If a compact disc is really scratched up does this affect sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ATSMUSIC, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I've heard a few CD's that do not skip per se ,but you can still hear a ticking sound at every spin where the disc is scratched.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

How does polishing or buffing a CD fix the disc?

It doesn't make sense to me, intuitively, how adding toothpaste to fill a scratch fixes a problem disc. If you've lost data on your disc because of a scratch, you can't get back data through filling, polishing or buffing.

Does it have something to do with scratches interfering with how the laser reads data that is under the surface where the scratch is?

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Here's your post: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=4405599&postcount=189

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have used and recommend the Novus Polish system for years and a lot of scarcthed disc I use it on come up almost brand new.

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Although these questions seem a bit "over the top" to me, I'll assume that you are serious and not a troll.

So...

Toothpaste is a polishing agent. It does not fill the scratches, it allows you to buff them out.

Scratches do not cause a loss of data. CDs are not LPs - the data is not on the playback surface. The reflective data surface is at the top of the CD (under the label). There is a lot of plastic between this data layer and the playback surface. Scratches obscure the data layer, not obliterate it. Remove the scratch by buffing or polishing, and you can clearly read the data again.

Now, if you accidentally scratch a CD on the label side and you can see it from the playback side, the data is gone and you have destroyed that CD. It probably will not play any more. Don't ask how I know this. :)

Kevin

Kevin

6. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

My rule of thumb is if you can see larger than pinpoint holes or scratches that go through the aluminium layer of the disc holding it under a light, throw the bugger away. If you can't then chances are a bit of a buff with some Brasso on the offending scratches will fix it. I only recommend Brasso if it is jumping because it won't leave a mirror finish. Toothpaste will work but will leave the disc looking like it went through WW3.

7. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

What is EAC?

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

We have a local video rental store that has a very good disc polisher/scratch remover tower that I have used on my son's PS games that he used to not take care of, BUT NOW DOES. Usually about $2 a disc that they will run 2 or 3 times if need be. I have not had them not be able to repair a disc or ruin one, but that is my experience.

I also bought a home version for $30 from Best Buy that seems to clean up the surface some.

My rule is that I treat my silver disc just like I treat my LPs...with kid gloves...this is how you have perfect sound forever. My son now knows that if I find a disc out of its box he is about the suffer the Rath Of Kahn!

At $50 for PS3 discs that least he can do is take care of them or start buying them himself. I don't understand people not taking care of their stuff. Sorry to rant, but...

9. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

I am with you, it seems ridiculous to me that some people just can't take the time to put a disc safely back in the case when they are finished. As for playstation games, they do seem to be able to handle a lot more of a thrashing than your typical music CD.

10. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe the Shock button enables a buffer and data compression, not increased error correction. My "Discman" is by a company called GPX. It is a cheap $30 unit. It has 45 second shock protection. This can't be achieved by error correction. It can only be achieved by buffering data ahead of what is being played so that a shock to the read mechanism doesn't influence the data being played. The read mechanism can re-read after the shock without influencing the sound because the music was being played from the data buffer. The problem is this: The buffer is small so the data are "lossy" compressed before being loaded into the buffer. Listening with the shock protection on means listening to "lossy" compressed music.

11. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

I think you have just became dislexic all of a sudden
    Dislexics of the world untie :laugh:

12. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

yeah, if it's scratched badly enough, it can start to sound like "THIS-THIS-THIS"

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Sorry, but the only "rule of thumb" should be whether the disc still plays. There can be pinprick holes - even minor loses of data - because data irrelevancy and error correction should take care of such issues. I've got discs that look like crap that still play perfectly; conversely, I have a few discs that look perfect but don't play at all.

14. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

I tried the toothpaste technique on one of my less important discs, it worked ok, but left the finish dull, it seem to be TOO abrasive. I heard someone tell me to polish them with turtle wax to fill in the cracks, but I don't know about that one either.

Do the products that "fix" scratches really work? if so, do they live the finish of the CD looking dull, like my toothpaste experiment?

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Most of these seem to be pretty abrasive, but do contain a polish (wax) to make a shine afterwards. They don't seem to be great value.

I use a properly formulated plastic polish (brand name NOVUS) and get fine results. It's available in at least 5 grades, and I use the finest 3 (generally #2 only is needed).

Oh, and an old CD case or even just the insert is great for holding your disc still while giving it a good hard rub..

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Very rarely, in my experiences. Over the past few years I've been cheaply buying (or freely given) cd collections from friends abandoning the cd format. The vast majority have been from guys who stored their cds in binders, visors, spindles, floorboard of their car, etc. So far, a very surprising few have played with any skipping and, of those, boiling the disc or discs in water has alleviated that problem. EAC may be a different story but listening quality has for the most part been unaffected in my case.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a new one for me. Never heard of that technique.

18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I hadn't, either. It's a "home brew" technique I learned reading the avsforum a few years back for playing badly scratched Netflix dvds.

19. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

I'll try it with one of the less important titles...

20. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Does it need to be al dente?

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I don't understand why some people need someone else to tell them what their own ears hear.:confused:

Take one of your scratched discs, buy a new one of the same disc, listen and compare. If you hear a difference, act accordingly; if not, don't worry about it.

Am I missing some concept here?

John K.

22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have a question, Is a skip always caused by a scratch? I know my belt-driven CEC cd transport is prone to it. Sometimes, when I inspect the disc, I can't see any scratches.

Forgive me if this is off the thread's topic.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You are missing the forum concept of endlessly asking others for their opinion. ;)

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What are you playing them on?:cheers:

25. A properly designed tray is made from plastic or coatings that will not scratch the disc. I've seen some players that scratch every disc put in the tray, but these are uncommon.

Today this is problem is pretty rare with tray loading plyer or PC drives, especially because the early DVD players were so sensitive to scratches, most hardware makers eliminated the problem.

However, the slot load disc player reintroduced the problem. Generally dumb design. Even if the right materials are used, the disc still can get scratched because the slot opening gets dirty over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.