I need some help on a Beach Boys 45 version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm making a CD of all of the Beach Boys original mono singles (As & Bs) and the only 45 I don't have for reference is "Gettin' Hungry"/"Devoted To You" (technically by Brian & Mike). Does anyone know how I can recreate the "Devoted To You" 45 version from the Beach Boys Party CD? I would need to know audible in/out reference points or times, etc. I've managed to find CD versions of all of the mono 45 mixes except "Blue Christmas" and "Wake The World" (for which I had to do fold-downs).

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Boy, I didn't even know they released "Gettin' Hungry" as a 45. It must have sold 3 copies!

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Paul, Did you use The Beach Boys...2 Greatest Hit Cee Dee's as your source for the A sides? Both have all the Mono 45 Mixes...They are true to the 45's...

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Paul, if youre doing fold downs, doesnt that sort of negate the idea of uisng true mono mixes?

6. xios

xios Senior Member

I have two (of the three!-ha)copies of the 45- east and west coast pressings. The A side uses the same version as found on the lp (I can't hear any difference. The B side begins right where the opening guitar riff starts- it has the party sounds, so I guess it's just the album cut as well. The end fades fast.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

and I have the third copy.

mud-:D

8. audiodrome

I only used fold-downs for "Blue Christmas" and "Wake The World" which have never appeared in mono on any CD (legit or boot) as far as I know. ALL of the rest are the legit mono 45 mixes.

9. audiodrome

I used Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 and the box set for the bulk of the stuff. The rest of the oddball stuff and B-sides are from the regular "album" CDs and a few bootlegs.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nice to have those Mono Singles Mixes all in one place!..I still prefer the Stereo for the fun of thOSE...W I D E...O P E N mixes!:thumbsup:

11. JWB

JWB New Member

Not necessarily.

There is a wrong mix or two on there, I believe "Fun Fun Fun" is one of them (they used the album mix).

12. audiodrome

That' why I'm using the 45s for reference.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have a store copy of this. It's credited to Brian Wilson & Mike Love, not The Beach Boys (both sides)! It's the OTHER release on Brother/Capitol (the first being Heroes & Villans--I don't think there was ever a third release).

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Paul,

All but one of the Beach Boys Capitol US singles were mono. The exception is "Breakaway" b/w "Celebrate The News" (apparently here in the UK this was a mono single - presumably a fold down) so you could make a "Capitol Singles Collection" if you include it :).

There is an amazing 3-CD collection that came out on Capitol (Japan) in 1993 (long out of print). It is called "The Beach Boys Single Collection" (Capitol TOCP-7771~3) and it contains all the Capitol singles in their original single mixes (following the US releases in that all but the last single is mono). It also then includes some tracks that were released in Japan on 45 (but not in the US) such as "Hawaii" b/w "The Surfer Moon" and others.

The great thing about this collection is that they really used the single masters not just the LP mono masters. This means you get various rarities (too many to write here) such as:

* Why Do Fools Fall In Love - alternate vocal intro (no drum beat and full harmonies behind the bass vocal part)

* Do You Wanna Dance - "loud" mono mix

* Please Let Me Wonder - longer fade (only very slightly)

* Caroline, No - no sound effects at end

* Do It Again - no sound effects at end

* Never Learn Not To Love - starts straight in with vocals and has "echo" ending

etc,etc.........

I am absolutely blown away by this collection - pure heaven. The best bit? They sound like FLAT TRANSFERS!!! Not a hint of NR, compression or inappropriate EQ!!!

You don't see many around these days but they were readily available here in the UK in the mid nineties.

Oh and, of course, the set has the mono versions of "Blue Christmas" and "Wake the World" you were looking for.

:)

15. audiodrome

Re: Re: I need some help on a Beach Boys 45 version

Damn, you just ruined my day :realmad: Oh well - This will have to do until I can track that set down. I'm pretty sure that the last mono Beach Boys single in the states was "Bluebirds Over The Mountain." "I Can Hear Music," "Break Away," and Cotton Fields" were all stereo. Those songs were never "mixed" to mono (they must have been fold-downs in the UK).

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Only Break Away was in stereo (was Cottonfields even released as a 45 in the US?). I Can Hear Music was definitely mono on the 45.

17. audiodrome

Cotton Fields/The Nearest Faraway Place was the last Capitol single (2765)
    in April 1970. I haven't listened to the I Can Hear Music single in awhile - I was so sure it was stereo - I'll have to dig it out.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Paul,

as Larry stated, "I Can Hear Music" was mono on the 45 although it does sound to me like a fold-down.

As I understand it, the Beach Boys fulfilled their contractual obligation to Capitol records as regards "new" material with the "Breakaway" b/w "Celebrate The News". After the release of this single they were no longer signed to Capitol. However, Capitol still owned the recorded material and could put out what they liked - hence the "Cotton Fields" b/w "The Nearest Faraway Place" single (released worldwide).

Whether or not "Cotton Fields" should be considered as the "last" Capitol single is an interesting question. Capitol released "Surfin' USA" b/w "The Warmth Of The Sun" in 1974 but that wouldn't be considered to be a proper Beach Boys single (of course, this is a bit different as these songs were originally released more than a decade earlier). I suppose that it comes down to whether the Beach Boys had any say in the release of "Cotton Fields" or not - was it their choice or did Capitol just release the best unreleased new recording they could find to cash in on the group while they had the chance?

Whatever your feelings on the matter, "Cotton Fields" b/w "The Nearest Faraway Place" does not appear on the Capitol "Single Collection" box set. Nor did the "Cotton Fields" 45 rpm version appear as a bonus track on the "Friends" / "20/20" re-issue. Indeed, the last two previously released tracks on that set are "Breakaway" and "Celebrate The News". It seems Capitol themselves regard these to represent the last official release by the Beach Boys on their label......

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Re: Re: Re: I need some help on a Beach Boys 45 version

Don't forget, the "Cotton Fields" 45 used an entirely different recording (produced by Al Jardine) to the version used on 20/20 (produced by Brian Wilson). The version used on the 45 was only mixed to mono as far as I know.....

You can find the mono 45 version of "Cotton Fields" on the "Good Vibrations" box set or on the Japanese "Rarities" CD.

20. audiodrome

Re: Re: Re: Re: I need some help on a Beach Boys 45 version

Right again, Malc. I knew it was a different version but I thought it was in stereo. One question - the Beach Boys did a mono mix of "The Nearest Faraway Place" in June 1968 for a possible B-side release at the time - was this mono mix used on the 1970 single or did they use the stereo 20/20 version?

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I need some help on a Beach Boys 45 version

I've just remembered that there is a stereo mix (albeit a modern one) of the 45 version of "Cotton Fields" - it's on the "Hawthorne, Ca." 2CD set.

Can't help you there as I don't have the single. I would doubt that Capitol would be together enough to dig out a 1968 mono mix for this single. My guess would be that they used the 20/20 track either in stereo or as a fold-down.

If they did use a unique mono mix I'd love to know about it!

22. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

There is a rough mono mix on Vigotone's Goodbye Surfing, Hello God! set.

From the liner notes:

"Recorded: 6/20/68, Mixed:10/14/68
    Evidentaly, this Bruce Johnston-penned MOR-ish instrumental was under consideration as B-side material, and was given a mono mix for that very purpose. However, "The Nearest Faraway Place" would not appear on a single until 1970's "Cottonfields"(the group's final Capitol 45), and was heard in it's stereo 20/20 LP mix."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.