I need a very clean copy of the LP "Do The Twist With Ray Charles" on Atlantic, 1961. Do you have?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Me too.

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

So just to clarify, Do The Twist with Ray Charles is a compilation album of previously issued Atlantic singles (released about a year after Ray went to ABC/Paramount), but with applause added between some of the tracks, and a live version of "I Got A Woman." Do I have that right? Is this the same live "I Got A Woman" from 1958 that's on disc 5 of the Complete Atlantic Recordings box set?

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Not sure exactly which live version it is. Tell the Truth sounds live too but it's hard to say with all the processing.

5. rxcory

I checked the samples on HDtracks and am pretty sure the live versions used are all available on the box set. Just for kicks I made my own version of this album using these live tracks, other singles from the box set and the mono single version of "I'm Movin' On" from the MFSL "The Genius Sings The Blues." Had to fold a handful of tracks down into mono. BTW, folding the stereo "Tell Me How Do You Feel" gives a much more pleasant sound than that ridiculous mono mix. I would love to have more Ray Charles from our host!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That version of I'M MOVIN' ON" from "The Genius Sings The Blues" is the WRONG VERSION!!

This is the right version. Notice the difference immediately? Be sure you listen to the ending as well, totally different.

Crazy.

bstumpel, beatlematt and rxcory like this.
  7. rxcory

Wow. I was also wondering about "What'd I Say, Parts I & II." Had to use the stereo LP version (folded to mono, of course) to match the run time listed on the record. Probably not right either. This is a tricky little album.

I really wonder why they used 3 live versions on this. Ray was already at ABC so this must have been Atlantic's decision.

8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The MFSL LP "Genius Sings the Blues" is excellent.

I sure hope the day comes that Steve remasters Atlantic 8006, "Rock n Roll", on vinyl. That compilation of Ray's songs is near the very top of my favorite all-time records.

Hamhead likes this.
  9. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I have an lp that the cover says 'the greatest Ray Charles.' On the actual record the labels say Do the Twist with Ray Charles. Odd. Sorry if someone has already mentioned this. I bought it in the mid-seventies I believe.

10. Steve Hoffman

Same album.

Rickchick likes this.
  11. wayved

wayved Guest

I actually DO have a copy but it is not mono--"electronically reproduced etc for stereo...." 80s pressing (as it had the atantic logo in beige on the inner sleeve...) The Labels actually say Do The Twist With Ray Charles. Learn something new everyday.

12. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

Ok, So that distortion is on this copy too. Thought it just might have been from my well worn original copy.

13. rxcory

That really is cool. That mix beats all others by a long shot!

hutlock likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Can't understand why MoFi didn't use it. Perplexes me.

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow. Yeah, that's great.

16. hutlock

Is that version on CD somewhere?

17. Steve Hoffman

You mean the 45 RPM hit version of I'M MOVIN' ON? No.

Say it with me: "Perplexes me"..

showtaper and rxcory like this.
  18. hutlock

Huh. "Perplexes me" about sums it up, yeah. That's downright bizarre.

19. Steve Hoffman

I think that probably people just assume that the mono version on THE GENIUS OF RAY CHARLES was the original version. But the clue is listening to the stereo version on "The Great Hits Of Ray Charles Recorded On 8-Track Stereo" LP. That version has the chuggie chuggie choo choo start as well. A little elementary investigating would reveal that it's that way on the single as well.

Welp, what can ya do?

20. hutlock

I think that's the frustrating part! You can hear it is different just by playing it for 5 seconds!

Oh well, at least we have that YouTube clip. Thanks very much for posting it!

Edit: almost forgot to say "perplexes me" there. "Perplexes me."

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

My suspicion is that Tom Dowd did a quickie mono remix of "I'M MOVIN' ON" for the GENIUS compilation, lopping off the entire beginning and changing the ending. Perhaps he felt it sounded better with the rest of the songs on the compilation that way. Who knows? And really, besides the 15 of us here, who cares?

22. hutlock

That seems about as likely as any other explanation I can come up with.

23. Steve Hoffman

We know it's a remix, the echo level is way down compared to the single..

So there ya go...

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I gotta say I kinda missed the loud steel guitar that is in the wonky stereo mix but the intro is way cooler.

25. Steve Hoffman

Same exact intro on the wonky stereo mix. Listen again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.