I saw All Things Must Pass, Tower Records movie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reg slade, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fantastic

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

cant wait to see it. I worked for them for 10 years.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Where did you see it?

4. Eric Hall

Eric Hall Well-Known Member

I worked at Tower Video on Sunset Blvd, with the original members of Guns & Roses, back in the mid-80's ..... So I plan to see it!

deany76, basie-fan, myles and 3 others like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

They just got a distributor and hopefully, will be in theaters in September. I saw it at the Grammy Museum a few months ago. It is currently making a tour of film festivals.

6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Glad you saw it, and created a thread for the movie. I am interested for sure!

Perhaps you can shed just a little more light on it, other than just "fantastic!"?

crispi and RAM Master Brazil like this.
  7. What's that?

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

The service elevator from Tower Sunset should be displayed in the R&R HOF. Anyone know where it is/what happened to it?
    (for those that don't know, that elevator was used by most of the talent that shopped or performed there and most wrote on or at least autographed the inside. And that's about every big name in music for decades)

bagofsoup and Fullbug like this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Just release it to Netflix already!

10. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I remember a video of just tons and tons of copies of ATMP 3LP original vinyls being stacked and displayed at a Tower Records store in 1970, maybe that was it.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I just saw it over the weekend (at SIFF). I was going to post a thread about it myself, before I saw this one. Really is a wonderful film, dealing with the store's entire history, from the late Fifties onward, features nearly all the key players in the Tower (inside the company, as well as within the industry, including a few very well-known musicians). It's a fascinating look at the huge influence this one chain had on so many people, and the perfect storm of events (internal and external) that lead to its downfall.

There were quite a few former Seattle-area Tower employees in attendance, all of whom seemed generally pleased with how their story was told. Colin Hanks really did a great job with this.

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Is there a trailer for it? Looked at YouTube and I see only interviews with Colin Hanks, not an actual trailer.

13. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Ahhh, those were the days when dozens of copies of albums would be stacked up on the floor. I remember seeing The Beatles White Album like that when all it had was their name embossed on the front. The first time I heard Back From the USSR was in a record store with a high wattage big speaker set up, knocked my sock off! Such magical memories :)

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'm not finding any either, on their website, on their Facebook page, on the SIFF page (which usually attaches trailers, if they're available). Seems like Filmmaking 101, especially for something like this, to garner attention.

15. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Have not seen the trailer yet, but here's the Colin Hanks video that was put together for the Kickstarter:

musicfan37 likes this.
  16. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Neat radio spot for Tower Records with John Lennon circa Mind Games:

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There's an alternate, much funnier version of the Lennon promo used in the movie. It's actually circa Walls & Bridges, when Lennon was living in L.A. (He mentions it by name in the other promo.)

Rupe33 likes this.
  18. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seattle Intl Film Fest... Colin Hanks said the movie will play in towns that had Tower records

Fullbug and musicfan37 like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Worked for Tower in SF in mid seventies. A fabulous time is an understatement.

Greenalishi and Billy Infinity like this.
  20. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I worked at the Northridge, CA store for a couple of years in the early 90s. It was a very fun place to work and I saw quite a few celebrities shopping there, including Michael Jackson on Thanksgiving day. I look forward to seeing the movie!

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Probably see it in Chicago, maybe over the Summer if the distributors for the film allow.

22. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Brings back memories, definitely interested. I love that Tower was open until midnight!

Fullbug and Coricama like this.
  23. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Go get 'em!

24. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

The ticket should be overpriced, just like most of what Tower sold.

Sounds like it'll be a cool flick.

25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.