I warning about VRP record sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

About 18 months ago I replaced all my Beatles and Stones UK pressings with VRP sleeves. When I went to play one Saturday I noticed that the side of the album that was facing the inner side of the sleeve (the side of the sleeve with paper in it), had a film on the record. This was similar to when the old plastic sleeves leached into the vinyl. However a run through the VPI machine with distilled water removed it.
    I started checking all my LP that I put the sleeves on after that and the sleeves did it on most of the lp that I used them on. But now here is the strange thing, it only affected mid to late seventies UK pressings. So obviously their is something in the vinyl formulations being used in the UK at the time that the VRP sleeve reacts with. I my case it simply wiped off the records, maybe I was just lucky and caught it in time. Rick from Red Trumpet warned me that he also had problems with these sleeves but like a fool I didn't heed his word. So beware!

2. srigby

srigby Active Member

What is the recommended sleeve to use and where can it be purchased?

Thanks

Scott

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The rice paper sleeves.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Never had this happen to me. Eeek. But, I have had it happen to lazerdiscs and some vinyl, using cheaper polylined sleeves.

5. srigby

srigby Active Member

Where can you buy the rice paper sleeves?

Thanks
    Scott

6. TommyTunes

To my knowledge there is no company still producing the MOFI type of Rice paper sleeves. I someone knows different PLEASE post it here.

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Try this:

Sleeve City

8. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

I get my sleeves, cleaners and such from Bags Unlimited . I have been doing business with them for ten years. I have had no problems using the polylined sleeves. I use those 12" sleeves for LPs and laserdisks. They look and feel very similar to what RTI uses for its packaging.

If you want the ultimate in record protection, I recommend their LP Jacket Cardboard Insert to put your sleeved record in followed by putting the whole thing into the cover sleeve. The insert will prevent ring wear formation on your outer sleeve; however, depending on the width of the opeing of the outer cover sleeve, the cover sleeve may be stressed from the stretching. The insert is very similar to what MoFi used in their LP packaging.

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've never had a problem with VRP sleeves (which ARE rice paper sleeves). Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for any trouble. Films coming off of cheap poly sleeves I have heard of, but they're supposedly hard to remove, not easy. Hmmm.

10. TommyTunes

The dealers say they are Rice Paper but they are not. About a year ago I sent an Email to the company to find out what they were manufactured from . Their response was that they were a wood (ie. paper) product with Plasticizers. They are a far different animal than the superb MOFI sleeves. Red Trumpet has been pursuing Japanese manufactures in the hopes of getting real rice paper sleeves however last time I spoke with them they have had no luck.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I did not know that. They feel exactly the same, but that doesn't tell much, I suppose. The mofi sleeves are a paper side and a clear side, both coated in plastic, just like the VRP's. Seems like the exact same animal. Different plastic materials I take it?

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

So what is the best & safest (also not too expensive) replacement inner-sleeves out there? Which ones do RTI use now??

Todd

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

VRP sleeves

A few months ago I started a thread on MFSL sleeves but it didn't get very far so I'll give it another try.
    This is what I know or been told:
    The plain MFSL type sleeves (no VRP writing) were manufactured by the NAGAOKA Co in JAPAN. These are the GOOD ONES. MFSL used them before their demise, RTI used them universally on Classic Records, MOSAIC Records, Analogue Productions Records, and others (DCC).
    Then about 5 years ago NAGAOKA stopped making them (copyright problems with discwasher? I don't know) and RTI (for some reason) does not like the VRPs and has not used them.
    The VRPs are made in TAIWAN by DISCWASHER and if you compare them closely you can tell they are made (coated) with a different material (at least I can).
    Personally, I like the VRPs, I use them and have not had any problems. BUT... I would love to get my hands on a big stash of the old NAGAOKA sleeves, because I truly think they are better. Actually, I still have 100 new Nagaokas left but I reserve them for special records. I just put 4 NAGAOKA sleeves in 4 UK Rolling Stones DECCA LPs I got last week. So, I guess they are safe.
    Cheers
    BC

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Good question.
    I don't know.
    RTI calls their sleeves in their web site "POLY-LINED SLEEVES"
    This is confusing. I would called them something like "rice paper-lined inner sleeves" to differentiate them from the shiny transparent plastic-like lined sleeves that everyone should stay away from.
    Nitty Gritty makes or used to make these rice paper lined sleeves (I bought a thousand many years ago from acoustic sounds and still have some), but you better make sure when you order that they are not the shiny plastic lined.
    The problem with the sleeves RTI uses is that with heavy vinyl the seams rip easily (and let dust in) making the sleeve useless.

I use three different kinds of sleeves:
    NAGAOKA on the best records.
    VRP and Nitty gritty rice paper lined on the rest. It actually depends on the cover. Some tight covers do not like the VRPs (they wrinkle badly) in which case the Nitty Grittys work fine.
    BC

15. Todd Fredericks

Yes, I've been noticing this a lot recently. I usually find the split on one of the side seams. I think it's the 180g vinyl and also the jostling from shipping. I think there wouldn't be any split problems if these were used as replacement sleeves after cleaning (no shipping impacts). I noticed that they're using a non-paper version with the mono Blue Note reissues. I think it's the same material as the paper ones...

Todd

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

You are absolutely rigtht!!!
    BC

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't have a mono Blue Note yet.
    Is it round at the bottom?
    NAGAOKA still makes a round bottom 50s style sleeve.
    You are right about the shipping causing the rip.
    BC

18. Todd Fredericks

I hope Red Trumpet can find a good rice paper source (and not too expensive). I really love the mylar bags they sell and for a great price too...

Todd

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Rick Flynn and I go back a long long time...he used to live close-by in the old Quality Vinyl days (before he moved to PA...believe me... if there is a source... he'll find it.
    BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.