I won an Abbey Road black triangle CD on eBay today!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nick99nack, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Congratulation!
    I paid $150 for mine..

nick99nack likes this.
  2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

my opinion only, so not trying to be a dark cloud:)
    I got cd in 1983 and this was one of the early cds I bought, it cost $28.50 which I thought was a fortune. I thought it sounded nice if not earthshaking.
    I sold it for $160 about 5 years ago with no regrets. I'm not as offended by the later masterings as some here, but really when I play this album it's usually uk vinyl which has the best presentation to my ears.

3. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just based on my CD-R, the black triangle is much more natural-sounding, and full dynamics! I think the '87 disc wasn't too bad, but sounds kind of "hard". That's the best way I know to describe it. The BT mastering smokes them all, IMO.

Dave, kiddo4, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Excellent! You're good to go, enjoy!

nick99nack likes this.
  5. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

So the 1983 CD is more dynamically rich, correct? Are there similar CDs for the other albums? By the way, I don’t think too much limiting was applied to the 2009s. It might be more of an EQ difference than anything.

nick99nack likes this.
  6. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Not a bad price at all. Congrats!

I think I'll go listen to mine now...

:)

longdist01, goat65cars and nick99nack like this.
  7. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Good find so jealous....I would get killed by my gf if I spent more than 50 on CD :(

Bingo Bongo and nick99nack like this.
  8. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Amoeba in SF had a used AR BT in NM forever in NM shape for only 148.00
    Not anymore!
    Sounds warm and bassy and I couldn't find this damn thing for under 250.00 anywhere!
    I also managed to pick up a Pro-Use of AR last week for only 80.00 from Japan since the seller advertised it as 'Pro-Youth' so nobody was bidding!

9. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I got one not too long ago and I quite like it ($150 no obi). I dont think its drastically different from the original, definitely warmer and more natural, and it definitely beats the 2009 remaster, i dont care for the boomy bass. I'd say you probably have to be a diehard to seek one out, but if you're so inclined, why not? Also cool is youre not only getting one of the first Rock cds, but its the first Beatles cd, too, neat for historical reasons

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Explain please. Why won't it play correctly on some CD players?

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Did you not win it?

JG

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Many newer CD players do not decode pre-emphasis, and have trouble with table of contents in the subcode area on some early compact discs.

nick99nack likes this.
  13. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just listened to mine again. Yep, sounds just as good as it did when I purchased it last March. :)

Bingo Bongo and FJFP like this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Congrats. I paid similar for mine. Seemed like a lot at the time, but years later I am still enjoying it. If I hadn't spent it on that I'd probably have long forgotten whatever I did spend it on. So worth it.

15. ricks

ricks Senior Member

pre-emphasis is the reason. Many modern players [and all CD/DVD/Blu-ray ROM drives] do not conform 100% to Redbook specs thus do not perform the required decode. The pre-emphasis can reside in the TOC [most normal] or the subcode [rare and mainly limited to "Black Triangles"]. Some modern players like Oppo's can read the flag in the TOC but not in the subcode.

When the pre-emphasis flag is in the subcode Oppo will not read the flag thus no decode. Black Triangle discs like Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon, will not sound "right" on those players as a result.

What I did to "solve" this for a friend who's only transport is an Oppo is rip the Black Triangle disc and create a cue sheet with EAC. I then manually edited the cue sheet adding "FLAGS PRE" after at the end of the entry for each track. If you rip the CD as a Range instead of individual tracks then you only need to add "FLAGS PRE" once.

Plenty of info on the web and this forum but here is a link that should be of some help:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...king-a-pre-emphasis-disc-copy-with-eac.49318/

After burning the CDR using the new cue sheet, there will now be a Pre-Emph flag in the TOC and the Oppo will detect it + decode.

Please be advised the method I described above will only work with Oppo's and for the most part only with the way Pre-Emph was done on Black Triangles.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Exaggerate much?:cheers:

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's why I prefer the 87...

Boy Blue and George P like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...it's louder than the 87...can you deny this? some of us can dislike a Beatles release...it's possible even for a 1st gen fan! believe it or not...

Cronverc and Bingo Bongo like this.
  19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Was it ever confirmed that some copies of this were mistakenly labeled as a Kate Bush album and got out to retail?

20. I'd bet that Oppo would look into adding that function in a firmware update for the 205. That was made to be an audiophile player and I imagine adding it wouldn't be much work. Despite going out of business, they have an engineer left tinkering with things.

21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

So I have digital copies of both the Black Triangle that I found, and from my 2009 CD and while the BT is my favorite - I don't find the 2009 bad at all! Great clarity and even though there is more compression than the previous masterings it isn't lacking in dynamics at all.

Dennis Metz, EricSwan and longdist01 like this.
  22. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

So I have the Oppo 203 and it won't read the AR subcode?

23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The seller always wins when it comes to the Black Triangle.

M321115, Alien Ache and FJFP like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

At Angel, No
    Oppo's only TOC for the tag.
    A few SUB Q tags I have
    Whitney Houston-S/T Japan For US
    Tom Petty-Southern Accents (US)
    Chess (US)
    Pink Floyd-Dark Side (Toshiba)
    New Order-Low Life (Japan For UK)
    Howard Jones-Human's Lib (WG #01)
    Depeche Mode-Construction Time Again (WG #02)
    Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees (Japan For UK)
    OMD-A&M (WG #01)
    ELO-Discovery (Japan For US)

And a few Classical Titles

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    superstar19 likes this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I need to go listen to mine. Thanks for the reminder! I got mine on Ebay for $53 about seven years ago. The most I ever paid for a cd.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.