If The White album was a single disc Then ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

If it was split in two then half the scrapped songs would be bad and half the scrapped songs would be good because we just can't have a universe where a Beatles album is perfect & has no Ringo songwriting credits.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Side 1 org is just perfect.
    It's side 2 that's tricky..for a condensed single White LP. Art design/cover?

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

If The White album was a box set Then ?
    *with outtakes, alt versions, etc

4. alexpop

Don't worry it will come out.

In the year 2525:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    notesfrom likes this.
  5. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

A Doll's House:

Side One:
    "A Beginning"
    "Back in the USSR"
    "Dear Prudence"
    "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da"
    "Everybody's Got Something to Hide"
    "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
    "Happiness is a Warm Gun"
    "I Will"

Side Two:
    "I'm So Tired"
    "Blackbird"
    "Yer Blues"
    "Not Guilty"
    "Mother Nature's Son"
    "Savoy Truffle"
    "Good Night"

The single "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" b/w "Julia" is released on the same day.

The album is followed up by:

The Beatles:

Side One:
    "Glass Onion"
    "Honey Pie"
    "Happiness is a Warm Gun"
    "Don't Pass Me By"
    "Piggies"
    "Wild Honey Pie"
    "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"
    "Martha My Dear"

Side Two:
    "Birthday"
    "Sexy Sadie"
    "Helter Skelter"
    "Revolution 1"
    "Long Long Long"
    "Cry Baby Cry"
    "Revolution 9"

Yellow Submarine is released as a double EP with the following track order:

Side One:
    "Only a Northern Song"
    "All Together Now"

Side Two:
    "Hey Bulldog"

Side Three:
    "Across the Universe"
    "Rocky Raccoon"

Side Four:
    "It's All Too Much"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I wouldn't put it past Ringo to eventually release the White Ablum, Condensed Milk version, once Paul, God bless 'im, passes on.

Ringo: 'This is the White Album I know the fans and the rest of the Fabs would have wanted out, if it was a single al-bum'...

7. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

If the White Album had been a single disc, years later fans would be saying it should have been a double album.

8. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

It's always been a perfect double record just as it was/is. But that's just me. Without it being "just so", we would have no context for ever saying: "...but, it's their White Album..." and how terrible would that be?

It's a sprawling, revealing, confounding, fractured, egocentric, honest, shallow, inspired, frivolous, baffling indulgent, deep, irreverent masterpiece of a record...
    Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way (see also: Tusk, Something/Anything, Zen Arcade, Reflektor, Sign O' the Times, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, etc. etc)

From the U.K.'s Guardian, my sentiments exactly, "I love all the Beatles records, but knowing them so well, I don't often listen to them now. The White Album's the one I return to more than any other. I disagree with the suggestion that the White Album should have been a single album. Its flaws make it more interesting. And its sprawl, its endless variety and the Beatles' adventures into their subconscious makes it unknowable." All else is revisionist, hind sighted hooey. heheh.

Frosst, Jayseph and Purple Jim like this.
  9. alexpop

Ringo ism "White Ablum" :)

10. alexpop

George Martin thought differently.
    George Martin was right,the boys...also less than a year later thought likewise.
    Perhaps spurned by the get back sessions.

11. alexpop

The Beatles.
    Guess what keeps it current is the lo fi production. The indie Godfather.

12. NothingBrightAboutIt

Looking past the game of making the White Album into a single album (or more than one album), it is great for what it is. How four guys who years before were singing about wanting to hold your hand came back from India and put 30 tracks out is incredible.

There's almost a dark vibe that seeps up throughout the album, as if there's something building up. It comes up during the outro of "Glass Onion", the mellotron guitar in between "Wild Honey Pie" and TCSOBB, and eventually the coda of "Cry Baby Cry" that builds up into "Revolution 9". The way that dark vibe floats around so long wouldn't be as effective on a single album, but a double album has room for everything, including songs that probably wouldn't make it and link songs.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Can you take me back ...fella can you take me back.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That is what makes the white album so interesting (no great). It features many half-baked ideas and filler and it feels like a work-in-progress album. All this makes it fascinating but it's no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination compared to other legendary double albums like Electric Ladyland, Exile On Main Street, SOngs In The Key Of Life, Manassas or London Calling.

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

They spent at least a week recording Obladida - the first (rejected) version released on Anthology, the second version (heard on The White Album) and a third version which was rejected as Paul decided the second version couldn't be improved upon. All that work being done and time spent is pretty strong circumstantial evidence that Paul considered that song to be "the single" from the White Album sessions - prior to writing 'Hey Jude'. So I have a very hard time believing it would have been excluded. Plus it WAS released as a single in come countries with WMGGW on the b-side.

As for "Why Dont We Do it in the Road" - unless he was being sarcastic, Lennon said he loved it and thought it was among the best songs on the White Album. He also said he was somewhat annoyed that Paul didnt invite him to contribute to the recording, which as released was only Ringo on drums, and Paul on everything else. So I'd imagine it would have stood a pretty good chance of staying on the album.

longaway likes this.
  16. NothingBrightAboutIt

The poster inside goes beautifully with the album, a hodgepodge of personal pictures far from any official Beatles pictures at that point.

17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I think you will find a lot of people, even outside this forum, who consider The White Album the bands absolute masterpiece, because it shows who the band were, flaws and all, more than any other record they did. It's exactly what also makes Exile great.

ramdom, daveidmarx and gkmacca like this.
  18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

They would have moved on. But, the Anthologies would have been much richer a few decades later!

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I totally disagree. A masterpiece and flaws don't go together. I can't see any flaws in Exile, Ladyland or London Calling.
    If you're looking for Beatles masterpieces, then that lies in the 1963 to 1967 period alone (and perhaps Abbey Road).

20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I certainly think they would have been better served to make the White album a single disc, and then release another strong album with the leftover and extra tracks.
    Hey Jude, Revolution, Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, Hey Bulldog and Only A Northern Song is a nice start for an album. Add a half dozen of the leftover White album tracks and there you go. The real junk from the White album (and I think there is plenty) could have stayed in the vaults.

21. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

A "masterpiece" doesn't have to be perfect. The sum of the individual parts are what's it's all about to me.
    I see plenty of flaws in ALL Beatles records, as well as the albums you are mentioning. A thank goodness for that! Nothing are more boring than a landspace without textures.

misterdecibel and ramdom like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm all for varying textures, hell, look at Electric Ladyland or London Calling but I think the white album had too much filler, loose ideas to merit the title of "masterpiece". It's fun, it's fascinating and I love it but it's a sprawling mess of an album compared to other albums that really merit such accolades.

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

The White Album shouldn't have been shorter, it should have been longer--3 discs! Here's my suggested track listing for disc 3:

1--Lady Madonna
    2-Why don't we do it in the road? (John vocal--I know, it doesn't exist, but I wish it did)
    3-Teddy Boy (assuming the Beatles managed to complete it)
    4-Taking a Trip to Carolina (assuming the Beatles finished it for Ringo)
    5-Junk (same assumption as # 3)
    6-Not Guilty
    7-Revolution (single version)

side 2

8-Hey Jude
    9-Hey Bulldog
    10-The Inner Light
    11-Across the Universe
    12-While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George's demo)

notesfrom likes this.
  24. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I agree. There is a great single disc album in there. I listened to it for years as is, but in the CD era I edited it down to what I like.

25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I've tried to do this. There was too much material to make it into just one album. You would have had to cut out too much good stuff to achieve that. We just have to accept it as a great double album with some flaws to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.