If Only 45s could talk ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chip-hp, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

then I could find out how an obscure pre-surf instrumental, 'H 2 0'/'Moon Katt', by an unknown group, the Hollywood Gamblers, ... released by a small Hollywood label (Ron Records, 6229 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, Calif.) ... on a hot pink colored label ... made it from So. CA in '61 into a box of 45s in an Antique Mall north of Dallas 41 years later ... in near mint condition.

Having never heard of the Hollywood Gamblers, I looked them up in John Blair's 'The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music' even though the music is not really surf music ... no listing.

I did a Google search and got an interesting hit ... a one page biography on a guy born James Marcus who recorded a "wickedly sexed up rocker" called 'Go Girls Go' backed w/ 'Teenage Quarrel' on the Design label in '58 under the name 'Jett Powers'. Jett appeared in small clubs in the San Fernando Valley in the late '50s and eventually formed a group called The Moon Dogs aka The Gamblers aka The Hollywood Gamblers. According to the bio, the group "featured Kim Fowley, Bruce Johnston and Sandy Nelson" and they recorded the following 3 singles:

Moon Dog/LSD-25 on World Pacific in '60

Moon Katt/H2O on Don in '61

Teen Machine/Tonky on Last Chance in '61 & '62

According to Blair, who lists the group under Gamblers, the group consisted of "Derry Weaver (lead), Elliot Ingbar (rhythm), Howard Hirsch (piano), Larry Taylor (bass) and Rod Schaffer (drums). Other individuals reported to have played in this Los Angeles band were Ted marsh, Bruce Johnston (piano), Sandy Nelson (drums) and Gary Paxton. Ingbar became a founding member of Frank Zappa's band, the Mothers of Invention, and later played with Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. Bruce Johnston went on to write, produce and record with groups like Bruce & Terry, the Rip Chords and the Beach Boys. Sandy Nelson became a popular session percussionist after his solo hit of 'Teen Beat' in 1959 and Larry Taylor later joined the group Canned Heat."

Anything that anyone can add ... especially you "old guys" :) in So. CA ... would be appreciated.

OBTW, that guy born James Marcus ... you probably know him as P. J. Proby.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Chip,

Very interesting story and a bit of musical history in your post. I am not, unfortunately, familar with this record. However, I suspect that the 45 made it's way from California to Texas via relocation of the owner who later sold their old 45's. Back in my big yers of collecting 45's in the mid- 70's, I acquired many 45's that were obviously, transplants from other areas of the country, whereby the owner had sold their 45's after relocating.

It was not unsual to see someone sell their 45 collection in their later adult years because of changing interests and activities. As an aside, I enjoyed the trivia and P.J Proby information as I have always had a fondness for his moderate hit from 1967--Nicki Hoeky.

Perhaps, a Forum member who grew up in California during that time period can enlighten us on this regional hit!

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.