If you could have been present during any period in musical history what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btbderek

btbderek Kick Out The Jams

If it was locked in to 10 years, I'd say '65-'75. But if it didn't matter, I'd start at 16 in 1957. I'd enjoy the early rock n' roll and cruise around in hot rods and enjoy the American Graffiti like culture. Early 60's Surf music and stay around in California and stick around to see The Doors and The Grateful Dead get their start. By then from 1967-1972 would be very busy, my favorite time span for music by far. Who knows if Id be able to see everything I wanted to see, there was so much going on. Would have went to all the great festivals, seen Cream and Hendrix tear up the stage. Would have caught a lot of early Zeppelin and Sabbath shows. I'd be in the middle of the street for that last rooftop appearance for the Beatles. Then in between all of that there's many less well known psychadelic/acid rock/proto punk and proto metal bands I would travel to see. '72 onward I would just follow around Zeppelin/The Dead/Floyd and a few others in to the mid/late 70's and from there would ride it out into the 90's and follow around Tom Petty and The Grateful Dead. All of this assuming I was born in a wealthy family and didn't have to work a day in my life haha. In this case I'd also be using this time building a very expansive record and car collection, and buying all things that I could never accumulate in todays age in such large quanity such as cool mid century furniture, old neon and metal signs, soda machines, Jukeboxes, vintage music equipment, ect.

apesfan likes this.
  2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

1969 UK - All the still budding bands that could be seen in small venues, Tull, Zepp, Free, etc. etc. And yes. being on a London street in January with the Beatles echoing through the streets playing on a roof top.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The 70s for me what a time to see some classic rock

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'd give a lot to spend a Saturday night at a real-life Arnold's in 1958 or so!

5. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

The Pre-Romantic and Romantic eras.

6. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

The last 120 years would do me :righton:

7. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Real "rock" music ?

stetsonic likes this.
  8. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

1967-1977

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Same here! Would have loved to be on the Rooftop concert from the Let It Be sessions......

oboogie and AdamChanSiuLung like this.
  10. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

This Yankee loved Marshall Tucker and Outlaws. Id "Sing my blues" for that "Long hard ride". Bad I know, John M.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm very happy with the period I've lived through (so far)...born in 1961.

12. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

It would be cool to go back in time and buy some rare albums, but make sure your have cash from that time period or the cashiers might get suspicious.

13. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I think I am very fortunate to have lived during the careers of so many great artists and bands. I am a Deadhead and can remember many times discussing with friends how fortunate we were to be seeing the Dead and the experience of their concerts. Virtually every show I would think that there was no place on earth I would rather be than where I was.

My daughters both roll their eyes when I talk about 1974-1975. During about a 15-month period from mid 1974 to late 1975 I saw all of these bands:

Deep Purple
    Eric Clapton
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Rolling Stones
    Yes
    The Who
    Allman Brothers Band
    Little Feat
    J. Geils Band
    Dave Mason
    ...and quite a few more.

I was very lucky to have been in the right places at the right times.

That being said, what I would give to have been at the Monterrey Pop Festival in 1967!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.