I need a good subwoofer to review, what are your favorites? Help me!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Since Steve asked for “Not too over-the-top expensive”, why are we discussing a $20k subwoofer?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Voxativ Z Bass System

I have a pair of Voxative Z Bass woofers here, I think it's $3,900.00 each and I use them with a pair of Voxative Zeth speakers I have downstairs. I've also had a Definitive Technology subwoofer here in the past which worked well (integrated well) but other than that, I'm open at this point to try anything for review at any price point.

SandAndGlass, showtaper and jh901 like this.
  3. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Anything by Rythmik. I use their least expensive 12" sealed unit. Great!

Helom, F1nut, RND4mGuy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Because "not too over-the-top expensive" probably means something different to a guy whose power cords cost more than my house.

5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post here and I don't want to derail the thread.

Unless for a multi channel system, or small speakers, why does anyone need a sub at all?

Because speaker manufacturers of "full range" speakers refuse to give us true 20 HZ-20 kHZ big room filling sound? I've seen specs of "full range" speakers as now 45HZ-20kHZ. What? "You wont know the difference unless you listen to organ music." Huh? Yes I will.

Isn't there a sub-$4,000 full range speaker, that isn't 7 feet tall (Duntech) that does it all with enough SPL to fill a room with high ceilings? With all of the research and technology that goes into mobile devices, DACs, turntables, arms, carts, amps, and so on, why the dearth of such a speaker?

Anyway, I'm glad Steve asked the question, and value his opinions tremendously.

conjotter and SteelyNJ like this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Personally attacking Steve won't help any of us. He probably has tens of thousands in cords and cables, but I believe he gets them on loan. Envy is part of human nature.

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

:p

8. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet, a well integrated sub means you’re not reliant anymore on giant floor standers for accurate, impactful bass. This means people can try more speakers in the small-medium size and still have sound with some weight to it. It is less compromise for people that don’t have the space or don’t want to pay for ginormous speakers.

For those that haven’t tried a sub and have a typical room (meaning not a recording studio) which is most of us, a sub may give a flatter response at the listening position as compared to the low end coming from the speakers. In most rooms when you are seated in the main spot, the best place for the speakers/stereo imaging and bass are not in the same location.

As for brands, I haven’t heard differences if the sub is properly setup and is being played at levels within its capability, ymmv. Before buying try and figure out how much output you need/want and pay from there. As price goes up, so will bracing and build quality which = more impactful music which = good times.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  9. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Not the latest but my favorite, JBL B460, 18" badass, with the right amp nimble and effortless, but likely too hard to grab for a review, but well there it is

[​IMG]

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I use -- and like very much -- a pair of JL Audio Fathom F112, and not a soul who's listened to my system could tell when they took over. To achieve that kind of blend is far easier with (and maybe requires having) crossover(s) to high-pass the mains and low-pass the subs. One unit that does that is the JL Audio CR-1. The other thing needed to make it all work is willingness to move speakers and subs around and see (preferably by measuring) how they work in different spots.

Most rooms also will require some EQ in the bass to get smooth response at low frequencies, and bass traps to control reverberation time. The physics of long wavelengths means that ordinary bass traps are pretty much useless below 100 Hz or so.

I suspect that most who complain about subs have never tried top-quality subs and full crossovers, and/or have not put the effort in to get it all right. If you're lucky it can be easy, but in 20 years of using subs, I've never been lucky.

I know the mandate was "not too expensive," but if you want a music-quality setup, I am dubious it can be done for cheap.

MTB Vince, pdxway and Kyhl like this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

MTB Vince likes this.
  12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Tone down the hysterics. I most certainly wasn't attacking Steve.

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I was looking REL to give my 1.7 Maggie a bit of slam. Ended up getting a used Emotiva Ultra 10 sealed subwoofer. I'm not a fan of their current BasX line up as they've moved to ported designs over sealed. But if you are looking for a bargain, the older Ultra line is something to consider. This is particularly true if you are looking to get Right and Left Subwoofers. There's on on eBay for $230 + $40 shipping.

14. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I still have two Emotiva Ultra 12" sitting around. It was just ok. Can't match the SVS, JL, and Seaton sub for music.

Both amps already went bad just around the time the warranty ran out. Kind of letting me think that there was planned obsoletion designed in.

I opened them up and noticed that those amps look kind of cheap. Sorry to say that I would not recommend those for music fans here.

15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm 59 and have been into audio for a solid 30 years. The last 10 I have been using a sub. Why? Because it is a better way to achieve full range sound in a small to mid sized room. You are free to position your mains for imaging and clarity. Meanwhile the sub can be used to flatten the low end right down to 20 Hz. You can't do this with a pair of full range speakers, you'll never get reasonably flat bass without some compromise.

My suggestions:

1. A sealed unit preferably front firing.

2. Equalization so you can measure to bass to achieve flat response. You can't do this by ear as effectively.

I use a Velodyne DD-12. It has a built in parametric equalizer and comes with a microphone and software to make the necessary adjustments.

No matter what you wind up with positioning of the sub is important and its something that will take some time to get right.

SandAndGlass, DPM, Helom and 2 others like this.
  16. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Another satisfied SVS customer here.

jmrife and shokhead like this.
  17. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

Can you please test a Rythmik sealed sub. They have several at different price points that are supposed to be great for stereo music listening. Attainable to the common man as well.

Helom, F1nut and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Nobody NEEDS a $3000 crossover.

SandAndGlass, showtaper and Bill Mac like this.
  19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Needing and wanting are different.:laugh:

showtaper likes this.
  20. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The latest doesn't mean the greatest. REL subwoofers of today bear no resemblance to Richard Lord's originals.

JG

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Because we can.

jh901, Done A Ton and F1nut like this.
  22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

For music ... definitely Rythmik Audio with GR Research SW-12-04 Servo Sub Woofer Drivers. Their servo tech has done away with the issues that the cube box presents and they are super fast ... fast enough to keep up with my single driver (crossoverless) Omega speakers. Reasonably priced as well and can be crossed over fairly high for a sub of this size.

SandAndGlass, Bill Mac and Helom like this.
  23. JeffTamarack

JeffTamarack Well-Known Member

Apparently B&W is wanting to take Subs a little more seriously and coming out with a new line of Subs that have an auto or phone linked calibration system to taylor themselves to the room they are in.

24. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I’ve been happy with my SVS SB1000, but I’ve always been curious about Rhytmik. Has anyone compared them head-to-head?

Josh

aarodynamic likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Now here's a great idea! How about a head-to-head shootout between two direct-to-consumer manufacturers who both claim to offer the best performance value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.