If "The Wall" was a 4-LP set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I've actually finished putting Acts 1 and 2 together...

Act 3 is really hanging me up, though. The added material just doesn't mesh. (I want in the worst way to add "Southampton Dock" after "Vera" - I don't know if it's a Wall reject, but it sure fits the lyrical theme of that section.)

EDIT - Oh, my revised 'Act 3' tracklist will probably look like this:

01) Hey You
    02) Is There Anybody Out There (Part 1)
    03) Nobody Home
    04) Vera
    05) Southampton Dock
    06) The Final Cut
    07) Bring The Boys Back Home
    08) Is There Anybody Out There (Part 2)
    09) Is There Anybody Out There (Part 3)
    10) Comfortably Numb

"The Final Cut" has no distinct ending, so I can't end this particular suite with it. (The bootleg that inspired this project segues TFC directly into "The Show Must Go On", which I'm not doing.) I also considered adding "Paranoid Eyes", but despite the lyrics about hiding one's shame, it's especially obvious that the lyrics AREN'T about Pink - unless he for some reason went drinking with buddies in the midst of his drug haze. :p

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's already at least a side too long as it is. (see also, The Lamb)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think Tigers Broke Free is an essential part of the story. I love the LP release "The Film" (despite Geldofs' vocals) and wish that they had at least acknowledged the film and its score as part of the immersion release.

4. TheLazenby

I have the first three 'acts' done, and have nearly completed 'act 4'....

God, hearing the material now, I have *no clue* why Roger intended for the album to go on and on after "The Trial". After the wall comes down, there's no point in having a reprise of "The Show Must Go On" ('Who's Sorry Now'), an extra-long "Outside The Wall" that mutates into a more upbeat song ("It's Never Too Late") and a reprise of "The Thin Ice." I mean, what the hell is the point? You've reached the pinnacle of the story, which is followed by Roger briefly summing up the moral of the tale in song, the end - that's all one needs.

daveidmarx likes this.
  5. TheLazenby

I finally finished my work on actually putting this together. :)

Listening to it in one sitting (all 2 hours, 19 minutes of it) is an experience in itself - the only flaw really is that the "Final Cut" stuff makes the story lose focus, and you forget at times that this whole thing is supposed to be about a rock star. But otherwise, it all came together surprisingly well!

Docman240 and tmtomh like this.
  6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I thought it should've been a single album.

7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

i love listening to the album, its not difficult to enjoy. plus i wish more of the artists i was into growing up had of made double albums, the more the merrier.
    i never understand people who for example, say the double white would of been better as a single disc. i love the beatles and i want as much as i can.

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It would have been boring!

9. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Wall we have is perfect as is. Bloating it even further woulda been worse.

10. TheLazenby

Haven't made a front yet.... but I did put together a suitably-Scarfe'd back cover. :)

[​IMG]

Docman240 and tmtomh like this.
  11. If "The Wall" was a 4 disc set, I think I would have gone out of my mind as I didn't really like the album. But this is not your typical threadcrap. I actually quite like the live version even though I'm not really a fan of the studio version. So what I want to say to this was if they did the above live as a concert, I'd be all over it!

12. TheLazenby

Nah, even performing it live wouldn't have hidden the fact that some of the cut material (namely, "Sexual Revolution", the additional sections of "ITAOT?" and the unused suite after "The Trial") was just crap.

13. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I like the premise of the OP but also acknowledge the view that the album is already too long.

Maybe we should challenge the OP to come up with a single CD version utilising the best tracks from his 4 lp set.

14. TheLazenby

I WAS kinda thinking how a single-LP version of "The Wall" would be. (I wouldn't use any of the tracks I added, because they just stretch out the story and, obviously, were removable because Roger did.)

So, let's see....
    * KEEP - In The Flesh?
    * REMOVE - The Thin Ice - Never liked it. The main point of the song is just reiterated in the far superior 'Mother', anyway.
    * KEEP - Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1
    * KEEP - The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
    * KEEP - Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
    * KEEP - Mother
    * REMOVE - Goodbye Blue Sky - It works well with the movie visuals; as a song, it's just 'eh'.
    * REMOVE - Empty Spaces - Considering all we have left is the intended reprise of a song that's not even on the album, why keep it?
    * KEEP - Young Lust - Maybe with the Italian single intro so it doesn't start cold.
    * KEEP - One Of My Turns
    * REMOVE - Don't Leave Me Now - Okay, the previous song established that Pink is a terrible person, likes beating groupies and his groupie got away. Don't need this one.
    * KEEP - Another Brick In The Wall, Part 3
    * KEEP - Goodbye Cruel World
    * KEEP - Hey You
    * REMOVE - Is There Anybody Out There - The most disposable song on the album.
    * KEEP - Nobody Home - Just so you get an idea of the state of Pink at this point.
    * REMOVE - Vera
    * REMOVE - Bring The Boys Back Home - The whole point of the 'Pink watches a war movie and hallucinates' sequence isn't particularly clear anyway, so why not just cut it?
    * KEEP - Comfortably Numb
    * REMOVE - The Show Must Go On - The movie didn't need it, that's telling enough.
    * KEEP - In The Flesh
    * REMOVE - Run Like Hell
    * KEEP - Waiting For The Worms
    * KEEP - Stop
    * KEEP - The Trial
    * KEEP - Outside The Wall

I'm sure it could be cut down further - that's still 17 songs out of 26 and too much for a single LP - but it's a start....

(I actually just edited this to remove 'Run Like Hell'; yes, it's the only commercial song out of the 'Nazi' batch, but I felt I kept too much of side 4. OR, as an alternative, keep RLH and remove "Worms", which seems to exist only to make the listener as uncomfortable as possible.)

Hawklord and tmtomh like this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

First, I would like to commend @TheLazenby on his good cheer throughout this thread. I confess I've become less and less able to tolerate The Wall with every passing year, and so I've found some of the "Hatorade" served up in this thread quite funny. But were I in the OP's shoes as a big fan of the album, I don't know if I could've remained as positive and friendly about it as he has. So major thumbs-up for that! :righton:

As for the single-album version, I actually find that quite intriguing, although I would keep "Run Like Hell" simply because it's one of my favorite songs from the album.

LordJohn likes this.
  16. TheLazenby

I'd much rather keep it than "Waiting For The Worms" (something about Gilmour singing about 'our colored cousins' just creeps me out), but I'm not sure how it would segue to "Stop"?

tmtomh likes this.
  17. TheLazenby

There is actually one song I wish I could've used in this - but I tried putting it several places and *could not* make it work.

"Reminiscing", a demo of what eventually became "ABITW Part 1". It's about the frustrations of being in a band, and I thought it might work well maybe as a start to act 4, but I just couldn't do anything with it. I tried putting it before Comfortably Numb, after Comfortably Numb, before The Show Must Go On... shame, because it ends with a great Richard piano solo.

18. Docman240

Docman240 Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to get a copy of The Wall 4 act version ?

19. TheLazenby

I'll contact you via PM.

20. TheLazenby

Hmmm.... I can't send you a PM for some reason, it's not giving me that option.

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Why would you want to expand an album that is already too long?

Tristero likes this.
  22. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

It would of been a lot more expensive and twice as sh1tty.

23. kingofdmv

kingofdmv Forum Resident

I'd like to hear this too! PM me TheLazenby.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

For me, it was too long as a double. It was worth hearing once, but I couldn't see myself sitting through it a second time. I gave it to my daughter and got the movie which I've seen more than once. It makes more sense to me with the visual element.

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Less is More!
    [​IMG]

coffeetime, Tristero and Szeppelin75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.