guys like nothing better than good stupid violent fun. Girls would rather cry.

17. Michael

I also enjoyed Shemp...Curly is the all time favorite. Shemp did have some great moments...there are 10 Columbia Pictures DVD's, plus two feature films out now and a ton of cheapo DVD's filled with bad prints...not saying that the CP are great to say the least. Just thrilled to have 'em on DVD!

18. -=Rudy=-

A long time ago, I rented a few Stooges videotapes and copied them, in hopes of getting them on Laserdisc. That never materialized for me. (There may have been LDs, but I wanted equivalents to the tapes I knew so well.) One of the videotapes had the "Curly Shuffle" on it. :D I do plan on some Stooge DVDs, as long as they're not the cheap knockoffs.

They've made more of an impression on my life than I realize. More often than not, I'll find myself saying "La-leeeela-la-laleeeelaaa..." when working on something around the house. ;)

19. Michael

The quality varies on the DVD's...Stick with the Columbia Pictures Series...the best so far.
    I'm happy with the 10 DVD's...I will always laugh and smile EVERYTIME I veiw them no matter how any times I've veiwed them since my childhood! ...They aged very well at my house...My Son loves 'em too! The wife enjoys them also.

20. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

Not only do I do that, too, but I also used to say "Woooo Wooooo.......etc." when I ran somewhere or make a tight turn in the car. I think the ventilator they used when I had heart surgery messed up my throat, so my falsetto is not so reliable any more, so the Curly imitations arre much harder to do.

21. -=Rudy=-

I'm not above letting out a good "RROWFF!" every now and then! :D

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just wish they would put all of them out in chronological order. These best of's they have out aren't that great.

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

There's an episode a friend of mine was asking me about, he's trying to locate it. It was one with Curly and they were in a submarine fighting the Japanese, during WW II.

I vaguely remember it. He told me he heard it was banned.

Anyone know the title? :confused:

24. bartels76

threestooges.com/filmography/timeline.htm

there's actually a handful of "Nazi" related titles and I think most of them are banned now. at least since the 1980's. I would look at the link above.

25. bartels76

BACK FROM THE FRONT. 1943. Story and screenplay by Jack White, Ewart Adamson. Produced and directed by Jules White. Features Larry, Moe and Curly. The Stooges are merchant marines Inky, Winky and Dinky who confront the Nazis at sea. This is the fifth World War II film from the Stooges which parody the Nazis and Japanese during World War II. Length – 17:41.

I found it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.