If You Could Start Over....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

What fundamental changes would you make to your system? I say start over 'cause if you were to change your speaker systems for example, it would in many cases dictate a change in power amplification also.

Other than monetary aspects are there any reasons that you don't make drastic system reconfigurations?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think I'm finally at the point where I don't need to make fundamental changes, but that doesn't mean I won't out of the usual desire just to change something that eventually takes over. But this was only achieved over the last four or so years after many fundamental changes in terms of trying four different types of speakers (from single driver to high efficiency, to wide dispersion) and different types of amplification (low power tube, high power tube, high power SS, bi-amping). My system might not satisfy someone else, but it satisfies me.

John K.

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think in terms of fundamental changes, the biggest one I would like to try is tube amplification. The biggest hold up (besides financial ) is my lack of knowledge on the subject. In this day and age you cannot waltz into your favorite audio store and check out the tube amps. I guess I really don't know were to start.

4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Tubes and two channel.
    Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have jumped into MC, and I often wonder if I'd be better off keeping my main speakers and scrapping my amplification for tubes.

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I'd get a really powerful KT-88 based tube amp, a 12AX7 / 12AU7 pre, and some really gorgeous, really expensive speakers (maybe top-end B&W's or Energy Veritas).

And I'd never buy all the mid-fi stuff I bought earlier on.

6. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I'll get a home with the potential to build a dedicated room.

7. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

If I could turn the clock back one year, I would move the modest 5-channel system I had into the bedroom or something, and spend the money I have in the past year on a better 2-channel system.

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'd like to build my "dream" two-channel system with a pair of Martin Logan CLS-II speakers and Hsu Research subs. :thumbsup: And of course, any other new electronics I'd need to make it happen. (IIRC, the CLS-IIs required an amp that could handle low impedances...?)

Still wish I had room in my basement for a pair of Klipschorns. :D

9. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Ditto, I'd rather have a mediocre system in a great room(appropriately treated), than a killer system in a bad room. :)
    My challenge right now is, what speakers to get that will react well in my funky room. :shake:

10. Khorn

In Your profile you mention "major suck out" due to openings in the room. Have you thought any variation of "nearfield monitoring" being suitable in your situation? My situation will be in some way like yours in my new space and in reality I'll be nearfield listening but with Klipschorns. Sounds strange but it works.

11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Audition as many choices as you can, preferably with your equipment and in your own room. Ditto for cables.

You may enjoy my free Mediaroom spreadsheet. Request it by sending mail to [email protected].

12. Vinyl-Addict

At the moment I have my speakers set up along the long wall(17').
    There is an opening to a stairwell behind my right speaker and an opening to a hallway adjacent to the left speaker.
    I sit 7' from each speaker, speakers are 8' apart. I have a tough time getting decent bass response at normal listening level(<80db). I'd like to be able to achieve better bottom end below deafening listening levels.
    BTW, what is your idea of "Nearfield listening"? :)

13. Khorn

My new space is opposite in a way. My speakers will be on a solid wall in corners of course with the speakers facing a wall with angled openings (entrances) opposite each of them. The room depth (from the speaker wall) is about 11 1/2 ft. Because I have three solid walls ( the speaker wall and the two sides) bass will not be a problem.

Have you thought of adding a pair of good subs matched to your present speakers or, stand mounted monitors of equal quality and subs which can be placed for best bass output in your space? Some kinds of EQ are possible also but, I don't think it would be as cost effective (to get EQ good enough) or as satisfying as good subs.

Unfortunately the space the system is loaded into alters the sound whether we like it or not so, the best we can do is "appease the space" so to speak. If you intend on remaining where you are for the foreseeable future then these might be things to consider.

My idea of "near field" is where the speakers and listener are placed in close enough proximity so as to eliminate as many extraneous factors as possible effecting the sound reaching the listener.

It's 6 am and I'm a bit "fuzzy" so I hope the above makes some sense to you. :D

14. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

It would be great to start all over again. I started with System "A" almost two years ago, changed speakers right away, and went through a few sources as well.

Decided to go SET, got my present speakers, and went through a couple of more source combinations.

Starting over...

I would get the top-of-the-line monoblocs from my present amp builder (Fi), and go up several price points on a set of high-efficient full-range speakers. For source, it would be the Progression DAC from 47 Labs, with an appropriate transport.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great discussion Khorn. Here are my immediate thoughts:

1. I would have gone with mono tube amps for the Maggies.

2. I would have paid more attention to room acoustics.

3. I would have gotten into vinyl with a decent turntable from Day 1. Too much good sound and performance still best served by vinyl.

My next upgrade is to go from 1.6 Maggies to the 3.6s. :cool:

16. Vinyl-Addict

I may try monitors with a pair of subs, however I'm a little concerned that monitors won't be able to handle higher SPL's when I get the urge to turn it up. I still listen to a lot of rock, AC/DC, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc. Thanks for your offering some options.:)
    Steve already mentioned that no EQ could solve my situation in another thread. :cry:

17. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I pretty much started over after finding this site two years ago. Since then, I bought a Yamaha RXV1 to use as a MC pre, replaced my old Sony ES CD player with a Sony 555ES SACD changer, and later added a Sony AX777ES single disc SACD player and a Yamaha DVD-A player. I replaced my old Klipshorns (purchased in the early 80s) with Vienna Acoustics Mahlers. I'm still running dual McIntosh 7270s bridged for 540 wpc mono to power the mains, with no plans to change any time soon, and still running a Sony ES stereo amp (the big one with the huge meters) for the rears. I'd like to replace my Klipsh rear channel speakers with Vienna Acoustics Beethovens (no room for more Mahlers or Strauss), but I'm in no real hurry since I've found few 5.1 mixes I can stand to listen to. I HATE busy surround mixes, and the Mahlers present a fairly 3D soundstage anyway.

Both my McIntosh C28 and C34 stereo pres need service. One of these days I'll bundle them up and ship to McIntosh. At present I'm using the RXV1 for stereo, also. I would like to pick up a McIntosh C2200 tube pre or C200, but I want to audition both in my home, which isn't happening in Houston, TX, so this idea is on hold.

Next up: I'd like to pick up a high end vinyl rig when $$$ allow.

If MC ever really takes off, I'll probably pick up a couple of McIntosh monoblocks to use for the mains and use the 7270s for the center and rears.

18. Khorn

Maybe I was a bit ambiguous. I guess I gave the impression that I was talking about mini-monitors. There are many high quality as well as high output speakers in smaller than full floor standing size. There has been great advances made in the self contained dedicated amplification built into and matching subwoofer units.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you might have in mind but I just read a great review of the speaker system posted at the link below. They look very interesting, the sub looks great but is not inexpensive but because of your room situation one subwoofer might be ideal and work best.

Scroll down to the Platinum M2 then down to the Platinum Subsonic 10 Subwoofer. Strange name for a sub that uses two 12" drivers ??

Nice System

There are quit a few other first class speaker makers worth checking out also.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not me! A good pair of speakers will sound good just about anywhere. Poor speakers will never sound good. What would you rather have a turd in a fancy box or a jewel in a cardboard box?

20. Vinyl-Addict

I did'nt say "POOR" system, I said mediocre system. I regard my system as mediocre compared to what's out there. I waffle back and forth when upgrading equipment because of the type of room I listen in. I stand by my previous statement that the room is a very important component which has a major influence in the overall performance of a system.
    In your opinion, what is a "good" pair of speakers? :)

21. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Tullman said:

"A good pair of speakers will sound good just about anywhere."

Sorry, but I cannot agree...I believe that the room is more important than the gear...unless we are talking about ghetto blasters or clock radios...it is best to optimize the room as much as possible.

OTOH, it is possible to LEARN the sound of one's own room/system, so that (within your system) you can judge the merits of new components / speakers, etc.

peace,

22. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I'd go for a Fisher 300 tube amp, Tannoy Red speakers, Garrard 301, with a V15III cart, Sony SACD player (the one Steve Has), Phillips DVD-V / DVD-A player, Crown 300 Reel to Reel deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.