I need help finding a great amp for my Coincidence "Total Eclipse" Speakers !

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tougalor, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tougalor

tougalor New Member Thread Starter

Here's my curent setup...

Red wine 70.2 Mono Blocks 35 watts per side

I don't feel they have enough power to run the Total Eclipse's as loud as i would like. So i'm looking to sell my amps and get a 150+ wpc amp (solid state) that'll do the job nicely. I'm hoping to get at least $1,700 for the Red Wine's so my budget (pre owned most likely) would be $2000 or thereabouts.Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Get a Yamaha AS-2000.

3. tougalor

I forgot to mention that i'm looking for an amp with no tone controls and i have a have a phono stage so no need for it to be integrated as well. thks again

4. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I have the generation before this and really love it. Hand made, then burned in and tested by Frank.
    Synergy 450

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

You might take a look at a Hegel h160. They can be found in your price range pre-owned.

6. tougalor

thank you all so far for your responses. This will be a very difficult decision as i'm unable to audition these suggestions .I am by no means an experienced audiophile person so im going by everyone's opinion . Here are the specs for my Total Eclipse's if that helps

Specifications:
    • Frequency Response: 24 hz - 25 khz
    • Sensitivity: 94 db - 1 watt @ 1 M
    • Impedance: 14 ohms
    • Power Requirements: 7 watts - 500 watts
    cheers

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How big is your room? I run the Super Eclipse IIs. Similar specs to yours, although I don't quite believe Israel's published numbers. I think he overrates them a little. My Supers don't dip below 10 Ohms but I would shave down the published sensitivity (94) by a couple of dB.

I get 18 watts out of the Lamm ML2.1s and don't need any more power. My room is 26 x 13 x 8.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I doubt that you need any more power, with 35-WPC and 94-dB speakers.

If you do trade out of your Red Wine amps, with a $2K budget, you can get more power. But... I think that you might be trading off quality, along the way.

Do you think that you are really maximum out of your amps now?

At what average dB, are you able to achieve, when you turn them up?

You might check out Rogue Audio's Sphinx V2, being a tube hybrid with 100-WPC of SS output.

It might come close to the SS that you are currently listening to now.

A pre-owned Cronos Magnum II, might be another option. Would be in your proposed budget, if you could source one used. Should be around $2K.

beowulf and The Pinhead like this.
  9. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

...and then...crank this up...

Manimal and The Pinhead like this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

95.5 towers fed by an 80wpc receiver + a 250 W 12¨ sub in a 12X13 room here. Barely enough for some of my recordings, esp. the black metal ones. He feels he does need more power. I mean, it's like peeing; when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Get those extra watts OP !! :agree:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Your right, when you got to go, you got to go!

I did give him both a tube and a hybrid suggestion.

Emotiva, has their new 2-channel XPA Generation 3, modular amplifier for $999. It is rated at 299-WPC at 8-ohms and 550-WPC into 4-ohms. That should be enough to get the OP's heart pumping! (I use a XPA-2, first generation to power my front mains at 250/400 WPC).

The OP is not like us, he listens at the 9-O'Clock position. :)

Add a Polk PWS 505 sub, which is a 12", 300-watt RMS sub, for $249 (and less, when you can catch it on sale), and he will be rocking his world.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. tougalor

My room is about 25ft X 18ft and the speakers are facing the more narrow wall. i can turn the preamp all the way and its still not at the volume im looking for.I hate to tax my amps that way as well.as far as to what db im reaching my ears are not good enough to detect that sorry.Im new at this .im a rookie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.