Ian Hunter box set in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whizz Kid, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched and didn't see where anyone else had mentioned this announcement from Proper Records in the UK...

Ian Hunter career restrospective box set to be released in 2016... looks like no vinyl version / CDs only.

http://proper-records.us2.list-mana...d29d65ab65867b9a71&id=47b6c45a1d&e=1c9b795011

30 discs including all 17 official solo releases... and various unknown (at this point) archive & live rarities.
    No mention of remastering or changes to any of the bonus material from recent re-releases... there will be a hardback book and signed litho... as well as two DVDs, presumably the 2002 Oslo strings show and the 2004 London-Astoria (?).

Word at the IH website is that the box will go for £240... so approx US$360... kinda pricey.

Paulo Alm, Marc Perman and melstapler like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

overkill

3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Yikes, $360. I love Ian and all but I'm not sure that I want to contribute that much to his retirement fund or his family's inheritance.

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

That studio album with Ronson (YUI ORTA) was excellent, but no one knows about it! I got to see quite a few of those shows on the tour (Mick Ronson's last). The "Welcome to the Club (Live at the Roxy)" album also features Ronson and Ellen Foley. I'm may be in if some of the unreleased/live material includes his Ronson & Foley era band, which IMHO was his tightest band.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I am not a big Ian Hunter fan or MTH fan, but I always thought he was an interesting front guy and liked some of his and Mots songs.
    But this is something I would probably buy if I seen it at Sam Goodys for 15 bucks. Not hundreds.
    Seriously, the band was really kind of fringe and him as a solo artist really wasn't all that big. It isn't as if he got the press David Bowie got or if MTH was as big as Aerosmith.
    I can't imagine very many people shelling out that kind of bucks for it.
    The guy had a big following and so did MTH, I think there are enough fans out there who would have given maybe 25 or 30 bucks for it that they could have made a bundle on it.

Whizz Kid likes this.
  6. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's already more of the 1979 Ronson / Ellen Foley live material available on the 30th anniversary edition of 'Schizophrenic'... excerpts from three shows on disc two of that set from 2009. Presumably that will all be included again in this box... since it's out there... so not really unreleased. There may be some cleaned-up takes from the YUI ORTA tour - Dominion Theatre 1988 boot that's been around for years... which would be great... but I can't guess what other "rarities" would be included to make this box set worth the price.

I agree with the above poster... Hunter has a fringe / cult following at this stage in his career (of which I am obviously a member)... I can't really see there being enough of a demand for this set to make it feasible (??). If I'm not willing to stump up that much $$, then who would be?

Of course it could be an actual honest-to-gosh limited edition... 500 copies or whatever. Then perhaps they will recover their investment.

linclink likes this.
  7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I love Ian (and just watched The Ballad of Mott doc last weekend), but this is too rich for my blood, especially since I have the released stuff already.

I really like YUI ORTA too. It's been in and out of print and reissued so many times that it gets forgotten, I think.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

A friendly heads up for those looking for a cheaper source of Ian Hunter rarities: pick up the Once Bitten Twice Shy comp. You're welcome :wave:

melstapler likes this.
  9. Whizz Kid it looks like your link doesn't lead anywhere at the moment so I've provided a new one that has the sign up info from the blog smith site.

Ian Hunter - Stranded In Reality »

Looks like this will be a little too rich for my blood. Wonder if Ian is considering releasing the bonus discs separately.

Laibach likes this.
  10. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

No mention of quad or surround mix?

11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

bring it on!

Dennis Metz likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Agree with others turned off by the price. Am a huge Hunter/Mott fan & already have everything put out officially, and quite a few boots too. Extremely doubtful I would spring so much $$ for this set. Still am curious what unreleased stuff might be on it.

Btw, I hate YUI ORTA. Think it is one of Ian's worst albums. Been ages since I listened to it and I cannot recall any details other than trying to listen to the whole thing was always a struggle for me. I did see that tour IIRC.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Hard to talk about the "retirement fund" of a man who is still playing at 76!

14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Sounds better than funeral party, doesn't it?

15. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Just checked my playlists. Bowie - 32 tracks, Reed 37 tracks and Hunter 56 tracks. The man is an unrecognised genius. He was amazing live with Ronson.
    Yui orta left me cold at the time but returning to it later it rocks (skip the cheesy Chaz and Dave type tracks). I also really rate Dirty Laundry.
    This box set looks too expensive even for completists though.

Greg Gee and wayneklein like this.
  16. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

The signed Mott The Hoople book / DVD package that was available at the final reunion shows took ages to sell out and was frequently reduced in price to encourage this.

I really want to say that I will definitely buy this box set given I already have all the official releases and previous compilations, however I doubt that I will willingly pay the sort of sum quoted by the OP. I'm sure I read somewhere that the unreleased material would get a separate release but that would seem to mitigate the need for the full box set among the die hards.

In any event looking forward to the UK shows at the end of the year. The show in Coventry earlier this year proves that Ian's age need not diminish a show especially when you can surround yourself with a good band.

17. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

It's not as bad as 'Overnight Angels'. That LP is so shrill sounding, my neighbour's cat goes for a walk when it's played.

I also have all of Ian's solo albums, DVDs, bootlegs along with all of Mott The Hoople's albums and many bootlegs. This had better be a real treasure trove, or I'll give it a pass. The only artist whose unreleased music is as intriguing as his released stuff is Ian's idol, Bob Dylan. Most other artists' unreleased material is best left unreleased.

18. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I am member of the cult of Ian Hunter. I have all his studio releases and the live Welcome to the Club, so this box set is a pass for me.
    Fortunately, since it's quite pricey. I'd rather just see him play live again, supporting a new record. The guy still brings it!

Greg Gee likes this.
  19. The remaster from a couple of years ago improves ever so slightly. This is the UK remaster by Ray Staff.

20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

This might be worth considering for under $100, but I can't believe they'll sell more than a few dozen at this price. I'll be happy to live with just my favorite two IH solo albums, his s/t debut and You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic. The 2 CD deluxe version of You're Never Alone is great, as is the original vinyl, which can be found for under $5 almost everywhere used LPs are sold.

21. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I bought and sold Ian's library without any overkill to my ego.

22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Nice but too expensive for me. Hope it will come down.

23. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

24. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I have to admit it's getting better...

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sigh. I want it....I guess $300 isn't bad for 30 discs (even though I have something like 22 of these ALREADY fer crissakes)...

I wonder if the price shown 142 pounds includes VAT that would be REMOVED for us Americans (bringing the price down to around say 120 pounds or so???). Also how much is shipping going to cost to the USA???