I need a good subwoofer to review, what are your favorites? Help me!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

People keep asking me what sub I recommend for their various systems. I have no answer, no idea.

What are your favorites? Not too over-the-top expensive, but still with full, non-tubby bass response.

I have to get a sub in here to review, pronto. I've been unlucky with subwoofers in the past but I need to get educated on the latest and greatest.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Many thanks.

2. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

SVS and Rel are two popular choices. SVS range from $399 to $2,500.

3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

This will be interesting to me to watch it unfold. I’ve always had a fascination with subs but never had one, other than in a home theater rig, and don’t know much about “musical” ones. You obviously already have a system which doesn’t need one, so how will you integrate it?

4. Pre-manufactured for music? RELis hard to beat. If you are willing to go in a slightly different direction: GR Research OB Servo kits 2x12 per side as a minimum. Kits and flat packs available. not sure how you'd get some for review.....Integrate into rooms with fewer issues IMO, plus very adjustable.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

REL or SVS

black sheriff, Juan Matus and Ntotrar like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not sure yet, will figure it out. I've been unlucky with subwoofers in the past but I need to get educated on the latest and greatest.

aarodynamic and The FRiNgE like this.
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Interesting discussion to follow.. as I have contempt for the typical sub, the worst of them "one-note" bass units. My recommendation for two channel, no sub. My recommendation for home theater, don't! .. too many speakers in the room.. go with two channel stereo.

conjotter and Fiddlefye like this.
  8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I run a pair of SVS SB 2000 in my little studio. They don't get "in the way" of the music, they just add the bottom octave, as they should. When a sub is set up properly, you'll never notice it. BUT... when you take it out, you miss it badly.

Funky54, LarryP, Jack_Straw and 11 others like this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I like the Martin Logan Balanced Force subwoofers, the 210 and 212. I have one of the previous generation, a Depth, with three opposing drivers. It can rattle the walls if you want, but the cabinet hardly vibrates. Very accurate and not tubby at all.

John K.

SandAndGlass and jtw like this.
  11. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

The Vandersteen 2wq is a great sub. It is unique in the way it interfaces with the amp and main speakers. It uses a 1st order high pass filter between preamp and amp and is driven off of speaker taps along side of the main speakers. It lightens the load of the main speakers and amp. It uses 3- 8 inch drivers so it is fast. In fact since it is so fast it's one of few subs that mate well with planar speakers. It also has adjustable Q so you can tailor how tight or floppy it is. It is not cheap at $1850 but compared to a JL Audio Gotham, it is a bargain.

djost likes this.
  12. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Rythmik Audio. Servo subs, with the options of sealed, ported, and metal, or paper drivers. The GR Research subs are based on Rythmik.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    RND4mGuy, bdfin, Bill Mac and 5 others like this.
  13. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Interesting to me that many (most?) people don’t run a sub. If properly placed in the room and if you have the ability to eq it so it integrates seamlessly with your speakers, a sub is fantastic for music. One note, tubby, muddy bass is typically from poor placement and lack of eq as opposed to the sub itself (as long as it is not a cheapo htib sub), at least in my experiences.

For music I would steer people towards sealed as opposed to ported, they typically have less extension down real low (30 hz and lower) but feels a bit snappier, punchier than ported.

Other posters have mentioned REL and SVS, I can’t speak to REL but SVS makes some wonderful sealed subs.

14. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Hopefully you have the right kind of room for one. I first tried one in a living with a suspended ceiling and lost almost all of the bass. I had much to learn.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've read many reports/claims that the Rythmik subs outperfrom the REL and SVS offerings.

16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

How about an Elac subwoofer?

Lots of buzz on the speakers, but I haven't seen much on the subs.

17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Velodyne or Rythmik servo subs.

SandAndGlass and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

19. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I installed an S12EQ for a friend and was impressed at how fast/easy it was to dial in. It uses an app on your phone/tablet for eq, slick setup.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've never owned any subwoofers so cannot offer suggestions. But I am interested in what you have to say after getting them in.

21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

My tube type stereo system actually sounds better without a sub. Problem is the semi flabby tube bass from tube amp gets amplified with the sub playing even flabbier bass. But, my sub is tight on my Marantz AV receiver. So, it gets used for TV. I use a HL15 Velodyne subwoofer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Aa...nnd we've gone off topic.

23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Depends on what the price is.
    Best value but still excellent performance, Rythmik or Power Sound Audio. SVSound & HSU close behind. IMO, Rythmik is the best of this bunch.
    When you get into the REL, JL Fathom price range it's no contest.
    Seaton Sound by Mark Seaton.

Every Sub Head with the cash I know who owned REL, JL, SVS etc. switched to Seaton after hearing them.
    Personally if I had the cash I'd buy them but Rythmik more than satisfies me.

MTB Vince, pdxway and 4thChoice like this.
  24. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

If we are going to mention Seaton, can’t forget about JTR. They have high output subs aimed more for home theater but I have heard them with music and they are great, they have sealed and ported.

25. Seaton Subs absolutely rock in HT setups! Best LFE I've ever heard (the "After Hours" show at the Audio show a few years back). I only heard it through the HT receiver for music, so I wasn't as impressed, but it wouldn't surprise if it sounds spectacular for that as well. Mark Seaton also know how to set up a room very well for good Bass response.

MTB Vince and 4thChoice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.