I need a turntable mat...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shredder, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shredder

shredder Active Member Thread Starter

I've got a ProJect Debut record player with an Ortofon 5e needle and a ProJect speed box. I need a turntable mat and I was hoping to find a suggestion on a good quality mat to replace the felt I'm currently using. I'm newer to the vinyl and I know there are a ton of options. I'd like to improve upon my current mat and get away from the felt. Maybe something that will offer a good lifespan while adding to the sound of the player. Something that I could even keep and use again if I were to upgrade down the line a bit.

Thanks!

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

3. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

4. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I replaced my Rega P3 felt mat with a cork mat and I'm very pleased. No more static cling issues and I like the added sound clarity and impact from the slightly harder surface. I tried the cork mat referenced in post by MikeInfFla and it's good but I ended up making my own from a square 12" cork tile sold at one of the local handicraft stores ( I think it was $2) and ended up using it because it was a "denser" type of cork that I liked better. It took just a few minutes to trace with a LP, drill the center hole and do a light sanding to remove any loose cork. I've been using it for close to a year now and still very pleased. No thoughts of going back to the felt mat.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

There are several threads on this subject, including one I contributed to the other day, the Search engine is your friend!

TheVU likes this.
  6. shredder

I was looking at this mat after thinking initially that I'd go cork. I've been considering the enthusiast angle and it fits the bill. It's just that it's six times the cost. I'm really enjoying the vinyl when I want to listen to some music. It's so much "more" than the same tune in my phone and I just don't find myself wanting to kill a few hours with a CD either. Maybe it's worth the extra bucks when it comes down to it.

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I agree with 1/8 inch thick cork > you can make one for about $3!!! Spend what you save on records!!!!

8. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

try either the herbies or Auditorium A23.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Rubber can t be beaten IMO.

Old Rusty and Wngnt90 like this.
  10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Herbies Way Excellent II, I believe, is very nice.

irender and Nielsoe like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I always use rubber.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I prefer felt (it doesn't melt)...

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Felt is excellent, especially on turntables for which the designers decided felt works best. My own experience with Rega felt mats has been basically perfect - no complaints at all.

I'm using a Herbie's mat on a vintage, direct drive Sony PS2251. The mat works extremely well and was a audible improvement over the original ridged rubber Sony mat.

What's really importnat is to make sure, when trying different mats, that they're the exact same thickness as the original Project mat. Thinner or thicker mats will change the VTA slightly, something that might make a difference in what you're hearing that is not attributable to the mat alone.

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I recently got a $25 cork/rubber blend mat from turntable lab. Works better than felt, but on dry days here I still get some static from it.

15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It is indeed very nice. A very important upgrade step for my modded 1210.

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

Manimal likes this.
  17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Never, it gets between you and the "music"...

Mike from NYC and Manimal like this.
  18. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Vinyl Addict and doublenaught like this.
  19. I cant praise the Vibro Stop mat enough. Best turntable upgrade i have ever made. Not expensive

jfine likes this.
  20. shredder

LoL!

21. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Cork is my go to, although I also sometimes have used a cowhide mat with good results.

22. I use an anti-static mat underneath a rubber mat. No static, good damping, done.

23. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I also switched from felt to a cork mat, stumbled upon one at a local HMV that was the correct thickness for a Rega and had the record label recess. Perfect!

24. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

To the OP: why do you think you need a new mat..?

25. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

I just got the herbies mat, well worth the price tag!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.