I, Tonya movie starring Margot Robbie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stormrider77, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

"Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard

I had never heard it before either, but I really liked it.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I think that's it, just listened to a clip of it. Thanks!

3. The Hud

No problem! :)

4. Her declarations of innocence regarding the Kerrigan incident doesn't pass the smell test. Her husband's testimony regarding her knowledge of the plot beforehand seems credible to me, and more importantly, to the prosecutors who charged Tonya with conspiracy (a charge she pled guilty to BTW). And this crap about how the judges were mostly reducing her scores because she was viewed as some "rube" could certainty use some actual evidence to back it up, rather than conjecture and woe-is-me whining from Tonya and speculation by her sympathizers.

All that said, I think I want to see this movie. I liked Oliver Stone's JFK too, and that also had a purported true story that actually resembled a large chunk of Swiss cheese.

DHamilton and quicksrt like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

As I said, during that period, my wife and I watched a ton of skating, and she wasn't the only skater marked down for not being the "right sort". We saw it over and over.

6. You can appreciate how you and your wife's observations don't convince me. And I can appreciate that my continued skepticism is no concern of yours and I respect that.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Feel free to check out discussion about that era of skating on Usenet via Google Groups. It was a major issue, not just grumbling by fans afterwards. The elimination of "school figures" was only one of the solutions to stodgy judging of the time.

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. Will do.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. The Hud

I would say that when she was performing a more difficult program, Including completing the triple axel when no one else was, and getting lower scores is enough proof for me. I find it pretty obvious that the skating community as a whole has a stick up their butt.

scousette and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. You may be right, but that is still no justification for what happened to Nancy Kerrigan....with Tonya's full knowledge and encouragement.

11. The Hud

Of course not.

12. I know you weren't implying that, I just wanted to make that clear as I thought that was a far more important issue regarding the veracity of the movie's story. I think I was likely mistaken regarding how Tonya was treated by the figure skating establishment, but also remember Nancy K. was not exactly from a Boston Brahmin family herself.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My son is 18 and wants to see all the films with Oscar nominations (in any category) so he went to see it this week. I had to explain to him that I watched this all unfold on live TV.

4xoddic likes this.
  14. The Hud

First, I would say to keep in mind that the movie is not a documentary.

I don't want to say too much until you see the movie, but if things truly went down as they do in the movie, the aftermath for Tonya may have been a little different.

I happen to believe that we will never know the whole truth of what happened.

I don't think that the movie was made to change anyone's mind. It is just a crazy story that was the basis for a very entertaining movie, IMO.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. I have read a synopsis of the movie so I am aware of how certain events play out. Oliver Stone's JFK movie was not a documentary either, but was hugely effective at convincing folks that JFK's assassination was not by LHO alone. I can see this movie whitewashing Tonya's role in the battery on Nancy Kerrigan and leading to her public rehabilitation -in fact it appears to be already well under way. And you are correct, there is really only a few people who will know beyond a certainty of doubt what transpired -and even they can self-delude themselves about what happened years ago. We can form our own opinions about what probably transpired based on the evidence presented. Tonya paid a price for her role -no jail time, but professionally she was finished, so I have no axe to grind here. I have very little doubt concerning her role in the Kerrigan incident -this movie wont change it, but hey, it sounds entertaining and I'm up for watching it.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  16. The Hud

I haven't really seen any redemption for Tonya. I would say most people don't really care nowadays, which I guess is better than being truly hated.

17. Tonya at the Golden Globes, Good Morning America and this movie premier. Not bad for a convicted felon (hindering prosecution).
    https://pagesix.com/2018/01/08/tonya-harding-comeback-drops-jaws-at-golden-globes/
    Margot Robbie Can't Contain Her Excitement as Tonya Harding Joins Her at I, Tonya Premiere
    Video: Tonya Harding speaks out 23 years after Nancy Kerrigan attack

18. The Hud

She did her community service and has been banned for life from skating, I think she is allowed to go to a movie.

I think there are plenty of people who hate her and always will.

19. She has no shame...and please she went to a premiere in all its glitz. Not exactly what’s you or I could do.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did Harding ever do those non-competitive "has-been" arena skating tours with other ex-olympians? I wouldn't think the ban would cover that.

21. Not banned from those, but effectively shunned and not asked to join them.

22. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Tonya Harding is America baby!!!!!

think about it, we love this stuff.... i'm so going to see this movie

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm confused here - is this celebrating Tonya?
    The press I've seen on TV seems to imply that.
    So was Tonya really innocent?
    And misjudged and now this is her true story?

What the heck??

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Somewhat, yes. I'd say it celebrates her talent and what could have been to an extent.

Innocent? That's a gray area. I'd say she was probably misjudged. Just go see the movie and enjoy it. You probably will.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

On the most literal level, the movie presents Harding's longstanding claim that she knew nothing about the attack beforehand and only engaged in covering it up. It also shows the huband only authorizing and paying for threats, not an actual attack, which surprises him as much as Tonya.

However, the movie is postmodern as all get-out, relaying the facts from several unreliable narrators: Tonya, her mother, her husband, a TMZ reporter, etc. Their narratives are frequently undercut by each other or events depicted on screen. Tonya even has a monologue declaring the truth subjective. So the audience's faith in the narrative is called into question immediately and repeatedly.

The preview gives a good taste of the film and how it presents itself. Robbie's reading of the line, "Who would do that?" is clearly meant to raise the question, not answer it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Pete Puma and The Hud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.