I took the plunge: Inglot does Foreigner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

OK, I bought the Rhino Foreigner "4" remaster.

It sounds the same as the Ted Jensen remaster, except Inglot's version has a bit more clarity and depth. Many were worried that the Rhino CD would have a thin, trebly sound. Nope! This thing is less compressed than the Jensen disc. It is also a bit cleaner.

In the liner notes producer Mick Jones says he feels pride when he hears the 5.1 version. I guess that's his seal of approval.

2. Kym

Kym Former Resident

And here I am, mulling over whether I should buy the Ted Jensen 4. Thanks for the heads up, Grant!

Are you saying that this newest remaster sounds better than the 4 tracks on the Juke Box Heroes anthology?

These days, it's very hit-or-miss with Bill Inglot. I reluctantly bought the Gordon Lightfoot Complete Greatest Hits and was pleasantly surprised that it sounded pretty decent, EXCEPT for the drums in "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald." The snare/hi-hat doesn't sound as crisp as previous releases; it sounds buried under something. I'd hate to find out WHAT.

I heard that The Cars' Complete Greatest Hits sounded horrible.

I wonder how the upcoming Foreigner Complete Greatest Hits will sound like?

3. Grant

Kym,

I have not heard the Foreigner anthology as I have all their individual CDs All I can tell you is that both the Inglot and Jensen remasters are better than the 80s standard CD Atlantic issue to my ears on my system.

Is the "Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" on the new compilation the single edit or the long version? If it is the 45 edit, it may explain the "buried" drums. Higher generation tape.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

Thanks for the heads up! What is the new avatar? Wild Cherry?

Bob

5. Grant

Re: Re: I took the plunge: Inglot does Foreigner

Yeah, you got it. It's the cover of their popular, yet somewhat commercially disappointing second album, "Electrified Funk". The quote below comes from the first single from their third album frim 1978, "I Love My Music".

6. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: I took the plunge: Inglot does Foreigner

While not their best...I do have a copy of "I Love My Music"...Always loved their covers.

7. Grant

Yeah, they released one more album after that but I didn't think it was worth getting after the disappointment of "I Love My Music".

8. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Gordon Lightfoot/The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

They're both the long version (6:28). You know, I just a-b'd the original Summertime Dream CD and the Complete Greatest Hits CD, and the drums sound the same. I must have been hallucinating the last time I heard it...:rolleyes:

As far as the single edit being on CD, I don't know. I'm sure Bradley will chime in soon.

9. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Grant, I never had the original 4 album, so I wanted to know if the Ted Jensen CD packaging is more faithful to the original LP than this new Rhino remaster? Are there good liner notes in this new one, too?

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I read on BSN a few years ago that some Reader's Digest comp from 1988 has the 45 version but I've never seen it. On readily available CD's, only the re-recording on Gord's Gold Vol. 2 (lousy recording) or the LP version are available on CD, but this is no big deal as the commercial 45 version only edits 31 seconds out of the album cut.

11. Grant

Re: Gordon Lightfoot/The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Actually, I recreated the editied version of "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" and I still owe Bradley a copy of it.

No Brad, I didn't forget!:D

12. Grant

The graphics on the back of the jewel case match the original LP on the Ted Jensen CD. The liner notes are informative on the Rhino CD. BUT, the Rhino CD label resembles the original LP label. The Jensen remaster just uses the generic Atlantic 1969- label.

I think it gets ridiculous when there is nothing much left to base a decision on other than the packaging! (Steely Dan, take note!)
    The Rhino CD has two bonus tracks that are worth owning, I think.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I still want the 45 edit of Edmund Fitzgerald anyway as I am a Lightfoot buff. For the casual fans it isn't as essential.

14. Grant

But it matters where and how the edits were done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.