I think I just wreck'ed my turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hawklord, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a 1979 Rega P2 with all stock parts.(J-shaped RB200 tonearm) I had swapped out cartriges adjusted the bias dial, didn't like what I heard so put my Bluepoint special back on and while adjusting the bias I think I stripped the dial, because it just WILL NOT adjust. :realmad: It's probably time to upgrade anyway but If anyone knows if I can fix this I would appreciate any suggestions.

Now as to upgrading I have 3 choices to choose from ;
    Rega P3 for $900.00 no cart
    MMF 7 for $1200.00 with Goldring cart.
    Rokcan Radius5 not sure of price, waiting for a e-mail but I suspect around $1200.00 to 1400.00. All prices Canadian. I know that there are a lot of Rega lovers on this board (I am one), but opinions on these other two would be helpful.
    :help:

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Gee, tough choices. All three will sound fine. Having just come from the Montreal Show, I'd definitely add the Pro-ject lineup to your list as well (I'd rather deal with Sumiko than Music Hall). The Rega and the Roksan will be set-it-and-forget-it tables, as will many of the MMF's and Pro-jects. As you already have a very nice cartridge (the BPS, not to mention whatever your other cartridge is that you were swapping out when you stripped the RB200 arm), I wouldn't worry to much about having a cartridge tossed in with the table. Budget more for the table itself, use your present cartridge (as its better than any of the throw-ins), and save up if you feel the need (or urge) to upgrade.

4. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Don't feel so bad. Last week I cleanly sliced off the stylus and cantilever for my Koetsu Rosewood with the edge of a slippery LP. $880 for a new retipping, and it will take a month because it has to go to Japan. :-(

5. Hawklord

Thanks, I have read over at The Asylum that Music Hall can be difficult to deal with but the MMF 7 seems to fit the budget at present. The Radius with a corus black cart will be about 2000.00 with taxes (without cart probably about the same as the MMF 7 at about 1500.00). What to do? what to do?

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have no idea how to convert US prices to Canada, but in the US the VPI Scout goes for $1600 with arm. While it is the bottom end of the VPI line, this is a TT that benefits from all of the design work that was done on the rest of the VPI line (which really gets expensive).

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Can the tonearm be replaced? Just curious--some turntables, you're able to put a different arm on.

8. Hawklord

I can replace the tonearm. As a matter of fact I took it off this morning. I noticed that the antiskate had a screw underneath the housing so I removed the arm to access the screw. when I disassmbled it I found that the Anti skate control is a nylon belt with teeth to match the teeth on the dial. Everything looks fine but when reassembled I still can't get the antiskaate right. I may infact check out another arm. The thing is, that an RB300 is close to 700.00 Cdn the last time I checked. (it has been awhile) for 200.00 more I can have a new P3. but I will check prices again today.

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The issue would be if the plinth hole is correct geometry for whatever tonearm is selected. Question two would be if the straight Rega arm would fit where an s-shaped Rega previously resided. :confused:

10. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Measure the distance from the center of the spindle(or bearing) to the center of the arm hole. When you determine this "pivot to spindle" distance, it will be easy to choose the correct arm by checking their specs.

11. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

YEEOUCHH! That's gotta hurt!

Just a rite of passage of t/t ownership though, I guess.

Many years ago I did a similar thing with a Dynavector Ruby Karat while cleaning the stylus.

12. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Hawklord, I can sell you a RB300 that's had very little use from new if you decide to go that way. It's from a friends Linn t/t, and was replaced after about 4 months for an Ittok arm that was brought back from the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.