I saw All Things Must Pass, Tower Records movie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reg slade, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

An entertaining film, highly recommended.
    Although their presence in the wider UK was minimal, I spent many a pound in their flagship Picadilly Circus store in central London back in the day.
    Meanwhile, Tower Records Japan is well and truly alive & kicking and as at last year in profit and doing fine. Hoping that continues...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Greenalishi, davers and jamesc like this.
  2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yankeefan01 and LoveYourLife like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It's a shame that one store was not kept separate from the rest of the corporation. Especially since they built that building. I had to laugh when I read Guitar Center is going back to the creditors. Sure, banks with money will have no problem at all relating to the music industries needs! I think we all see what's happening next, sooner or later. Again, laws need to be passed against banks strattling a successful company with so much debt, with them taking out millions of dollars for doing the transaction and then getting rid of all the higher paid talent that knew how to run it, that there is no chance for a success, just like Toys R Us.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Because one joker got 50 people to sign a petition. I always wonder, how do people have the time to do things like that...I wish I did, and I wouldn't spend it like that! I hope they end up with some sort of adult lingerie business with big photos on the building! Feels like that's how the petitioners are seeing the Tower name. I don't get it.

5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Really? Someone petitioned to not save Tower? Wow. I'm with you... hope they open a Condoms To Go there! :D

Jrr likes this.
  6. Do you know the value of property on Sunset Blvd in LA? I think a plaque is appropriate but there is no architectural value at all in that cinderblock building. The San Francisco Store opened in 68, a couple of years before the Sunset Blvd Store and that building is now a Walgreens. Sad but time moves on.....

7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Well, you make a great point about the architectural value. I guess it would have only really made sense if they protected it right after they closed to preserve the aura. I'll always have my memories of shopping there and meeting Spinal Tap at an in-store signing. :)

Mazzy likes this.
  8. And I totally get your point about memoirs. I grew up in San Francisco and was fortunate to first visit Tower there in 68 and then frequently until it closed. I shopped at the Sunset store almost all of the 30 plus times i visited LA. Yes great memories.

When we hit a certain age, lots of things and places we enjoyed so much have closed or moved on...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Greenalishi, Jrr, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  9. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

“...there are places we’ll remember”

Carl80 and Mazzy like this.
  10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Just look at the pictures of Tower Records. All Things Must Pass

11. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

The world, I'm sure, needs another Walgreens.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, it was a dry cleaner for years prior to that.

13. A hoity-toity all green non-chemical vegan dry cleaner at that!!!

jamesc and chacha like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

And it was painted turd brown- so weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.