If you could only listen to a 10 year span of music, and nothing else, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack Flash, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

1966-75. That covers me nicely from "The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators" up to Zeps "Physical Graffiti" :)

2. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

March 1965 (when Bob Dylan went electric)
    to...
    July 1975 (When Sabotage was released)

mds likes this.
  3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

As often as not when I listen to something it is music from that time period. Rock music had become mores sophisticated, Progressive rock had come into being, country music at that time was in its' prime, and John Mayall and Alexis Corner had created a whole new interest in the blues which bled over into rock music as musicians who had played with him were playing in rock bands.
    As well as it was the most experimental time for music, because technology had blossomed to the point of making what was previously only to the imagination popular. So musicians were not merely writing and performing music to make money, they were doing it to entertain themselves with all the new gizomos.

mds likes this.
  4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

impossible for me as I love the 40's as much as the 60's...it's all about melody/harmony.

6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

1968 to 1978

7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

8. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Before I even clicked on the thread I was thinking 65-74 and I see a lot of other people agree.

Like the OP I would miss KOB also :(

Jack Flash, mds and RockDude4492 like this.
  9. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Screw it, 2005 to 2015 :p

It represents my first 10 years of working life (and relative financial freedom) and I have discovered so much great music in that time.

Hokeyboy, longaway and LivingForever like this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Then your demographic ain't being served. Almost all cable TV is geared toward the 1980s. Maybe it has to do with the Breakfast Club Generation hitting 40. There's a movie channel called Retro which mostly shows movies from the fifties and the eighties, skipping right over the age of "The Godfather" and "Harold and Maude." That rotten Breakfast Club.
    What was I talking about? Oh, the Beatles wasn't it?

11. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

But the Duke himself penned It Don't Mean a Thing (if it ain't Got that Swing)

12. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

64 through 73.

13. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

67-77 for me
    would have been interesting to see DOB with these to know whether it's a generational thing.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

August 5, 1966 - August 4, 1976

That gets me from Revolver to Olias of Sunhillow. All I really need is in that decade.

15. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

1964-1974

16. Ain'tNoRight

Ain'tNoRight New Member

50-60 for me. Parker, Monk, Powell, Davis, Coltrane. Not to mention the great pre-(and post) Elvis R&B of the 50's. Plus Glenn Gould, Hank Williams and Patsy Cline. I'm set.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  17. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Another vote for 65-75

mds likes this.
  18. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

hmm... this is tough. Two of my favorites are Rush and Zeppelin, and if I get Zep III in there, I loose out on Moving Pictures. I'ld have to have Zep III, and prefer the earlier Rush anyway, so I guess I'ld give up Moving Pictures... Then, it's between Zep II or the The Wall. As much as I like Zep II, I've gotta have The Wall, so for me it would be 70 - 79. This would include my favorite Jethro Tull period also, along with a bunch of others.

19. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Blimey, that's a tough one. Probably 76-86. That way i'd take in Punk, New Wave, The last embers of classic Rock, the rise of nwobhm, the New Romantic pop movement, Goth, and the rise of the indie guitar bands. Plenty of variety to keep me going!

nbakid2000 likes this.
  20. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

If like to pick different time spans for each genre of music. :)

Since that seems like looking for a loophole I'll say 65 to 75, but I wouldn't be 100% happy. That is a compromise. I'm trading away Punk and New Wave to get part of the 60's rock and pop in there.

mds likes this.
  21. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Probably 84 til 94

longaway likes this.
  22. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

1966-1975

23. "If you could only listen to a 10 year span of music, and nothing else, what would it be?"

Ok, since it wasn't stated as being contigious :)

I would pick 68-73, and 76-79

24. A really difficult question to answer. Some of my favourite albums came out in 1982. What to do with albums from 1972 if I went for 1972-1981?

These may not be high on anybody else's radar but they're mighty special to me so I'll have to work backwards from 1982.
    Pallas - Arrive Alive (for example, an album I couldn't live without.)
    Gamma - Gamma 3
    Jethro Tull - Broadsword & The Beast
    Genesis - Three Sides Live

So, 1973-1982.

25. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

1963-1972.

I can't do without Brian Jones' outrageous slide solo on "I Wanna Be Your Man" in 1963...and likewise, Exile On Main St from 1972. And in between, I get all of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, C.C.R, The Doors...the best of Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, The Allman Brothers Band, Deep Purple, Free...and a lot of the best of The Who, Led Zeppelin, Freddie King, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis...

Then again, I miss out on all the great Chicago blues legends, all the '20's and '30's blues legends, the '50's rock 'n' roll legends...so I don't think I can play!

Sneaky Pete and sami like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.