I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I just did an A/B test on the original Columbia (CK 9604) and the redbook remaster (CK 92395). I prefer the original. The vocals seem better defined in the original, while in the remaster they seem muffled and recessed.

2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I always noticed that the bass was much much better on the original.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The beginning of the "loudness wars"? :confused:

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The best US Stereo LP has the hand written deadwax and NW in the trail off area. That is a Columbia Nashville mastering (the old Bradley Studios). The real deal. The non remaster CD is the real deal. I can hear everything Steve is discussing well on both. Could NW be Neil Wilburn? He did work at Columbia Nashville in that era as a staff engineer.

5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I listened to my 2 Eye Stereo pressing (1H/1G) today. The innner groove info is stamped and not handwritten so it sounds like it's not a Nashville cut lp but I think it sounds pretty good to my ears. The bass is definitely very full on both sides of the records and I wouldn't call the harmonica sound shrill. It sounds to me what you get when you play a harmonica on one of those neck holders or if you're holding it in your hand you're not covering the "back" of the harmonica with your hand giving it a brighter sound. I don't have a cd of the album to compare it too but unless I happen to run across a copy of the original cd, I don't see any reason to get one.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Boy, am I ever glad I hold on to all versions of all CDs I've ever had.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What brought this thread back from the great beyond?

9. I finally got around to getting a copy of the original CD. It's been on my "to do list" for a few years since first reading this read.

10. Steve Hoffman

So did you like it?

11. Yes, I like it a lot.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I, too, think the old CD is head and shoulders superior to the newer version, which is painful to listen to at loud volumes, at least when the harmonica is harping away on certain tracks. Neither would win any awards, but the earlier version is the better of the two by a long shot, IMO.

Matt

13. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Not sure if this has been already addressed, but I was wondering if the 2004 NON-SACD release sounds any better than the 2003 SACD (which I do have and cringe at the harmonica).

14. MLutthans

Strictly as an exercise to satisfy my own curiosity, I recently took the new CD issue and tried to tame the harmonica on the opening track to a point that it sounded "nice" to my ears. (Never mind the adverse effect it had on everything else; I was just focusing on just how much shrillness there really was in that harmonica recording.) Here's the curve that tamed the harmonica on the newer CD. Unbelievable. (To be fair, the mono LP is dang peak-y, too.)

Blech.

Attached Files:

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Same as the redbook layer on the 2003 SACD.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Same mastering, but I'm pretty sure the 2004 CD has had a uniform volume shift and is quieter than the redbook layer of the SACD.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ya know, I haven't played my cd of John Wesley in some time....until after reading this entire thread. I have the old US Columbia cd. It sounds as if it's a positive that I didn't get the remaster...or any Dylan remasters for that matter. By the way, who did master those 2003/2004 remasters?

I kinda forgot how good of an album this really is. It's one of those albums I wish I could've been a fly on the wall during :)

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Greg Calbi did the Dylan remasters. And unfortunately in the case of Dylan CDs it's not as simple as "the old CDs are all good, the new ones are all bad." For example, the remastered versions of Bringing it All Back Home and Nashville Skyline are good, and far superior to the older CDs. The latest iteration of Blonde on Blonde is also probably the best, though that is in part due to having a superior mix.

19. Steve Hoffman

Yes, people, please, we are ONLY talking about John Wesley Harding here. It's the only old Columbia Dylan CD that I think sounds any good. Trust me. For everything else, the SACD reissues. (Don't forget the SACD has that "modern" remix of the Changing Of The Guard album, whatever the heck it's called). I don't like the remix much so I keep the original Columbia CD with the original mix even though it sounds like it was mixed on this:

Attached Files:

phillyal1 and Flaming Torch like this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I very much agree. I find the hybrid SACD of SKYLINE in particular to be scary good, not a hint of the brightness issue that unfortunately plagues a couple of the other SACDs.

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Great thread. I don't have this particular album so I can not comment on this.

I have more than once thought that if I were in Steve's position, I would once pick up a realy bad sounding recording and held it up as a realy great sounding recording. And I would love to read the comments here on SHF.

Hmm...suddenly I come to think about a particular scene in the movie "Life of Brian"...:laugh:

22. MLutthans

Wow, does that old Wollensak ever bring back memories! As a kid, I used to tinker with one of these all the time. Long ago and far away, as they say....

Matt

McLover likes this.
  23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Street Legal. The original LP was as muddy as all get out on that track.

phillyal1 likes this.
  24. I'm happy with the John Wesley Harding EU Columbia redbook remaster COL 512347 2 and am now thinking there is a possibility the EU remastered edition is not exactly the same as the CK 92395 one.

25. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I still prefer the mono mix of JWH to the stereo and really wish they had issues that mix on CD/SACD.