I watched BACK TO THE FUTURE today with my kids....Forgot about the swearing!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My 9 year old suddenly (after watching something on the History Channel) developed an obsession with DeLorean autos so I decided to show my kids BACK TO THE FUTURE.

I hadn't seen it in years, they never saw it or heard of it (which is freaky for me, it's almost as long since the movie as they went back in time). They loved it and they loved the naughty words as well. Forgot about that, yikes.

I was at one of the first screenings of the movie at Universal about a month before the release date. Sid Sheinberg was heard to mutter when it was over "we are going to make a fortune on this!".

It was a great screening back in '85, us blasé show biz people were on our feet at the end (we had absolutely no idea what the movie was even going to be about going in, even though we saw the outdoor streets on the back lot for weeks.) Still holds up today, great flick!

Dude111, mattdm11, Drifter and 7 others like this.
  2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Probably not the first time they heard those words and I'm sure they enjoyed the movie!

bru87tr likes this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Trying to remember...the swear words in the movie were **** and damn, right? Can't recall others...

4. One of my favourite lines is in this movie: "Why don't you make like a tree...and get out of here!" :laugh:

Andrew and agaraffa like this.
  5. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

I remember "bastard" in there too... Still, a great movie and probably better than anything else they have access to these days.

6. Steve Hoffman

No, but still.

G*d Da**,

A**hole,

bas***d,

Son Of A B***h.

The usual stuff but I try and keep my kids as un pottymouthed as possible.

pdenny, Moonbeam Skies and spanky1 like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So they're still on summer vacation ? Kids here went back to school last week.

8. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

great film, awesome script, acting and they handle the whole time travel stuff really well

9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Same thing happened to me. I bought the box for the family with all the movies, and had forgotten about all the language.

ampmods likes this.
  10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I just showed my kids this too over the Christmas holidays last year. I had the same experience! Great movie though.

11. Steve Hoffman

School starts August 21st.

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sounds like Steve is on summer vacation as well. :)

Who gets to watch movies during the day? Oh, never mind. :D

Lost In The Flood and forthlin like this.
  13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Kids don't go back to school in Massachusetts until after Labor Day!

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Here in NJ school doesn't start until after labor day. My daughter attends college and that doesn't start until Aug 26.

Schools start at all different times depending on where you are in the US.

Anyway, I always remember Back To The Future being fairly tame movies regarding language. I guess I will have to pull out the blu ray set and watch again soon.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We never went back until after Labor Day in Chicago either (1960s - '72)

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I don't think I ever went to school in August. It just doesn't seem right to me.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I get the impression schools in warmer climates go back earlier than those elsewhere. Probably not a perfect rule, though.

In VA, we have what's called the "Kings Dominion Law". KD is a major theme park, so it and other tourist-centered businesses lobbied to keep school from opening until after Labor Day. There have been some attempts to change this, but they've not happened yet.

Seems kinda illogical to me on both sides. If school goes back earlier, it also gets out earlier - why can't KD and the other tourist spots milk up business during those days? And who cares if kids go back in mid-August or early September? They're still in school the same number of days...

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Me neither in California. From fall 1969 to summer 1982 for me. Always the first Tuesday after Labor Day. After Jerry Lewis' final look at the tote board, I would start feeling anxious! School tomorrow! Agh!

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I attended school in VA, so almost my entire life, I didn't go back until after Labor Day. I think we had one year where they brought us back pre-Labor Day, but that was it. Even in college, I didn't go back until after Labor Day!

I work in Maryland, and those days are gone! This is my 21st year with the school system, and I think we had one year where kids came back post-Labor Day, but that's it.

Our county actually starts earlier than some others in MD. Our kids return 8/19, while a neighboring county doesn't open school until 8/26. This does make some sense, though: state-mandated test days are the same for all MD jurisdictions, so our county starts a little earlier to get in an extra week of test prep.

I hate it, though. I still feel like school should never start until the Tuesday after Labor Day!

20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I remember in Jr and Sr High school we always had fair day, since the fair was only a mile or two from the schools. It which was usually the first or second week of school as the LA County Fair doesn't start until September.

edit: Strike that. It apparently starts Aug 30 this year.

As for college that always started the first week of September for me. I remember it well as that is often the hottest week of the year (Santa Ana's) and I had to stand in long lines in over 100 degree heat trying to get all my classes. That said, we haven't had the September Santa Ana winds in some time. Maybe things are changing.

21. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I remember seeing BTTF with my good buddy Grant (still a good friend of mine) summer of 1985 at Cascade Park Cinemas (long since gone) in Vancouver, WA. What an awesome movie for the time (still enjoy it to this day).

Don't know why I remember stupid little things like this, nor do I know why I feel the need to share, but I always do :)...

We went into the movie theater and it was a gorgeous, sunny afternoon. If memory serves it was late July or early August (I think). When we came out of the theater two hours later it was POURING rain (not untypical for the Portland area, I suppose). Anyway, every single time I see that movie or hear a reference about it I think of that day driving home in my 1976 Celica (with Huey Lewis - Back In Time humming in my head) and being pizzed because we couldn't go golfing. Junior rates at the time for a neat, little, local Par 3 were only $2.50. We went golfing 37 straight days that summer. Neadless to say I was a WAY better golfer then that at any time since.

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Love Back To The Future. There's something irresistibly endearing about that movie that keeps it as fresh and fascinating as it was when I first watched it. Is it the nostalgia for the good old childhood days or the simple but nonetheless magical ingenuity of the script that does the trick? I don't know but dang, I still get carried away every time.
    And oh yeah, kids just love it. How could it be any other way?

23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yeah, Grant is a good guy. I haven't seen any movies with him, but we did have several meals and listening sessions together. :laugh:

Jeez, sorry for crapping all over your thread Steve, but I'm having a fun day so far. FWIW, I loved the BTTF movies and most movies that deal with time travel. Peggy Sue Got Married was another good one that I think came out the same year.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The first BTTF can't be beat for a clever, original, well-made movie. But I don't like a single one of the others that followed.

Andrew likes this.
  25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Intersting side-note, Doug...

Grant and I went to Disneyland spring break 1986 (our senior year) and stayed at the Penny Sleeper Inn right across the street from the Park. We were what, a couple miles from your place? Would have loved to dropped-by and listened to some tunes with you.

Grant couldn't drive a stick so I drove all of the way / both ways in my Celica. We drove home from Disneyland to Vancouver, Washington straight-through without stopping for more than gas, grub and restroom breaks (usually all at the same time). It was like 17 hours or so. I secifically remember REGULAR gasoline was as little as $.69 / gallon at the Arco in Grant's Pass, Oregon. Oh for those long, lost days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.