I watched five "Netflix originals" yesterday, and they all were lousy.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I have free time so I thought I'd relax and finally dip into these ubiquitous "Netflix originals" that Netflix slaps with every time I turn on Netflix. For the record, I watched "Extinction" "How It Ends" "Tau" "Altered Carbon" "Stranger Things Sea. 2" and I turned each one off after 15 minutes. I would say the overall tone of these films is "overly talky" "extremely low budget" and "barely original" it seems like they're trying to produce films that are heavy with gravitas and cautionary. but they can't get away from a surplus of b-movie action tropes and the smell of cable produced mediocrity.

I know Netflix is dying for content but I think they're producing stuff no better than the SyFy channel. Very surprised that not one of these was really memorable, and others like "Tau" just pure junk.

Gumboo, RickH, vconsumer and 2 others like this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I’ve had Netflix for over a year now and keep telling my wife - ‘we never use this so I’m dropping it.’
    So two weeks ago we decided to actually watch some original shows - and I have to say that we are impressed.
    But we did not choose any from your list. (Though Altered Carbon is being considered).
    So perhaps try a different genre of show?
    We chose quite different styled shows:

Mind Hunter - excellent first hand account of the genesis of probing the psychology involved with
    serial killers

Black Mirror - 21st century Twilight Zone based on tech nightmares - one of the coolest serials I’ve
    ever seen

Stranger Things - Spielbergesque 80’s nostalgia - no deep thinking

GLOW - Glamerous Ladies Of Wrestling - very funny behind scenes comedy of 80’s women wrestling
    scene, and more.

Sorry you found nothing - but 15 minutes isn’t much of a chance for some shows either.
    That’s like judging a song from a 30second snippet!! :cool:

Anyway - happy hunting.

RickH, Oliver, WillieDaPimp and 16 others like this.
  3. I don't know if watching something for only 15 minutes is a fair way to evaluate, especially the whole of Stranger Things season 2.

Mr. H, bpmd1962, Oliver and 23 others like this.
  4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I haven't watched most of these but holy smokes are you seriously accusing "Stranger Things" of bad production values??? I'm constantly amazed at how downright cinematic TV programming is nowadays, and "Stranger Things" falls into that description. Also, watching 15-minutes of season 2 of a complicated but incredibly entertaining and ambitious series is basically setting it up for failure.

Finally, "Glow" is seriously rocking our world right now. We adore that show, every second of it.

dan c

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

"Altered Carbon" and "Stranger things" are both excellent, there are some weak shows on Netflix, but those two definitely aren't two of them.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I think too much $ for too little value

RickH likes this.
  7. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Extinction has a nifty twist an hour in.

8. Ghostworld

Stranger things looks great for what it is. A replica of a 70s television miniseries (and the story). Most of the other Netflix series are trying so hard to look contemporary that they look plastic.

apesfan and eflatminor like this.
  9. Netflix has a lot of original programming now, most is not very good in my opinion but a few shows are very good which makes it worthwhile for me. Netflix has a terrific track record of changing gears at the right time. The switch to primarily a streaming business from DVD rental was perfect and I think the switch to primarily original programming has the feeling of being the right move at the right time but we will see. I think it was inevitable that Netflix would do this, I wouldn't be subscribing if they hadn't.

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You pick crappy shows. :agree:

googlymoogly, BZync and Vidiot like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Well I’m glad to hear that I would’ve hated to have heard I picked the good ones.

SandAndGlass and eflatminor like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I dropped Netflix after they asked a particularly loathsome person (my opinion) to join their board of directors, but I was ready to drop them anyway. Poor value for money. Don't miss it a bit.

enro99, Done A Ton and buzzzx like this.
  14. Michael

Extinction was pretty good you should have finished it...nice twist at the near end.

showtaper, The Pinhead and CrazyCatz like this.
  15. audiomixer

Watch "The Crown". Unbelievable.

16. Michael

yea...it was great.

17. Michael

Ed Hughes likes this.
  18. Michael

isn't it like $10.00 a month? that's not bad...

danner, apesfan and Jacob29 like this.
  19. Michael

who was that?

20. audiomixer

21. Michael

I posted it...thanks for nothing. : )

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  22. audiomixer

:p

23. Michael

LOL! : )

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Susan Rice

asdf35 likes this.
  25. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I hate the Netflix GUI. The search is a joke. I'm gonna drop them soon.

VU Master, bmasters9, Gumboo and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.