I started religiously checking/cleaning my stylus after each side..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ctiger2, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member Thread Starter

I wish I'd been doing this sooner. I've started using the Lyra SPT and putting up a light to be able to see the stylus as I clean it. Sometimes I get plumes of micro dust and sometimes there's a clump of larger debris. Most times there's nothing or just a tiny bit of microdust. This is all after wet cleaning every LP on a Nessie VinylMaster as well. So, I'd highly recommend everyone check and clean their stylus after each side. It's probably reduced the noise during playback by 50%. So well worth the time IMO. A clean stylus is a happy stylus! BTW the Nessie VinylMaster has really upgraded my cleaning routine and listening pleasure. The thing is so easy to use and versatile to use I just love it. I plan on doing a mini review of the Nessie at a later date. The Nessie + DIY Ultrasonic is really a great combo to have!

2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

..... And, when brushing your stylus, be sure to leave the tonearm floating. :righton:

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Why is that? I’ve always locked the tonearm down to keep everything stable. I’m very gentle cleaning the stylus. Thanks

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You use the liquid?

5. GKH

GKH Senior Member

To avoid exerting excess tension on the cantilever.
    And, folks; let me say that I do not claim to know much about all this.
    George Merrill educated me on this little topic. When George talks turntables, I listen.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. Slick Willie

While George didn't tell me, it is. IMO, just common sense.

bluemooze and GKH like this.
  7. GKH

GKH Senior Member

:cheers:

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

OP, do you use an RCM?

9. Ctiger2

I use the liquid w/brush before first LP, then I use brush alone the rest of the day. So, I'm only using the liquid once per day which makes things quicker. Works great. BTW, I used to use an ONZOW ZERODUST until the SPT but it just doesn't work as well. As a test, I used the ONZOW and then put the light up and brushed the stylus and microdust billows off it even after the ONZOW. The ONZOW is ok for huge clumps of dust but you really need to use a brush.

GKH likes this.
  10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I use my Onzow at least weekly along with a brush at the turn of each LP side.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  11. Ctiger2

Yes, I have a DIY Ultrasonic and a Nessie VinylMaster. I only recently purchased the Nessie and the cleaning process is so easy I'm wet cleaning every LP prior to playing. So this microdust is after Ultrasonic AND the Nessie. But, it's not all the time. Most LP's there's only a a bit of microdust. But some, even after the double cleaning I'm getting crazy amounts of microdust. If they are that dirty after a double cleaning and playing, I put them on the Nessie and clean them again. The Nessie makes is so damn hassle free to clean. I can push a button and go back to work. Then it beeps when I need to put the vacuum on. Flip and repeat. Very nice and convenient.

12. Slick Willie

Most cart manufacturers do not rec wet cleaning.
    This would be even especially problematic for bonded carts, but some nudes also use glues.
    Personally I shy away from even annual wet cleanings....just not worth the risk and benefits are low.
    A brush and/or Zerodust are all that is needed.
    And....how the hell can one see microdust???
    I suggest that you are suggesting that folks use a method for short term gain (and subjective at that) while ignoring long term harm.
    Anyhoo....rock on!

DaMoodyBlues, mreeter, 4-2-7 and 3 others like this.
  13. Ctiger2

I lay a flashlight on the table and you can easily see the microdust billowing off the stylus. But like I said, most times it's not that bad. But you really do need to check it however often you want to. All I'm saying is increasing the checking/cleaning for me has reduced noise during playback by 50% or better and to me it's worth it. My cart is a Dynavector Karat 17D3 which has a very short/strong cantilever.

14. Slick Willie

Life is dusty, you will never eliminate it even wet cleaning between every track.

Many moons ago, I had a neighbor in his mid/late 80's that after having his fallen leaves removed would go out in the yard with a bucket and catch falling leaves that had clung on.
    Your methodology reminds me of his practice.
    Did it keep his yard cleaner? Well, I'm sure it did....but ya' couldn't tell by looking at it.

50% less noise?
    I suggest that you are grossly exaggerating!
    Absolutely keep the LP and rock clean, but if you are that OCD....perhaps digital is the format for you?

I truly don't want to be rude, but really?

:shrug:

L.P., Graham, Scott222C and 8 others like this.
  15. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Spotlessly clean is the goal whether by brush, Zerodust, electronic cleaner, Linn paper or all four. But hell, go easy on the SPT unless you own a Lyra! Ask me how I know.

16. Slick Willie

How?

Daddy Dom likes this.
  17. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Because my stylus fell apart, despite my following Lyra's instructions to the letter. You need so little it became impossible to apply using the huge brush they include.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

As soon as I saw this, I thought

You where doing This^^

And always will be

Here's a tip even though you clean the record and vacuum it, it's still damp. Depending on what is damp in the grooves it can stay soft and your stylus is carving it out. I always say people doing this are wet sanding the groove.

Wash and vacuum the records your going to play but at least let them air dry for 30 minutes. Better yet clean your records let them air dry and put them in new sleeves and file them for when you want to play them. You don't need to wash your records every time you play them, in fact I would not recommend it. The more we handle records the higher the likely hood we damage them, scrubbing on records every time you play them will cause more harm than good.

The same goes for your stylus, if your records are clean and dry, you will not have all that goop on it. The more you touch the stylus with a brush the higher the likely hood you'll damage it. I don't clean my stylus that much, maybe after ten records, but my records are clean and dry, many brand new.

ubiknik and robertawillisjr like this.
  19. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

it really does help after a cleaning, the stylus can scrape a lot of crap out of the grooves, clean it often with a magic eraser! BE GENTLE.

20. Slick Willie

So...are you suggesting not to wet clean?

21. Slick Willie

Better still, keep the LP clean!

22. Ctiger2

lol, my point of the thread was simply, if you're having vinyl playback issues with crackling etc you should check your stylus and clean it with a brush. I'd guess a lot of people complaining about new pressings being noisy etc it because their stylus is just very dirty. Oh yea, and the ONZOW is garbage compared to a brush. Also just to reiterate, I'm not always getting microdust after playback. Microdust is the exception, not the rule. I typically only get it on used LP's, which I've been buying a lot of lately. I wetclean each new LP prior to playback and there's little to no microdust.

23. Slick Willie

Ha! No, the Onzow is not garbage. It rocks!
    Wet cleaning will not resolve cracking, it may temporally alleviate it.......but......

recstar24 and GKH like this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I clean after every full LP play. I've never had any issue with unglued stylii falling out or anything like that. Lyra's engineer recommends it because, as I recall, he wrote on a forum somewhere that microscopic build-up forms on the stylus after every play and that being diligent about cleaning will extend stylus life. Considering how expensive these things are, I'm all for that.

Besides that, I live in a super dusty environment. Way it goes.

classicrocker likes this.
  25. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

that was mostly meant for used and loved vinyl that has never been cleaned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.