I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

To me, this track seemed out of place, lyrically, on this album. It feels like a throwback to his 1964-1965 days.

Back to the library!

Sam - here are a few threads related to the shrill harmonica and the popping "p"'s:
    Dylan SACD sonics
    Popping P's

:laugh: appropriate!

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

One comment was negative about Freewheeln'. Do note that this started out as a mono album and only some of the later tracks were set up for stereo reproduction. But if you listen carefully you will notice that the right mic's were used, they were placed properly, eq and compression were not used to excess and levels did not run into the hard limiters on the recorders. In my opinion those old guys got that recording right; I just love its sound. Even the acoustic guitar is recorded to perfection.

JWH was messed with during recording; is often recorded way to hot resulting in distortion and hard limiting. The tonal quality of the acoustic guitar is masked. Is this a NYC v TN difference? The limitations of the speakers used down in TN were well know back then.

Richard.

McLover likes this.
  3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Richard- Have you listened to the vinyl? Sounds like a different beast, sounds great, much more laid back.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The popping P's don't bug me nearly as much as the harmonica sound. Good reading there!

5. Found a used copy today at Recordland here in Calgary. Before I purchased it I called a&b sound on my mobile, to see if I could still order a new copy of the old disc. The software mgr. informed me that the "old" redbook Dylan CDs are OOP now. :eek: Are there other original Dylan CDs I should be looking for now?

Glad I purchased this disc. It's quiter than my stereo 360 Columbia Canada LP, which I find quite noisy. I bought the LP used in the early 1970s. The noise is probably due to the previous owner, groove damage, etc.

Steve, I can hear a slight difference between the vocal on the title track vs track 2 and 8. I can also hear the difference on the vinyl. That harmonica...ouch!

6. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

You can still get the original copy of this CD from BMG Music Club.

7. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I Have the original cd, this doesn't have the popping P's referenced here. Iv'e always enjoyed the way this disc sounds but if it doesn't have the popping p's, then surely it must be taken from an edited copy of the master.

Does the SACD have distortion on the p's indicating the possible use of a lower gen tape?

Jon

8. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Sorry, just read the thread linked above about the popping p's.

Looks like the SACD does feature this distortion, so am i right in thinking that the SACD is taken from a lower gen tape than the old CD.
    And, that the sacd has been eq'ed and narrowed??

Of course, there is the possibility that the original CD may have been a remix???

Jon

9. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

I think you're on to something here, Jon. And unless I'm mistaken, I believe that was Ryan's point from a much earlier post on this thread. Well, I A/B'd the LP, original CD and the redbook layer of the recent Sony reissue and have the same question: was the original CD a remix?

Steve or anyone: any thoughts welcome and appreciated!

10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I have discarded very few of the Redbook CD's that I replaced with SACD's, and I'm glad, because many of the CD's, especially concerning the audiophile labels such as DCC and Mobile Fidelity, still surpass their SACD counterparts. I could run off a whole list including but not limited to the likes of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (MoFi), Synchronicity (MoFi), Highway 61 (DCC) , Bringing it All Back Home (Columbia) as well as John Wesley Harding (Columbia). I have heard the differences that Steve mentioned on the CD. When I compare the CD to the SACD, I tend to prefer the CD for overall sound quality and listenability. In fact, I think many of the Dylan SACD's suffer from too much high end (i.e. Highway 61, Bringing It).

I still enjoy the SACD, but I'm glad I still have the CD.

11. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

My theory is that the original LP was sourced from an EQ'd production master, whereas the original CD was a flat transfer from the 2-track master mix. The the redbook & SACD versions on the new Sony reissues went back to the original 2-track mix, using different EQ adjustments rather than a flat transfer.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm going back to bed in a minute (too early for me) but JWH was probably mastered on LP over 30 times in 10 years. Which version do all of you have on LP? It was cut in San Francisco, it was cut in Los Angeles, it was cut in Nashville, it was cut in New York City. Each version used a different tape. Boggles the mind. My LP matches the CD pretty well; the LP is missing the bass that my CD has. Yours could be different. One of the thrills (pains) of record collecting and something I was blissfully unaware of for years. Now I'm sorry I know. :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. vintageonevinyl

vintageonevinyl Forum Resident

I listened to the original cd and SH's remarks held true. I then listened to the Simply Vinyl release with the same result. I then started to listen track by track to the cd to hear differences. Interesting ear exercise. Even though SH says not to listen to the harmonica, I never realized just how shrill it is. It makes Bob's voice that much warmer!

14. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Steve and David Powell: Thanks for the replies. I'm of course no expert but could any difference in EQ account for the not-so-subtle differences I'm hearing between both the LP and new hybrid and that of the original CD, i.e., could EQing account for changes in vocal and backing levels? Would the production masters sent the many pressing plants allow the engineers to change those levels?

15. Steve Hoffman

It's my understanding that the SACD is a remix from the four-track. Is this incorrect?

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I am partial to the old stock CD of Blonde on Blonde. It's a remix from the multi-tracks (the original mix has never been on CD). I haven't heard the SACD (which is a different remix) to compare, but the old CD sounds nice to me.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I haven't heard the SACD, but in the ICE CD Watchdog article Legacy's Steve Berkowitz says "They can complain all they want about the mix, but we didn't remix it; it's the original two-track mix."

McLover likes this.
  18. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

That makes two of us. :thumbsup: I first knew BoB thru the old CD and it's very much what plays in my head when I think of that album. I've since been given an original UK LP, but I haven't been able to play it properly so far- my turntable has been in a bit of a state of flux for quite some time now :rolleyes:.

19. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

So, what mix is the original JWH Columbia LP and CD pressings? :confused:

20. Steve Hoffman

If there is just one mix then there is just one mix. EQ, compression, folding in channels and stuff like that can give the illusion of variation but if the SACD wasn't remixed from the four-track then "there is only one" (as Father Merrin said).....Shrugs.

baconbadge likes this.
  21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Check out the link below for some excellent info on BOB:

http://bobdylan.com/links/

(Go to Electric Dylan and follow the links to BOB).

Sorry, this does not apply to JWH. I thought the quote referred to BOB.

22. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

A shudder and a shake, Steve! Just made me think of pea soup...

23. Steve Hoffman

That's the idea, devil-boy!

24. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Off topic:

There is one and only digital release of BoB as far as I'm concerned and that's the SACD releases, either the single layer or the subsequent 2-disc hybrid as the stereo mix/mastering are one and the same on both. All other CD's, including the terribly shrill Mastersound release fall short, IMO.

Back on topic:
    Since this thread appeared, I have gone back to my JWH original CD and have been listening to it everyday day. It confirms my original opinion that the CD sounds more pleasing to the ear than the SACD. I think the SACD sounds very good, but I have a preference for the CD.

25. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Does it have to be a DIDP pressing? Aren't all the CD's made before the SACD came out made from the same master. Also, when did the CD come out? 1986? 1987?