I need good LP Outer sleeves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by akb88, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akb88

akb88 New Member Thread Starter

Hi, I'm getting back to collecting some LP's and I'm looking for good outer sleeves.
    Now, some of the record cover sleeves in my collection (many in my parent's collection as well) are fairly worn and battered, the records in tip top shape though. But I'm doing this to avoid letting the ones that are in good condition getting worse and of course not letting the ones that are a bit worn to get worse.

Anyway, there are a million different sleeves out there so I want some info from experts. I've been looking around and I need advice on which one to get. I should add several of my records are gatefold and double LP. So, the sleeves need to accommodate that.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/69477/-Outer_LP_Sleeves_Non-Resealable_25_mil-Record_Supplies

http://www.amazon.com/100-Record-Ou...0661&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+protective+sleeves

http://www.amazon.com/PLASTIC-OUTER...d=1393285354&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=BCV+record

2. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

3. akb88

akb88 New Member Thread Starter

4. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

5. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I like the 3 mil Poly bags (SLP3) from BagsUnlimited.com. I usually wait until one of the local shops has their 20% off sale and grab a 100 count bag for $18. 3 mil seems like a pretty good thickness, not too thick or thin. Never had a problem getting a double or gatefold in one...

6. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

mikeyt likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

8. hanke414630

hanke414630 New Member

Hope it's OK to post this here, instead of creating a new thread...

I recently visited England and brought back some vinyl, some of which were in the types of outer sleeves pictured. Rounded (or more rounded than usual) corners and a small half-circle cut out at the opening.
    I've asked some vinyl collecting friends about them, and all say that they only found them in the UK, and mostly with picture-discs or 12" singles only.
    Anyone know the actual name for these, and where I might be able to get some? Googling for about two days now and can't find a match.

1922685_10151930956932944_1002091163_n.jpg 1938105_10151930956927944_2065594772_n.jpg

Thanks much! (Have been a fan of the forum for a while, from the sidelines, but wanted to join today to see if anyone can help.)

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I always buy the re-sealable sleeves from Clear bags, great product.

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

MarkO, mikeyt and BuddhaBob like this.
  12. KLF.

KLF. Active Member

I use soundswholesale in the UK for all my poly outer and poly paper inner sleeves.
    I use the poly outers for all my albums the PVC outers get brittle after years and can end up sticking to album covers.
    I use another UK company covers33 for large poly box set outer covers only because soundswholesale don't make them.
    KLF.

stagnation likes this.
  13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

No love for Bags Unlimited?Been buying from them for years.

bobfrombob likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have a couple somewhat like those, heavy duty, rounded corners with a flap, they have a sort of grain-ness to them, very well made, good question, you are right they are coming from Europe, Mine came with a couple Apoptygma Berzerk albums I bought new a couple years ago, welcome to the forum!

Ralpho likes this.
  15. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Sleeve city 2.5s for me. Fits gatefolds nicely and you can even get Woodstock or Tommy into one without a hassle. I think they are the ideal material, weight and dimensions.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I test many outers and still dont get ones that I like,
    anybody know this: http://www.elusivedisc.com/100-PACK-JAPANESE-RESEALABLE-OUTER-RECORD-SLEEVES/productinfo/JPNOUTERLP/

I have a mixed experienced with this: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7203-japanese-resealable-lp-outer-sleeves-100.aspx
    why? that are really good because the glue! dont stay in the flap! I dont know why but dont stay and that is great! becuase when eject the record dont cause damage... THE BAD???? are bad made so dont MATCH!!! with the glue! so a guy told, "the problem is that music direct outers are CLONES FAKES of the elusive disc, http://www.elusivedisc.com/100-PACK-JAPANESE-RESEALABLE-OUTER-RECORD-SLEEVES/productinfo/JPNOUTERLP/ so I want try the elusive, if have the same material than music direct japans and flap match, those are perfect becuase again the glue dont stay in the flap like MANY others that I try.

also why flapped glue? well... I like keep close but I never try open mouth outers, I feel that clean records could get dust for stay open... maybe not... I dont know... so I like close but still dont find the perfect ones.

also this open 6mil! http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7529-record-outer-sleeves-6-mil-for-12-records-100.aspx are good? too heavy? pvc? pvc cause damage... I dont like pvc

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Anyone try the new Sleeve City budget 3.0 outer sleeves?

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

in the next days I try order inners of many different places for compare all and try to get the perfect ones, I know around 3 different, including the popular youtube "blake sleeves". I post my review of all here... I hope soon ;)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. danner

danner Forum Resident

They're my go-to source for inner and outer sleeves.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

The Blake sleeve is what I'm using now and love them. I will always use a resealable type sleeve, so I'm curious how the Sleeve City sleeves are. I usually always order from clearbags but would like a change.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

BLAKES:
    I used! the black sleeves, actually I know Blake (great guy) and we discuss about sizes etc... and yes sleeves are very pretty, records looks shiny, so great BUT!!!! I found some problems and I stop to used,

1. if you use the flap glue, over the time you have a problem, the glue math so hard! and the glue start holds in the flap! so when you eject the artwork that can cause a damage for the glue, also again is so hard open becuase the glue is hard.
    2. with flap glue or not glue, that material yes looks shiny and pretty but after time, start go get ringwear and is a material very crakeable... I dont how explain, get one and bend, is like cellophane paper or something like that.

so, yes great inners but I pass for that problems.

MUSIC DIRECT JAPANESE
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7203-japanese-resealable-lp-outer-sleeves-100.aspx
    thats looks more cheap materials than blakes! not too shiny like blacks BUT! dont have that cracking, becuase material is not too heavy AND the glue DONT holds in the flap! so thats great; BUT!!! here's a bigger problem to skip them... THE FLAP DONT! match!! with the glue haha so stupid, you can closet! (maybe a bad batch?, but mines are like that).

Also! I think or somebody tell me in the past, that are fakes of japanse Elusive Disc sleeves, so maybe for thta reason are bad made and flap dont match.

I try more and review more soon, Im looking for the best ones.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. I hear what you are saying, although I do like the blake sleeves, I am noticing some wear marks on the sleeves, a little blurry rubbing marks, but nothing major. Also, for the cost I am wondering just how long that flap strip will work. I'm sure at one point it will not stick any longer and that could lead to a very messy display.

I do like the resealable sleeves though, I just don't like dust settling at the open portion at the top of regular sleeves. The blake sleeves have never ripped on me, and they do fit some double LP's but not all, and certainly not the new 180 gram double albums. I see they are now selling a resealable sleeev for double records, I'm thinking of placing an order for that as well.

I'd like to try the Sleeve City 3.0 resealable sleeves to test them out, but they are on back order right now.

Man it's really hard to know which sleeve to buy, there are so many options.

23. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I'll just add that the Japanese resealable outers available through Elusive Disc cloud up over time. I haven't noticed any transfer effect to album art, but it is really annoying and makes me wonder/worry. I keep a close eye on it, and eventually these will all be replaced. In short, I'd say avoid.

The 2 ml mylar sleeve available through Bags Unlimited would be my first choice if it had a resealable flap. I wonder if this configuration exists elsewhere, because I like the rigidness and crystal clarity of that particular mylar.

Still looking.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

I keep hearing about Bags Unlimited but never tried them. Are they similar to Clear Bags? The Clear Bags are just like the Blake sleeves, and they don't seem to tear or anything like that, or what others have complained about similar resealable sleeves. My only concern over time is that they are only 2.0 thick. I am very curious to try an order from Sleeve City for their 3.0 version of the resealable sleeve. They are getting a lot of good reviews.

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well as I really needed sleeves and Sleeve City do not know when they will get more of the sleeves I want, I went ahead and ordered 100 standard 2.0 poly clear resealable outer sleeves and 100 of the ones for double LP's. I really like them and have yet to run into some of the issues others have complained about. They are made with great materials and hold up well for 2.0

Sleeve City had the 3.0 and I would have liked to have tried them, but I'm in a rush. Maybe next time, it will be nice to compare them. I don't see 1.0 making a big overall difference though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.