I want to press up my album on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm checking out pressing plants...obviously, I'm looking for a decent sounding pressing with a minimum of inconsistency: warps, off-centre pressings, noise, etc.

Having done a little research, it seems the best one might be Archer.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips?

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Brooklyn Phono does pretty good work

3. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool. I'll check them out.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I've had good luck with RTI

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  5. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Purely as a matter of interest, can you tell us if Brooklyn Phono has pressed any reasonably well known LPs? I don't think I have anything in my collection that was pressed there but I'm curious as to their quality.

6. motionoftheocean

no idea. only know from working with them directly.

7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Look for Rainbo's "Manager's Special"! :p

Huck Caton likes this.
  8. motionoftheocean

what's that, 50 defective discs with every order of 100?

Joshua277456 and Brudy like this.
  9. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A real classic. Must be sourced too from Crown or other Bihari labels recycled 100 times dreck vinyl mixed in with CalTrans Asphalt as filler. The only records in microgroove with Noise to Signal ratios expressed. A classic quotable.

11. motionoftheocean

this would be funnier if it didn't come across as totally believable

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Unfortunately, I think it is too close to truth. Rainbo on a good day is no RTI. And Rainbo Manager's Special is likely just that, the audio equivalent of 1950's budget label pressings rejects. The only difference is that you A: Don't get such horrible reproductions of blues and R&B Classics, B: Begin longing for superior sounding worn out 45 and 78 RPM originals of them which had far less surface noise, and C: You didn't buy these new Rainbo Manager's Special pressings in a cut rate Drug Store for $.99 new. All of which applied to those Crown pieces of reject, recycled vinyl mixed in with CalTrans asphalt for filler.

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

If it's a budget release, I've heard good things about Gotta Groove and I've never had a bad pressing from them out of the 10 or so that I have. I have seen more and more indie bands using QRP, which is likely the best U.S. plant going right now with RTI a close second. I don't think everything they do has to been fancy 200 gram. Avoid United and Rainbo if you can. Also, have someone who knows how to inspect a test pressing present if you use one of these guys, I hear the first one always goes back if someone knows what to look for, otherwise defects are approved right off the bat. Also, Noiseland (no pun intended) does good work but maybe they are just the U.S. distributor for MPO in Europe like Furnace and Pallas.

Did you already pick a mastering engineer for your vinyl master?

14. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

They did the Cake box set. I had numerous defective discs, even after a second round, and still waiting on a repress.

15. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Just look at the Vinyl webpage on the Gotta Groove site. I really think these people do care about their product plus they are eager to get better at what they do.

Satrus likes this.
  16. motionoftheocean

my experience is firsthand as a client rather than a retail customer and I've yet to have issues with defective discs pressed by them. sorry for your issues, though.

17. glea

glea Forum Resident

Furnace mfg does our stuff. Pressed in Europe. We have had great luck with the 5 releases we've done. Get out your check book, vinyl isn't cheap, the printing is a killer... Lead time is long these days too. In the end it has been well worth it.
    [​IMG]

erniebert likes this.
  18. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I've been thinking about contacting Gotta Groove for my band's project as well. Nice to read positive things about that company here. Cheers!
    ---------- Chris

19. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Pallas, over in Germany, has an excellent reputation. They have partnered with Furnace to further expand into NA, check http://www.pallasusa.com/index.html. You can't go wrong.

20. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Fair enough. But it wasn't just me with the issues. You can search the forum for the cake box set thread and find a lot of unhappy consumers.

21. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

I had good luck with two 7" projects from Universal, but their prices have recently gone up, as have their turnaround times. I've heard nothing but good things about Gotta Groove, and will most likely use them for my next project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.