If you are thinking about buying 4K equipment, read this....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This should give @Vidiot a place to come for the next month. :laugh:

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, there really aren't that many 'pitfalls' as such. Consider that you won't be able to get a 1080p (fullHD) TV going forward, so 4k isn't a pitfall but a new standard, whether the content you're viewing is mastered/transmitted in 4k or not.

4k UHD is more about expanded color gamuts with 10-bit displays and more colorful pixels, and HDR encoding. It's these attributes which define the new standard more so than outright resolution. And it's in this area where content is sorely lacking at the moment. This will continue to be the case for at least a year+ (with content released in dribs and drabs that do support full UHD).

If I didn't have to buy a new TV, I'd be holding off for at least a year, as the UHD gets bedded in, competing HDR standards are worked out and more content that takes advantage of the new standard comes on stream (most likely first through streaming services like Netflix).

dbsea, crispi, Bingo Bongo and 2 others like this.
  4. Rachael Bee

I already have a 40" Samsung 4k-ish.... ;) .....TV in my bedroom. It's a spectacular looking TV....for DVD and BD. The 4k Blu-ray format sounds like a total scam, starting with the proposed software. I doubt that 4k streaming content will even equal BD anytime soon.....??? Like you and the article point out, the improved color standards aren't set. There seem to be no meaningful standards for the 4k software and improved color on the sets seems to be a myth so far.

Yeah, the sets are nice but everything else looks like a scam so far.

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The average person doesn't bother to calibrate their TV or turn off the motion smoothing. I can't image the headaches and horrendous images people are going to be dealing with when 4K UHD sets start becoming common.

Robert C, Rhett, dbsea and 6 others like this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The standards aren't a scam. Why would you think so? Standards are separate to what content is available right now that supports that standard. Support will only increase over time.

You can chase absolute numbers, etc, and yes, streaming bitrates will never match the bitrates available in digital files/optical discs, but a majority of people can't tell the difference between a HQ streamed video over good connection and a BD player. It just has to be sufficiently good for the difference not to be noticeable. Netflix is currently both offering 4k streaming and improved quality (dynamically determined according to your connection). Again, this will improve over time.

Actually, the color standard is set - 90%+ DCI-3. What's still being juggled around is the HDR standard, as a handful of companies are pushing their own versions. But even so, there is a minimum HDR specification within the UHD standard itself.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. Oh, for the days when you could just buy a goddam CRT, plug in the cable, and turn it on. I was planning to finally bite the bullet and get a flatscreen, but now I'm afraid to move. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Rhett, Thwacko and DigMyGroove like this.
  8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

No 3D support? I can't wait to read the impressions from the six members here actually using it. :shh:

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

This is exactly why I did not upgrade to a 4K set over the holiday season. The standards are just now hammered out and finalized?? I would be a very unhappy camper if I'd already bought a 4K set. With Ultra HD Blu-Ray they're already screwing things up at launch, just like they did with DVD and Blu-Ray.

No thanks, I'll sit back and let the early adopters dig right in. I'll come back in 12-18 months, get more features and pay half as much.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My tv is still 720p and I'm getting by.

11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

You'd likely enjoy a nice flatscreen. For me, the takeaway is that one doesn't necessarily need to spend top dollar to have all the latest
    "features." You'll get a very nice tv with mid-range money.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

...especially if these 4K TVs are not Cars-ready :p :D

chilinvilin, Myke and forthlin like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

It's the disc format and the 2k, in reality, media that's a scam for now, save a few real 4k discs that Sony is planning to release.

I read another article on Google a few weeks ago that claimed that all current UHD TV's are obsolete over the lack of a High Range Color standard and I forgot what else.... However, these UHD sets are awfully good for BD's in my limited experience.

Maybe it's ultimately a scam that UHD Blu-ray is only gonna look way better than reg-lar BD on enormous displays, maybe only with projectors and 120+ inch screens....?

Alotta' little chinks in the armor add up....lax or lack of standards, phony software, on and on. I'm OK with UHD sets but actual UHD signals for them any time soon is laughable....other than Sony's planned discs. I can't wait to get a glimpse of Sony's $1000 player. They always have a $1000 player for any new format. I can't wait to not buy one. I hope my plasma sets live long and prosper till serious sets with universals standards emerge. I'm dubious about the value of the UHD Blu-ray format, period....unless I buy a good, used drive-in theater and need all the resolution I can get.... :D In the meanwhile, I have my little, obsolete 40" UHD sets that looks spectacular for DVD's and BD's. I'm gonna try a 1080i D-Theater tape on it soon. That's the only advanced format I have not tried on it yet.

Chris DeVoe and mikeyt like this.
  14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I like Special K

Rhett and dewey02 like this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There is no scam here. Technology and standards change all the time. If you're well informed, you'll know exactly what you're getting and why.

16. Rachael Bee

Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no..... ;)

17. For those looking into a little preview of UHD quality from current Blu-rays, check out Sony's The Smurfs 2. Shot at 4k and also finished at 4K, the Blu-ray for it looks as good as anything ever released on the format. I imagine a true UHD version of it will look absolutely spectacular on a 100" screen.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He is very correct. There's a lot of misrepresentation and folley involved with 4K. I'm also very concerned about the high compression rates they're touting for 4K. And I'm unconvinced that HDR is going to be done well in the next year or so, at least not for a consumer-priced set.

19. Rachael Bee

Yeah, but is it a scam.... ;) Josh is a good writer. I think his little article is laid out exceedingly well.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think the word scam means what you think it does.

21. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

May I say that the quality of video that we now have in the home is so much better than we have ever had?

I grew up with a 13 inch-ish black and white TV with 5 channels. Of those, 3 usually gave a watchable picture.

Not one of the upgrades in the years since was ever as good as it claimed. Larger screens, colour, higher definition etc.

Yet the quality continues to improve.......

I, for one, can't complain too much. 4K will continue the age old pattern. It will disappoint and continue to raise the bar.

chilinvilin likes this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

So I guess I'm sticking with my 30" widescreen Samsung Slim Tube 1080i set for a while? Nine years old, still going strong, and such a great picture.....

What I really want is an affordable OLED set, don't need or have room for 55"+.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:sigh:

chilinvilin and subzro like this.
  24. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

You're worried for me.... :confused:

25. Herein lie the other problem for the upgrade: the titles in which the actual tech and tech pipeline is used. It's like they're holding the actual tech hostage in these crappy titles that no-one wants to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.