"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (1978 film) on blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

WHAT? I need to get this on order right away!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Product details

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

What was really weird about this film is that it was originally a Universal release, but it never had a video release until the early 1990's. And when it came out on video initially, it was by Warner Home Video.

Anyone know the reasons for both of these facts?

5. 5th-beatle

I realize Amazon shows it as a Region-B locked disc, but sometimes their info is incorrect. I'm hoping this is the case. That's why I'm looking for a picture of the back cover, to be sure.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Super funny movie.

7. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Warner released the movie on VHS in 1989 at the same time they released the Andrew Solt documentary "Imagine: John Lennon." (Warner also did a laserdisc, but I don't know if it was at the same time as the VHS.)

I always assumed this was picked to compliment the documentary release. Could be someone at Warner Home Video was a fan, or someone figured they had some untapped potential releasing a Robert Zemeckis film to home video. Zemeckis was in between "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Back to the Future Part II" at the time. Obviously it was only a license, as Universal still has the home video rights and put it out on DVD. In the late 80's, I assume Universal had no desire to try clearing the music. But if Warner had already been working on clearing the music in the Lennon documentary, maybe there was a benefit to clearing the music for the Zemeckis film at the same time...

Vidiot and Vahan like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Amazon by default lists just about every UK release as "Region B" (or, for DVD, "Region 2"), even many releases that are Region-Free. It makes sense on their end; it's the safe thing to do and to assume.

Studios tend to have a pattern of either be region locked or region-free. I don't know anything about "Fabulous Films Limited" and whether their releases tend to be region locked or not. It might be worth emailing.

I emailed Eagle Vision/Eagle Rock about a UK Blu-ray once, and they quickly were happy to let me know it was region-free.

5th-beatle likes this.
  9. 5th-beatle

I understand. Hopefully someone who has purchased this disc can provide a definitive answer.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is a good movie. The stuff they did with the Beatles showing their real faces on the monitors while the double/actors walked around was very, very clever. Zemeckis is a very interesting filmmaker.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Definitely one of my favourite music films. The whole cast is terrific. I love the scene when Nancy Allen finds herself alone in the Beatles' hotel room and the ending is great.

Sadly, both Theresa Saldana and Wendie Jo Sperber have passed away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.