I saw All Things Must Pass, Tower Records movie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reg slade, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That was a great line and she delivered it so perfectly! "That Thing You Do" and "All Things Must Pass" are both "made with love" films! I have to add Cameron Crowe's equally wonderful, "Almost Famous", as the trifecta! And, while I'm at it, add in the great "bonus" outtake scene from "High Fidelity", where John Cusack's character goes to buy someone's record collection, only to discover that the wife selling them, is trying to get back at her cheating husband! Classic …

2. Chris C

I have that 2-disc set, but thanks for the heads-up all the same! That is really great that you live near that town where they filmed the "appliance store" scenes. Completely like the small town where I grew up, here in Ohio. That scene where they all hear their song on the radio the very first time, is one of the greatest scenes EVER, in my opinion! Tom captured that moment so perfectly and it makes you (the viewer), feel like you are a part of their success!

For those that have never seen it …

Jrr likes this.
  3. Drove by the old Tower Records building in early March, and this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

Beautiful.

4. ITunes has not made the transition well to an app that functions both in mobile and desktop forms. Many of the organizing, moving, and sorting functions worked far better with a mouse, and it seems to me that in transitioning it to something that works either that way or with touch screen has not led to a better product.

And don't get me started on the program erasing album artwork downloads and CD-R ripped tracks whenever upgrading versions.

5. Chris C

Nice touch having the DVD artwork from the movie on the wall! So, let me get this straight, is this really a functioning TOWER RECORDS location again in 2016, or did the "powers" in L.A. finally allow this building to become a "historical location"?

Late edit: Looks like it was done just as a promo for the movie … too bad! Rock on Amoeba!

Tower Records store on LA's Sunset Strip returns to life, one night only »

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. Just a promo, but it was so nice seeing it look that THAT again.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have some great memories about hanging out at the Manhattan Towers in the early to mid 90s. Sure some of the help was rude, but I just avoided them. At the time I was learning Jazz tenor sax and reading a lot about jazz history (some from books that I bought at Tower), and Tower had every obscure jazz album that I read about. I could spend hours searching out CDs of early Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, as well as some more obscure current players at the time like Lew Tabackin.

As a movie buff, I also loved their selection of DVD in a separate store in the Village.

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

wow! this is great! needs more acknowledgement! excellent documentary! bump bump!

9. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

DVR Alert! SHOWTIME is showing this Tomorrow night, Friday April 8, 2016 @ 10 PM Eastern.
    Check your local listings for details.

Looking forward to this!

All Things Must Pass on Showtime »

10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Nice that they licensed the Harrison song for the film.

11. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Yeah I would travel from Monroe, NY, just to visit that place on Saturdays. About a 45 min drive. Was my weekly excursion while in my late 20s, found so many cool underground fanzines and music mags, along with imports I never saw anywhere else. Used to hit up Tower then over to Barnes and Noble for a couple hours. Very fond memories of those days. Gotta admit, prices were a detriment though so I mostly bought mags and just looked at the cd's.

12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Just saw the doc last night -- I enjoyed the fast pacing of the movie because it reflected to growth pattern of the chain. I thought the doc was very well done.

I'm glad the movie went out of its way to show that the collapse of the major record retailers starting around the turn of the 21st century wasn't some obscure or unjust series of events -- the push of CDs onto the market, their higher mark-ups, and the consumer playing along with game kept everyone in cocaine and cash flow for a nice amount of time, but any model like just couldn't last, but it no one, it seemed, wanted to believe that it could come crashing down so fast.

13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Now streaming on the Showtime Anytime application.

14. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Sooooooooo good. Loved every second of it.

Jrr likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I enjoyed it this evening. I reflected on my shopping days at Tower in Phoenix, Mesa and Tempe. I also gave thought to my days from 73-77 working in a local shop and how they grew from very humble beginnings in 73 to a 21 store regional chain only to crumble and die at about the same time as Tower.

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Tower in Nashville got a ton of my money. When they were going out of business I snagged a lot of books marked way down.

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

We a
    We are transitioning out of all IOS apps in both of my businesses, after many years of very happy useage. Very sad. My employees and I have become increasingly disappointed in all the Mac photo, video and audio apps as they are getting much worse every time they do an update, and worse you can't continue using the older versions, some of which I paid for. I was a huge Apple fan boy, and I love their hardware, but for more professional useage we are so done with Photos, iTunes and Final Cut. They are forgetting that the hardware is kinda useless without good sofware. I'm so sorry Steve is gone. I don't think it is a coincidence their software has become increasing worse, less intuitive and less functional since he passed on. It will take a while since they are so big, but this is all going to catch up to them at some point. We are in the middle of paying a lot more and going to the Adobe environment after leaving them in 2004.

18. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

lol. interesting take on the movie.

Jrr likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I probably shouldn't write ranting posts late at night! Let me restate that I absolutely loved the film!

20. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Just watched it and enjoyed it. Kind of ironic that the building down the street from me that was a Tower Records (and lastly an FYE) was in the process of being demolished.

21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Loved it in Hollywood and London. Bring it back now!

22. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I would have made sure I stayed just sober enough for her...;) :) :love:

23. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Just saw the documentary last night.

I found it entertaining, funny, bittersweet, poignant, and ultimately wonderful...:)

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Finally saw the movie a week ago. Very enjoyable.

25. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

The film brought back great memories. The SF store turned me on to so many artists. Without hearing and just based on the cover, I bought Lou Ann Barton's Just Read My Lips, Tower of Power's East Bay Grease and the Pointer Sisters' first album. In Washington, D.C. once, the clerk was playing Horace Silver's Song For My Father, which I loved at first listen. That store also had a great classical section and a whole rack full of oldies. I shopped at Tower stores in Honolulu, the SF Bay Area, the Washington, D.C. area, including northern Virginia and Maryland, and often in Bangkok. But when I saw a store in Phuket, Thailand, I realized they had over-expanded (by a lot). Who goes to a beach like Phuket to buy records (except maybe me)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.