If The White album was a single disc Then ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

The buzz of all the 'new' Beatles material from the Anthology has worn off. 2 new songs, 15-20 previously unreleased songs, alternate versions of well known songs, demo's etc. It's been 20 years + . It's only natural fans talk about remixing, or reconfiguring existing Beatles albums, there's nothing else available.

The main thing we have 35-40 White album songs available to mess with.

By the way, yesterday I read Ringo did a song with Cilla Black called I think- Don't you like me just a little bit, or something like that.. recorded in early 68 & broadcast on tv. Probably produced by Geo Martin... anybody heard this ? I can't find it anywhere, anybody know what it sounds like ? Or where to find it ?

2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

it may have been recorded at her show at the bbc which i think he was the first guest star. This will be a bbc recording probably live in front of the studio audience direct to tape. I do not think the episode survives but an audio recording might u never know.

3. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Class A drugs ruined the Beatles . End of.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Exactly. Why does this question get asked here every three months?

Ern likes this.
  6. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:nauga: A more precise question would be, "If you were to give The White Album the same format as Revolver, which five Lennon songs, five McCartney songs, three Harrison songs and one Ringo tune would you select from it?" I think I would definitely go for "Goodnight" over "Don't Pass Me By" but the rest is certainly up for grabs, depending on exactly what it is that one listens to music for.

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry no Julia ? No I Will ,other than that I have no problems

8. readr

readr Forum Resident

Here's my list of tracks that would make an album closely resembling Revolver in content as well:

John: Revolution, Julia, Hey Bulldog, Dear Prudence, Cry Baby Cry
    Paul: Back In The U.S.S.R., Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Lady Madonna, Blackbird, Hey Jude
    George: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Savory Truffle, The Inner Light
    Ringo: Good Night
    Maybe:
    SIDE ONE
    Back In The U.S.S.R
    Dear Prudence
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Blackbird
    Julia
    Hey Jude
    SIDE TWO
    The Inner Light
    Revolution
    Lady Madonna
    Hey Bulldog
    Savory Truffle
    Cry Baby Cry
    Good Night

9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Or ..."then you become naked"

FJFP likes this.
  10. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I agree with this. A sprawling, moody, fragmented double it no way eliminates it from being a masterpiece (in its own right). In fact, the sheer variety and weaving turns of melody and emotion are what makes you come back to this album more than any other. That's surely the case with me anyways.

I think Pepper and the White Album endure as the Beatles two crowning achievements. And largely because of completely opposite reasons! It's the stark contrast of these two albums that make them the best in my eyes.

"Aura", for lack of a better term, plays a big part in a masterpiece as well. And the White Album has more of that than any other album ever recorded, in my opinion. It has a vibe or magnetism that is impossible to explain but you know it when you play it. And then you play it again to see if it makes any sense. You can't figure it out so you play it again. And again. And again. Well, you can see the pattern here... :)

Many albums can battle for the title of "masterpiece". Very few albums can battle for the title of masterpiece AND have a lore. The White Album is distinct because it checks the boxes on both.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  11. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

As an occasional alternative, I decided to put together a single CD of the album implementing my favorite mixes. Here's what I came up with (just shy of 80 minutes long):

1. "Back in the U.S.S.R." (stereo)
    2. "Dear Prudence" (mono)
    3. "Glass Onion" (mono)
    4. "Wild Honey Pie" (stereo)
    5. "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" (stereo)
    6. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (mono)
    7. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" (mono)
    8. "Martha My Dear" (stereo)
    9. "I'm So Tired" (mono)
    10. "Blackbird" (mono)
    11. "Piggies" (stereo)
    12. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" (stereo)
    13. "I Will" (mono)
    14. "Julia" (mono)
    15. "Birthday" (stereo)
    16. "Mother Nature's Son" (mono)
    17. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" (mono)
    18. "Sexy Sadie" (stereo)
    19. "Helter Skelter" (stereo)
    20. "Long, Long, Long" (mono)
    21. "Revolution 1" (stereo)
    22. "Honey Pie" (mono)
    23. "Not Guilty" (from Anthology 3)
    24. "Cry Baby Cry" (mono)
    25. "Revolution 9" (stereo)
    26. "Good Night" (mono)

warewolf95 and alexpop like this.
  12. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

It would be counter-productive to reduce it to a single disc. I say it would be better off (not like it really needs to be better off..) by replacing weaker tracks with more solid outtakes and non-album singles, which there are a-plenty to choose from.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like the mix and match.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

George Martin must have made a list of titles for a single album( I'm sure Giles is aware of it).

15. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

1. If it were a single they probably would have picked the songs I don't like and omitted a lot of the ones I do like. They would probably released another album in June. The original came out in time to be a popular Christmas present, the second would probably come whe school was out. You get a lot of blockbuster albums in the summer.

2. I never understood the stand alone single. It sells more copies in the beginning, but if you're buying the album a few years later, it was too late to buy the single, and the album usually isn't as good. I.e. The U.K. vs US Are You Experienced. Still, it's a business decision, so I'm sure that they would ha e remained singles to be collected later like on the Hey Jude album.

3. I don't think they cared about Yellow Submarine all that much, they were thinking of bigger things. It probably would be the same as it actually is.

4. Probably very little-- I think with a double, they were trying to make a grand statement. There was plenty of stand alone singles and b sides to make a second release if they needed to for contract obligations.

5. As an executive, it all worked out for the best. All of the albums made plenty of money.

6. I'm not sure, but Rev #9 would definitely make the cut, Obla Di, Piggies, Don't Pass Me By, both Honey Pies and Rocky Raccoon wouldn't. However, I feel everything turned out for the best the way it actually happened. The one thing that I would change is that they would hav had two better songs than Maxwell and Octopus for Abbey Road and then it really would be one of the greatest of all time.

16. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

If you're going to do something like this you may as well kitchen sink it and make it the best possible listening experience:

Side one
    1. Dear Prudence
    2. Lady Madonna
    3. Not Guilty
    4. Back in the U.S.S.R.
    5. Wild Honey Pie
    6. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    8. Happiness Is a Warm Gun

Side two
    1. Blackbird
    2. I'm So Tired
    3. Piggies
    4. Rocky Raccoon
    5. A Beginning
    6. Don't Pass Me By
    7. Sour Milk Sea
    8. Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
    9. I Will
    10. Julia

Side three
    1. Sexy Sadie
    2. Mother Nature's Son
    3. Savoy Truffle
    4. Yer Blues
    5. Helter Skelter
    6. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    7. Hey Jude

Side four
    1. Junk
    2. Child of Nature
    3. Long, Long, Long
    4. What's The New Mary Jane
    5. The Inner Light
    6. Cry Baby Cry
    7. Revolution (take 20)
    8. Good Night

I'm sure the running times for the sides are all over the place.

17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

No flaws on "Ladyland"?
    I think you need to go back and listen to "Little Miss Strange". It totally devalues the album.

18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

... I would have 5 less CDs in my Beatles collection.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It is the weakest track on the album but as I pointed out on the other thread where we discussed this, it was Jimi's concession to Noel's ambitions and it was very galant of him. The song's pop quality and Noels lighter voice do sound a little out of character with the overall thrust of the album - mind you, it is in similar aural texture to Jimi's "(Have You Ever Been To) Electric Ladyland". Also, Noel's track makes a nice atmosphere change as it kicks off Side B and it is brilliantly executed, even if one doesn't like Noel's voice. So, no, "Little Miss Strange" is not a flaw at all and Electric Ladyland remains the greatest rock album of all time.

Crossfire#3 and Grunge Master like this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Sorry...I did not initially realize it was you I had discussed this with on the other thread. I don't think I can agree with "the greatest rock album of all time" assessment. I may even like "Are You Experienced" better. I don't know...I also have always had issue with the fidelity of some of the tracks on "Ladyland", like "Burning of the Midnight Lamp", which is so distractingly muddled. I'm not sure there is a flawless double for me. Maybe "Songs in the Key of Life".

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah, good one. Manassas also.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

23. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Hard to believe nobody's ever broached this subject before.

Well done, sir!!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Actually, it's only four "No's". It goes "No, no, no, NOOOO! Say you don't need no diamond rings, and I'll be satisfied".

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I'll give "Ladyland"a spin this afternoon. It's weird, but I had never heard of "Manassas". Not sure how that one missed my radar, but I'll have to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.