I watched Beware of Mr. Baker (Ginger Baker)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Murphy13, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have to say it was a fine film. I saw it on DirectTV ON dEmand. Ginger is the same bitter, grumpy old man that was featured in the Cream reunion "extra" doc. Too bad he threw much of his life away with drugs and rough living. One heck of a drummer. I thought the film maker did a decent job keeping himself out of the story (unlike Paul Williams doc filmmaker) except in crucial moments (introduction and when Ginger hit him in face with walking stick).

squittolo and All Down The Line like this.
  2. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

He didn't hear Ginger say "Get the hell off my lawn..." :)

squittolo likes this.
  3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I just watched it and now know that Ginger should've never had kids. Other than that, it was a good documentary.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great movie. Loved it . Really creative use of animation in the storytelling.

5. Kelan Wood

Kelan Wood Forum Resident

I couldn't get through it. Clearly a well-made film but Ginger just aggravated me so much. Drumming-wise, I respect the guy enormously. Human-wise? Not so much.

6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I enjoyed the documentary considerably. Bitter and grumpy may be a bit of an understatement.

squittolo likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I wonder if Ginger ever met Miles? (see lovin spoonful book thread)

squittolo likes this.
  8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Miles wouldn't put up with bigmouth drummers. Notice how Buddy Rich was never asked to join his band? He even badmouthed his old buddy Max Roach later in life when Max got a little outspoken.

trumpet sounds and squittolo like this.
  9. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Fantastic documentary, recommend it....but it certainly did NOT make me a fan of Mr. Baker...I found him very full of himself and generally an unpleasant character...and man, drumsolos sucks!!!

10. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

What shocked me was Baker claiming that Pete Brown and Jack Bruce were (apparently) making more money from Cream than Clapton and Baker (due to publishing, etc.). I can accept that Bruce would have a large slice (as he was a key songwriter), but it shocks me that Brown's (awful) contributions lyrically could place him above Clapton and Baker. If Baker is bitter about that, I can understand why...

squittolo and seacliffe301 like this.
  11. John S

John S Forum Resident

As much as I enjoy hearing Bonham and Moon in their recorded milieu, after seeing this documentary I have to agree....

Ginger Baker: “The general public is so f*cking dumb, like anybody would think Bonham was anywhere near the kind of drummer I am. It’s just extraordinary, Bonham had technique, but he couldn’t swing a f*cking sack of s**t -- or Moonie for that matter. If they were they were still alive today, ask ‘em, ha ha ha….”

Clapton agrees....

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Kudos for what he accomplished behind the kit, but he's impossible to put up with. There's a valid reason why Blind Faith disbanded practically overnight and no one asked him to play in a band before he turned 50. Most of all I feel sorry for his families and offspring. A living trainwreck who doesn't care or is even willing to face the consequences of his personality.

13. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the reunion extra doc, Ginger gets mad at Bruce for turning his amp up louder during a show. A piece of plexi glass was mounted between bass am and drums so volume didn't bother Ginger.

squittolo likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I loved the documentary but all I can say about Baker is he is what he is. I'm glad I don't have his baggage and physical problems but damn, he can still play regardless. There's been one thing along that's important for him his entire life, and that's playing the drums. And with that perspective in mind, he has more than achieved his goals. I don't agree with all his opinions and I sure wouldn't want to drag his trail of busted relationships and all and sundry, but as a drummer I believe he's still everything he ever claimed to be. I wish he was happier than he appears for his sake but he's probably as happy as he was ever going to be.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Jack Bruce seems to be a favourite target but in the grand scheme of things Ginger seems to hate everybody. I actually was holding my breath when he was interacting with his horses in the doc, really!
    I also think the filmmaker should've sued him after the cane attack instead of gloryfying it at the end.

squittolo and Manimal like this.
  16. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

squittolo likes this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I won't compare him to the other drummers, but he is great. One of my favorites.

squittolo likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I put Baker up as the best drummer, but I might have Moonie as the favorite rock n roll drummer of the three

squittolo and John S like this.
  20. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Phew. I just watched this on Netflix. My mother would not have let me hang around with him.

Chris DeVoe and squittolo like this.
  21. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I saw this some time ago. My only question is how exactly did he just force his way into Blind Faith? The documentary made it seem like he showed up at the sessions and nobody had the gonads to tell him to leave. It also implies that Clapton and Winwood was eager to go their separate ways, after, due to him. If this is true then that is one powerful personality.

I listen to Meg White just as much as Ginger Baker.

squittolo likes this.
  22. A despicable man who is an exceptionally talented drummer. Sad.

And I'll say this for Keith Moon...he never tried my patience with interminable drum solos.

23. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Wonder if he is still smoking like a chimney after his major heart surgery last year?

He is the Keith Richards of the drums!

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That dude is cray cray man.

squittolo likes this.
  25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Steve Winwood played with Ginger immediately after Blind Faith folded as part of Ginger Baker's Air Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.