DCC Archive If you could pick Sony's next SACD, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Mine would be The Clash's London Calling. By the way, a Tower records here in San Diego stopped selling DVD-A discs because the SACD's are selling better. :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, it's a toss up:

Nashville Skyline
    Sounds Of Silence

Both 5:1 and original analog mixes.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Uriah Heep-Demons & Wizards or The Magician's Birthday-5.1 of course!

4. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Steve,
    Nashville Skyline is only 27 minutes long. I realize it was a huge seller for Dylan, but that was when lots of LPs were only 30 or so minutes. Now people feel cheated if they don't get 80 per CD. I'd love to hear Nashville Skyline too, but there are going to be complaints, mark my words.

If you put out a surround mix yourself of anything, are you leaning towards using original quad mixes of the 70s or making some new ones?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Depends on the project, Paul.

If an old Quad mix is GOOD, that's one thing. But, some I've heard are really sucky.

Now all of you Quad 8 lovers, don't flame me.

It's just that, well, I could do some new killer surround mixes (if I had to...)

By the way, Let's have Sony put Nashville Skyline and John Wesley Harding as a "two-fer" on one disc.

That would work, eh?

;)

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

6. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

A two-fer of Nashville Skyline and John Wesley Harding would be okay for the marketplace but I think it's no more likely to meet with Dylan's approval than The Beatles agreeing to combine a couple of their early albums : )

7. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Speaking of original Sony Music Quad Mixes, check out the new Multichannel/Stereo SACD discs "Ship Ahoy" by the O' Jays and "3+3" by the Isley Bros that were released on SACD this week.

Both of the 5.1 mixes are adapted from the original analog quad master tapes. The music is full range and very discrete. A far cry from the days if playing back these titles on SQ LP via a Tate SQ decoder! Very impressive!

8. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Last I heard Sony was still looking for the master tapes for Nashville Skyline. Have they since been found or does it not make a difference when it comes to SACD ? Not trying to be a sarcastic twit, just honestly don't all that much about SACD. (Sorry Greg)

Thanks All - ED

9. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

P.S. Darn straight a lot of quad mixes are no good. Isolating four different instruments in four individual corners is no way to make a good stab at representing reality, and I've heard that kind of mix.
    I'd vote for you doing new ones. Quad mixes were for different machines with different limitations.

10. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Nashville Skyline: Billboard mentioned in their July 11, 1997 issue that the master couldn't be found, but I'm almost certain it's been located in the meantime.

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Blood on the Tracks, released version + bonus tracks from original version

BTW, "Sounds of Silence" is not exactly a double LP, either.

And I would vote for PSR&T before that one. :D

12. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Glad to hear the Nashville Skyline masters may have been found, definitely in my Dylan top 5. God, I hope Dylan's catalogue gets some attention in 2002.

-ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.