I watched five "Netflix originals" yesterday, and they all were lousy.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I should say I've never used their DVD service so it might be garbage for all I know. My impressions are solely regarding their streaming service.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they just grow like weeds when one is not paying attention to their buying habits!

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Yes, let's get this straight. What you're claiming is nonsense. One could just as easily derive bigotry disguised as principles from your assertion. Also, you responded in a manner designed to get a specific point across.

It wasn't necessary to answer that specifically asked question. The thread had moved on. Your comment had already aroused enough curiosity for those interested to investigate the source of your distress. IOW, you overplayed your hand.

It isn't standing on principle to single yourself out as a lone angel dancing on the head of a pin, ...that's just martyrdom. What's egregious is trying to draw attention to very outdated dance steps with a selfie-stick & magnifying glass when no bull horn or dog whistle is available.

Food for thought.

:cheers:
    Cat

NaturalD likes this.
  4. Michael

started Neflix Frequency yesterday. It is wonderful...wife loves it too!

5. Michael

I don't care who works for Netflix...If they have shows I'm interested in I'm watching them...period.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  6. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've just begun watching some Netflix original programming and like it in general. It's not all first rate but I find it to be better than most network TV shows and I don't have to put up with all the frustrations of network TV (commercials, bugs, crawls, animated ads...etc).

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I watched the first 15 minutes of Citizen Kane and turned it off...what a garbage movie.

The Hud, NaturalD and razerx like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah, this is the rub. But, Netflix can never fully own classic films, must lease them, and they want to be the new boss in town who own "the good stuff," but they aren't putting out the good stuff, IMO. Nobody is going to swoop in and ask for the right to show to "Hemlock Groove" on their channel, except for maybe those streaming channel you get for free like CRACKLE.

I agree with you, if they blow $180M on some hackneyed scifi film that is going to be instantly forgotten, how many classic or very good films could they acquire the rights to screen for that kind of money? I'd rather have three years of great films to choose from, than flaccid Netflix originals.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Man, I bet you'd also not like Future Man. That's probably got two or more times the 'homage' quotient of Stranger Things S1. And it's precisely that aspect that makes the series such a hoot!

10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That begs the question...how many original shows/films have you seen more than 15 minutes of at this point to be able to make that statement?

I don't know that they have (m)any classic films, and I took the same stance that you have here when they started rolling out original product and from what I could tell it was a bunch of Adam Sandler movies. I want to watch what are regarded as the best movies of all time. But as a company it makes all the sense in the world to roll out original product. And it turns out that they do have things that are worth watching and hopefully that is something that continues. Do I expect them to roll out what will be regarded as classic films on a regular basis? No...and that's not a very realistic expectation. But if they can churn out their share of good/great quality product (while still offering non-exclusive product) that makes the subscription well worth it.

11. Michael

not completing a movie and then being critical of it does hold water IMO..it's like playing 1 song from an album and saying the album sucks... I feel you were unfair in your comments about the 5 you sampled...But that's OK, but I feel people who don't think for themselves will miss out on a fine movie or 5...

and I like the fact they make their own brand of movies/series...considering the junk they puke out of Hollywood...not all bad mind you, some great but many suck more than any netflix series or movies.

12. Michael

I was so wrong about Lost In Space...Netflix did a fantastic job on the reboot...hope they do a second season... IRC, they are filming one now? I LOVED ALL THE CHARACTERS and it was you that turned me on to it...even my wife loved it...Michael eats crow served by Deesky! LOL!
    what's Future Man about? other than the title? : )

Encuentro likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I haven’t seen it, but I wouldn’t rule it out. I’m not sure if I’ll get around to it, as I have an on-again, off-again relationship with Hulu. I fell in love with The Handmaid’s Tale and stuck around after the first season ended. I watched Chance and the first season of Wayward Pines. I re-subscribed when The Handmaid’s Tale came back into my life and cancelled as soon as it ended. Of course, Hulu waved that free month in front of my face, and I couldn’t resist, but I haven’t watched anything on Hulu since The Handmaid’s Tale. Honestly, I can’t keep up with all of these shows and services. Netflix and Amazon Prime are my keepers. I check in with Hulu when The Handmaid’s Tale is on.

14. Michael

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    very funny...Damn, I'm still laughing...wait, you are joking correct?

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's pretty much exactly what the OP is doing.

16. Michael

I figured as much! LOL...good one.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No worries, glad you liked it (it seems much more than I did! :)).

It's a scifi parody/spoof, as was say Space Balls of Star Wars. Except in this case they hit all the iconic movies from the past, including Terminator, Back To The Future, Star Wars, BSG, Ender's Game, Trek and much, much more.

It's also very irreverent and quite raunchy, but the characters make it work. It's a great deal of fun.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

definitely up my alley! Thanks...

Yea I wound up being a cheerleader for LIS!
    I know nothing about Hulu? Is this a paid service or is FM free?

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They have a free trial. I don’t remember if it’s a week or a month. If you pay for a subscription after the trial is over and wind up canceling, they’ll offer you a free month to stick around.

Michael likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I enjoyed Lost in Space as well. I wasn’t familiar with the original series or the ‘98 movie.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

thanks for the info.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Michael

I'll always have a special place for the original as I watched back then in real time week after week till the end of the 3rd season...the movie wasn't that hot IMO...but I enjoyed it anyway since it was LIS....

Encuentro likes this.
  23. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Netflix has done a pretty good job overall providing a diverse range of entertainment.

It would be easy going through a list of series and movies we've watched that are better developed than most of the programming on network TV these days, but everybody's mileage varies. What's cool is the variety and quality. IMO, Netflix has made some darn good decisions.

With rare exception the Marvel Studio produced series have been better than expected, most phenomenally good. Both seasons of Stranger Things blew us away with solid scripts and acting. Better Call Saul and Ozark have been exceptional even though the pacing occasionally drags. Netflix carried the modestly budgeted film Mudbound which both my wife and I agreed was Academy Award level quality. Many of those films produced by Netflix since 2016 that we've seen have been excellent and they seem to be getting better. Fingers crossed.

Tastes vary and there are going to be occasional stinkers from any content provider, but the monthly price tag doesn't seem excessive for the quantity and quality of entertainment. My 2 cents, adjusted for inflation as usual. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

I totally agree...

25. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

One Netflix original you can safely skip: Insatiable.
    Awful.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.