If The White album was a single disc Then ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Holy Smokes !!!! I match you on 11 songs you have great taste !! Actually I have 1 version where I do a 13 song disc that includes Hey Jude-Revolution & all of the other 11 tracks I use are in your list of 15 !

I don't use
    1 Rocky Raccoon
    2 Savoy Truffle
    3 Julia
    4 Yer Blues

I use Piggies, Martha My Dear are the 2 you don't use. But never fear I make a separate 2nd album so they aren't wasted. I rather like having a single album of just my favorites. It's fun to listen to the sprawling original sometimes, but it's a lot quicker & easier to just hear the 13-15 favorites.

bvb1123 likes this.
  2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I have a 1 CD version that I made and added Hey Jude and Revolution. But it's a lesser album honestly. Sure it drops Wild Honey Pie and #9 - it may actually be more musical - but its lesser - it doesn't have as many highs and lows, twists and turns. I hardly ever listen to 'my' CD, but I listen to the original quite a bit (in full disclosure I usually skip #9 and Good Night, but once in a while it'll play through).

timind likes this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

What consensus is there on the great songs from the White Album sessions? The songs most would agree would be on a single album. I would think it would be:

Hey Jude
    Revolution
    Back in the USSR
    Dear Prudence
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    I’m So Tired
    Yer Blues
    Helter Skelter

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

If the White Album were a single disc, it would be missing a lot of great songs and would sound incomplete.

5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

There's no filler, even Revolution 9 deserves its place.

audiomixer, Bern, Folknik and 2 others like this.
  6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I don't get all the hate for "Honey Pie." (I'm not talking about "WILD Honey Pie".) It's an old time music hall type song with a nice melody and inventive chord progressions, and even John Lennon (who sometimes made snide remarks about Paul's "granny music") graced it with a pretty tasty jazz-inflected guitar solo. I'm guessing that those who don't like the Beatles' eclectic forays into other musical genres are the ones who think the Beatles should have just stuck to basic rock'n'roll and nothing else. The band those people are looking for is AC/DC. (Even the Stones and Led Zeppelin sometimes ventured into melodic non-rock territory.)

RobNeil likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Exactly, a lot of the beauty of the album is that it's so quirky and downright weird at times. Removing some of that means not getting the album, in my opinion. And "Revolution 9" is a very important part of it, including the way it occurs at the end, followed by "Good Night".

Stephen J, Bern, bward and 1 other person like this.
  8. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

....this, exactly.

9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I don't hate it...it just wouldn't make the single disc list (for me). The double LP format worked IMO. Allowed them to get rid of most of the songs they had built up. Would drop Piggies in favor of Not Guilty.

Bern

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Piggies" is another favorite of mine. Socially conscious Orwellian allegory lyrics, inventive melody and chord progressions, and nice Baroque arrangement. If something has to be dropped to make room for "Not Guilty", Let it be "Wild Honey Pie." It wouldn't have killed John and Paul to let George have 5 songs on a double album.

Bern, audiomixer and RobNeil like this.
  11. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

...agree that George should have had more on there. Must have frustrated him no end.

Folknik likes this.
  12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

8 out of 9 for me. No Yer Blues in my world. I need Sexy Sadie, Piggies, Martha My Dear & Don't Pass Me By. Except for Sexy Sadie, I won't get a lot of support on those last 4 choices. I like Piggies & Martha for the baroque classical 66-67 feel, the tight production Don't Pass Me By to get the Ringo track, Sexy Sadie is a classic no explanation needed. I think I'm missing one, I really like, it's too early here ..

13. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

O.k then....Paul wailing out of tune.

14. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

If in 1968 The White Album was only one single record it would not sound incomplete. Remember you couldn't miss any of the songs because you would have never heard them. Sir George Martin thought it should've been a single album. And for good reasons. We are die hard Beatle fans who are like, "You can't remove "I Will" it's the best song EVER...." And other such comments. But the rest of the world doesn't feel the same.

Yes, The White Album sold. Anything back then from The Bestles would have sold. And for good reasons. The Beatles turned out musical gold. Ahh a new Fab 4 album. Got to be good.

Not me, but they were a surprising number of Beatle fans who didn't like the musical direction The Beatles stumbled into after 1965. My cousin told me he tried to return his copy of Pepper to the store in 1967. He was 14 at time and felt that the Beatles were a rock band and so had no business doing... I quote my cousin, "....Artzy-Fartzy-Commy-Overindulgent-Pesudoclassical-Garbage..." And to him The White Album sounded like, I quote my stupid cousin, "...Musical diarrhea..."

15. Luke The Drifter

I will finish my list. I suggested 10 songs would have nearly consensus support for making the single album, but the universally recognized great songs is likely 9:

Hey Jude
    Revolution
    Back in the USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    I’m So Tired
    Helter Skelter

We are looking at a 14 track album. 6 John songs, 6 Paul songs, 2 George songs.

With this much material, I don't think Ringo gets a song on this album (not unheard of). If you have to have it, it could be Goodbye to close, or Don't Pass Me By, but you will have to leave off a good one. So no Ringo for me.

Paul would get 2 more:

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da: I love this song though many don't. Sorry fellows, there is no way this song did not make the cut. Paul loved it. It was put on Side 1 of the double album. It would be there.

Mother Nature's Son: A great song

That would have the following left off from Paul: Wild Honey Pie, Martha My Dear, Rocky Raccoon, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, I Will, Birthday, Honey Pie

John would get two more:

Yer Blues
    Sexy Sadie

That would have the following left off from John: Glass Onion, Bungalow Bill, Me And My Monkey, Revolution 1, Revolution 9, Cry Baby Cry, Julia

George will get one song per side. He already has WMGGW. I think his next strongest tune was Not Guilty, which would be my choice. I am not sure which the Beatles would have picked from Long, Long, Long, Piggies and Savoy Truffle. I like Savoy Truffle best from these.

So my "current" final list (subject to change in track order) is:

Side A

Back in the USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Yer Blues
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    Blackbird
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Side B

Revolution (Single Version)
    Not Guilty
    Sexy Sadie
    Helter Skelter
    Mother Nature's Son
    I’m So Tired
    Hey Jude

That is an amazing album, but it still works better as a double. Just too many great songs are left off.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  16. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

What if the Mona Lisa had been twins? Or she had been holding a cat?

God, please no more. It was, is and always will be a ****ing double!

Ern and klockwerk like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Here is the final result from Joey Self's weakest link on this site from 2015 It does not have Revolution or Hey Jude on it. I think this supports the notion that there are 9 songs from these sessions universally loved. The top 7 here, plus Hey Jude and Revolution.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    2 Dear Prudence
    3 Blackbird
    4 Back In The USSR
    5 Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    6 Helter Skelter
    7 I'm So Tired
    T8 Glass Onion
    T8 Mother Nature's Son
    T10 Sexy Sadie
    T10 Cry Baby Cry
    T12 Birthday
    T12 Julia
    T14 Martha My Dear
    T14 Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    T16 I Will
    T16 Yer Blues
    T16 Long Long Long
    T16 Revolution 1
    T16 Savoy Truffle
    T21 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    T21 The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
    T21 Piggies
    T21 Rocky Raccoon
    T21 Honey Pie
    T26 Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    T26 Don't Pass Me By
    T26 Wild Honey Pie
    T26 Revolution 9
    T26 Good Night

18. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

It should have been a triple album! Add the very long 12 minutes Revolution + Not guilty + Mary Jane + the whole acoustic session rehearsals at George's home.
    It would sell like the double one and avoid countless bootlegs of those tracks.

linclink likes this.
  19. arriano

arriano The California Kid

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

What a unique question. Very creative and original. Never heard this proposed. But, i always felt it should have been expanded. A triple album would be more apt i think. Expand Revolution 9 and add some George songs.

21. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Should have been a triple album.

What if John was named Barry? We wonder.

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I think the interview for the mini albums from 2009 with Paul said something along the lines of "its the Bloody Beatles White Album" when asked about whether cuts should have been made.

It is what is is; that is for posterity. Personally, I think I have heard Revolution #9 one time too many after the first playing. But fine, it had its time and place. Just imagine what Carnival of Light will sound like when it eventually shows up; it will probably make Revolution #9 look like a "chart burner" (Quoting Bob Weir from the closing of Winterland show if I recall).

Goodnight; I can skip that. Remove those two and it all fits on a CDR just great.

23. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I think that the only way that the White Album would work as a single album is to incorporate the Hey Jude/Revolution single.

Otherwise it’s too hard to pick the standout WA songs. There are boatloads of “very good” tracks, and everyone seems to have their preference. Basically, there is no consensus as to what the best songs are. Adding HJ and Revolution gives the album 2 more “can’t miss” tracks that helps to make a bigger impression in a shorter running time.

Side A

Back In The USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Revolution
    Ob La Di
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    I Will

Side B

Hey Jude
    I’m So Tired
    Blackbird
    Cry Baby Cry/Can You Take Me Back
    Helter Skelter
    Julia

Then I would take the leftover tracks to beef up the Yellow Submarine soundtrack:

Side A:

Yellow Submarine
    Hey Bulldog
    Mother Nature’s Son
    Only A Northern Song
    Martha My Dear
    Sexy Sadie
    Not Guilty

Side B:

Birthday
    Yer Blues
    All Together Now
    It’s All Too Much
    Across the Universe
    Me and My Monkey
    Good Night

24. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

If The White Album was a single album we'd have innumerable threads imagining what would have gone on TWA if it had been a double album and how fantastic it would have been.

mark winstanley and Ern like this.
  25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

If The White album was a single disc Then ?
    ...it just means the other half got lost (or dropped on the concrete) during the garage sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.