I only have a few albums from this year, need recommendations!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Here's a baker's dozen of my fave-raves. If we were personally aquainted I would give you my "money back guarantee" on every one...

Lydia Loveless "Somewhere Else."
    Opeth "pale Communion"
    Joanne Shaw Taylor "The Dirty Truth"
    The Horrors "Luminous"
    YES "Heaven & Earth"
    Chrissie Hynde "Stockholm"
    Rosanne Cast "The River & The Thread"
    Tom Petty "Hypnotic Eye"
    Beck "Morning.."
    Johnny Winter "Step Back"
    Railroad Earth "Last of The Outlaws"
    Robert Plant "lullabye..."
    Black Star Riders "All Hell Breaks Loose"

Machiventa and JimC like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just released: "Plowing Into The Field Of Love" by Iceage. Check it out:)

nbakid2000 likes this.
  3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"New Moon" is the only album from The Men that I have. It's pretty great.
    Another one I love is "A Thousand Heys" by Mazes. Check it out!

mschrist likes this.
  4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Don't know if this is your thing but this album is great:
    Wo Fat: The Conjuring

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Some of my favs from...

2014:
    Tweedy - Sukierae
    Tom Petty - Hypnotic Eye
    Felice Brothers - Favorite Waitress
    Beck - Morning Phase

2013:
    Jake Bugg - Shangri La
    Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
    Sebadoh - Defend Yourself
    Arctic Monkeys - AM
    Iron & Wine - Ghost on Ghost
    The Men - New Moon
    Mazes - Ores & Minerals

linclink and Maddin61 like this.
  6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

20+ years of fun at Rave Recs? You were having fun on the internet in '94? I'm always so late to the party ;)

So, watched that Seth Meyers performance and not bad. "Gooey" is kind of a subdued song choice, but it is one of the singles and they did a good job with it. They were putting out some cool videos for the songs over the last few months or so before album release ... one of the other singles "Pools" below ...

Shake my little soul for you now toy
    And I settle up into a world of noise
    I'm a man of many tricks and tools and joy
    With a battery of guilt on which to poise

I smile because I want to
    I smile because I want to
    I smile because I want to...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Forum Resident

Thanks, that song is even more likeable than Gooey. Gooey - :laugh: - that's a funny word.

So Smart Guy... when did we all take over RR? I know it was before 2003 (as indicated on the site) when they reset our start dates. I suppose my estimate of 20+ years was a little far reaching. :doh:

9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Jenny Lewis - The Voyager
    Tweedy - Sukierae

linclink likes this.
  10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Check out:

David Crosby - "Croz"
    Tom Petty's "Hypnotic Eye"
    the new U2 album (Songs Of Innocence)
    the new Robert Plant
    & the new John Mellencamp

All excellent!

JimC and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

Blackberry Smoke - Leave A Scar live double CD released 2014

12. Davey

I think you go back to 2001, me maybe a year before, here's one of your early ones from the archive ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EE80FA6.php
    Don't know if I mentioned it in this thread, but have you heard the latest from Hundred Waters The Moon Rang Like a Bell. It's a really nice one, kind of electro-pop like this Glass Animals, but a bit darker, nice female singer. There's a few of my posts around here with more info.

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Rival Sons! Great Western Valkyrie is the album of the year (well, MY album of the year)

14. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

From last year ... The multiplatinum selling Stromae-album "Racine Carrée".

Stromae - Racine Carrée

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  15. PanaPlasma

Melanie De Biasio - No Deal
    (vinyl comes with cd, also available in 44.1kHz-24bit at Qobuz)

[​IMG]

Machiventa likes this.
  16. PanaPlasma

Ryan Adams - S/T
    available as cd, high res-download, vinyl + mp3.

[​IMG]

17. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

il sogno del marinaio - canto secondo

18. PanaPlasma

George Ezra - Wanted on Voyage
    Contains all his radio- and charthits: Budapest, Cassy O, Blame It on Me,...
    Overall good album, maybe a little bit too long. Vinyl comes with 'standard edition' cd.

[​IMG]

19. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Latest from Information Society -Hello World, good stuff

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  21. PanaPlasma

Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love

LP comes without cd, although some sites mention LP+CD.

Paolo's big (comeback-)album which was nr. 1 in many countries (UK, Ireland, Belgium,...).

22. Maddin61

Maddin61 Forum Resident

Tweedy-Sukierae ... listen two times and you are lost, vinyl includes one CD with all tracks of the 2CD-edition
    John Mellencamp-Plain Spoken ... one of his top3 albums to me

I cannot second these recommendations
    Bruce Springsteen-High Hopes ... good music in bad sound as usual since about 10yrs, avoid the CD ... get the vinyl, it might sound better
    U2-Songs Of Innocence .... not my cup of tea any more, will give Rattle & Hum a spin now
    Ryan Adams-self titled ... sometimes it sounds like Bryan, what a pity, he´s so talented

linclink likes this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Ty Segall's Manipulator would be my top recommendation for the OP. If you enjoy some garage psych with some glam on top, this should hit the spot.

octaneTom likes this.
  24. snowbunny

snowbunny Forum Resident

God, that seems like a long time ago. Of course, you're right about the year. Still an awful long time to be engaging on a message board.

Will check out Hundred Waters right now. You know I like the ladies. On vocals that is... :laugh:

25. Davey

Seems like a lot of very nice releases this year from the ladies, I think music innovation is really being driven mostly by women now. You know how I feel about Julia Holter and some of the others. But innovation aside, that Sharon Van Etten record I mentioned up above is outstanding and one of my favorites, maybe not quite your style right now. The latest Warpaint record is very nice too, in fact listening right now, and have listened quite a bit. Somewhat similar to the Hundred Waters, though I like The Moon Rang Like a Bell at a more profound level. Did you hear the latest from Frazey Ford? Talked about it a little in the favorites of 2014 thread (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/favorite-album-of-2014-so-far.348675/page-33#post-11198752), she's backed by the same Memphis soul guys that Chan used on The Greatest, and it sounds really good. It was streaming on NPR just recently. And St. Vincent is all over the place now, some very cool music, though admittedly I'm not a huge fan. And after all these years, some fun new music from Cibo Matto! The CD is very loud and that turned me off some, but still a blast. I like the new Blonde Redhead quite a bit too, though can't say it is very adventurous, which is one thing I miss about their old sound. And on that adventurous side, very interesting new one from Jenny Hval and Susanna Wallumrød called Meshes of Voice (probably also a post in that other thread - though if I recall a previous mention I made of Jenny Hval and her last record, I don't think you liked her voice though this is a much different project).

But after all that has come and gone, definitely do not miss the Delines great debut Colfax, very nice sounding music from Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine) and his alternate project built around vocalist Amy Boone (her sister sings on a couple of the RF records, including the great title track on Post to Wire, one of the best records of the 2000's, and sadly so little known, just listen to the crushing "Willamette") ... below from a Quietus interview ... http://thequietus.com/articles/14934-willy-vlautin-interview-the-delines

I believe Amy Boone was the inspiration behind The Delines. What was it about her that made you want to build a new band around?

Willy Vlautin: First up, she's been in a band called The Damnations since the 90s with her sister. I'd known Amy, and her sister had sung on [Richmond Fontaine albums] Post To Wire and The High Country. During that tour Amy would warm up before each gig by singing these country and soul tunes. When she was warming up I would eavesdrop on her and the ways she would sing those types of songs would really move me.

One night during that tour she drunkenly said, "Why don't you write me a record" and I went home and couldn't stop thinking about how much fun it would be to be in a band with her, where she was the singer and I got to write the songs. So, we were off the road for almost two years and I was trying to finish The Free and I would stay home and write song after song, and then put a band around her.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.