I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Also the voice of the bratty kid in Polar Express, another Robert Z movie.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I didn't know that!

3. Michael

you just wanted to be there! I know I did...

4. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Hi Michael how are you?:wave:

5. Michael

OK! How are you sweetheart? : )
    give me a PM.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  6. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I'm doing fabulous thank you ! ok I will

7. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

[​IMG]
    He was also great in the movie 1941. Sitting in the Ferris Wheel with the late Murray Hamilton. One of my favourite scenes in the movie.

8. Michael

yes, I remember him in this...

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  9. Michael

: )

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's not a media problem; it's a rights problem. They never sell rights "in perpetuity" for music this important. At best, I would guess it was a 5-year or maybe a 10-year rights thing. They could syndicate the HD version on TV, because TV rights are negotiated up front, but because home video is a sale, different rights and prices apply.

It is true that the rights for home video (Betamax/VHS/Laserdisc) were at one level in the 1980s-1990s, another level for DVD in the late 1990s, and another level for HD Blu-ray in the 2000s. A lot of that is not so much because of the format but because of the passage of time. Mastering costs are kind of negligible: I doubt if it would even cost $50K to remaster I Wanna Hold Your Hand to 4K nowadays. But the music rights for North America would be crazy/ridiculous.

I had a long talk with a VP of Paramount in the 1980s about the movies American Hot Wax and FM, and he explained in detail why those movies had a lot of issues coming out on home video. Basically, the home video music rights cost more than the films ever made in theaters. He felt it was unfair that artists and labels had one idea of what the rates should be, and studios had another. And as a result, there's a ton of movies that most likely will never come out on home video, because the music rights would basically be somewhere north of $50K-$100K per song, which would cost millions for some films.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, then I guess we should thank our lucky stars George Lucas became successful or else American Graffiti might never have come out.

fr in sc and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's pretty much the only funny scene in the movie, IMO. Deezen did obnoxious and annoying well! :)

Steve Litos and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I've loved this film since I saw it on TV back in the mid 80s. I was a Spielberg fan and became a Zemeckis fan after "Back to the Future" came out. When I found out they had collaborated on a Beatles-themed film, I was dying to see it. Thankfully, it did turn up in syndication every once in a while. There was no VHS until 1989.

I'm jealous you saw it in a theater. I would be curious to see it from a 35mm print, but a DCP or even a DVD would work just to see it with an audience. A couple years ago, I saw the New Beverly in LA was showing a 35mm print, and I was so bummed to be on the other side of the country. If that happened today, I could probably splurge on a 2-3 day getaway.

Someone does need to be given the proper props for obtaining the proper prop Rickenbacker for the film, however. The one in dewey02's still is the correct one with a gold pickguard rather than the white pickguard that most people associate with Lennon. The replacement Rickenbacker was introduced after the band played Carnegie Hall on February 12th.

My suspicion is that good timing played a role in "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" coming out on home video at all. When it was released on VHS and laserdisc in 1989, it was licensed by Warner Home Video as a pairing with their release of the "Imagine: John Lennon" documentary. The US DVD came in 2004 (back at Universal), probably benefiting from not just the 40th anniversary of the Beatles arriving in NYC, but also the 10th anniversary of Zemeckis' "Forrest Gump." These seem to be the kind of higher-profile intersections which theoretically justify the licensing costs.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

It was a digital presentation and looked quite good. After seeing Inigo Montoya's coup de grâce scene with Count Rugan in The Princess Bride ruined by a repaired break in the 35mm print at the Gene Siskel Film Center, I have promised myself that I am never seeing another 35mm print again if I can avoid it. Film is dead to me.

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I also loved Belushi!

16. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Saw it in the theater in 1978. Hilarious. Owned it in various formats. Great film.

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I couldn't have guessed this was 1978. All this time I'd thought it was just a really good made for tv feature from the '80s where I first encountered it. I'd rank it with Peggy Sue Got Married... great on tv, probably would've felt a bit underwhelming in a theater. Definitely memorable and well done.

Steve Litos likes this.
  18. Way too well for me, I can't stand him! Imho, his career was one long bad Jerry Lewis impersonation.

19. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

He was also in War Games ...remember he is the one who says " go through Falken's maze" and the WOPR was never the same...."shall we play a game?"

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're dead to me!

DEEZEN RULEZ! KEVYWEVY DROOLZ!!!

kevywevy likes this.
  21. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

The movie did have an early 80s videotape release.

I remember it being in the catalogue for Bellwood video, but we never rented it.

But as others have said, I believe I saw it on a "early late night" movie in the mid 80s.

Fun movie!

The ensemble cast were mostly character or "tv grade" actors but are very likable in the movie playing high school students.

Zemekis actually reused a joke for Back To The Future that doesn't really work in this movie.

Marc McClure drunkenly goes to a hotel room to resuce his would be girlfriend and I thought he uses the "Take your damn hands off her" line.

Also it made me want to check out the alley next to the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Turns out there's not really an alley at all for a limo to hang out in but maybe 3 very large doors built into the side of the theater which is on the cross street side.

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's hot! :righton:

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

People who really love film forget the reality of horrible splices, scratches, dirt, and damage. It's a real pain in the ass to see that projected. Even worse if key moments are missing due to rips and splices.

Also released on laserdisc in 1989, which I owned:

[​IMG]

It's come out on DVD a couple of times, but for whatever reason, still not on HD or Blu-ray as far as I know. It's interesting that Zemeckis -- a guy who had made the Back to the Future movies for Universal, netting them hundreds of millions of dollars in profit -- couldn't get Universal to re-release it on home video. By 1988, he had moved over to Disney and made Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which makes the WB release even weirder.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yep. Young audiences will never remember the joys of sitting in theater's waiting when a film breaks in the middle of a key scene of a movie or when they are having other projection issues.

Yes sir, those were the good old days...

Vidiot, musicfan37 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I've only had a digital projection fail once, out of at least 500 digital screenings. That's a pretty good track record.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.