I need a list of closed back headphones to try for heavy music.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by husafreak, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to! Thread Starter

Thanks. I probably should just play with my existing cans and my new amp (Garage 1217 EmberII) for a while... I may try to hear the AKG in a shop

2. husafreak

Plus I am still having a lot of fun with the NAD HP50's

3. husafreak

Time to tie this one up. As stated I got my closed back phones for heavy music. I got two and an amp! The Garage 1217 Ember II is a great little amp and a blast to listen to. I am playing a bit with tube rolling and it is sort of fun. That is where my old Senheiser HD600's are really useful. It doesn't take long at all to figure out which tubes won't take your head off with too much treble energy. LOL No worries about harsh treble with the NAD or Fostex. But back to heavy metal. The NAD VISO HP50's are going to be my road phones, they isolate well and sound fantastic, if not the last word in detail retrieval. They are not for critical listening, they are for enjoying everything you listen to. And of course they fit my head perfectly. Also the reasonably long V-Moda replacement cord I purchased is a nice addition. My new babies are the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00's and I can't say enough about them. They are a lot like the HP50's but include sub bass, detail retrieval, and a better imaging. For twice the price they should. But no way are they portable, especially with a garden hose for a cord and furniture grade wood ear cups, these bad boys are staying home. I've been grinding away this afternoon with the new Children Of Bodom CD and Five Finger Death Punch and Iron Maiden LP's. I knew there was something not quite right about my Sennheisers but with either the HP50's or Fostex TH-X00's it becomes painfully obvious. I've seen COB live and only two of the three cans listed sound anything like them. If you want to rock you need the right tools. Either of these headphones can do the job. I can't imagine how much money and effort it would require to get the bass quality of the Fostex in my living room through traditional speakers. Thanks again for everyones help. I can honestly say I get it now, the whole headphone thing, but when I started this thread I certainly did not.

4. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

oppo pm-3
    look no further and seek reviews at headfi for pm-3

5. husafreak

Thanks, but I personally think I'm done at this price point and for this type of listening. I started the day with my Fostex and Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets, seriously, massive, I couldn't ask for more.
    But I expect to continue pursuing audio nirvana in a reference quality open back design for really good recordings, especially acoustic music, something to replace my HD600's. I really want to hear what great planar magnetic phones can do.
    Another thread for that!

6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Sounds like you never let them run in. They do sound as you say out the box and not run in which can take up to 200 hours. Once run in they become a fine set of cans! I also find getting an after market quality headphone cable really brings out the best inherent cans!

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Have her plug their ears.

Sounds as if it's actually the other way around.

8. husafreak

Well, Waxfreak, bro, right now I'm jamming econo with the Minutemen on my main stereo and the old lady is watching baseball with her headphones on. Later I may be the one with headphones on. We manage ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.