If you don't "Get"/understand or appreciate HipHop/Rap please listen...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I simply hate the sound of rapping. Sorry. It annoys the crap out of me.

I'm just one opinion. I'm OK with my opinion, but if you arent, hey, I'm just one guy. Dont let it bother you.

2. Tell that to the lion as you poke it.

3. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Rap has it's moments.....some amazing albums over the years. I own quite a few. But far too much crap, especially since the dawn of the 2000's

morinix likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Beetle"?

tkl7 and morinix like this.
  5. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

6. I was wondering about that too. :magoo:

tkl7 likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think that applies to every genre. IMO, there was a lot of crap in rock in the 60s and 70s, including a lot of what's popular in these forums.

Rodz42 and eddiel like this.
  8. Few people know that "Beatle" Bailey was the drummer before Pete Best. That's how they got their name.

Beatle wore that hat to hide his moptop.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Hokeyboy likes this.
  9. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I probably didn't really totally appreciate rap (although I always liked Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy etc) until I hung out with some guys at a party that just spontaneously started making up beats and lyrics for at least an hour or more. It was truly amazing, I was completely blown away. Their improve skills were just as good as any musician on an instrument to me.

wolfram, RonW and morinix like this.
  10. Like Mr scratch?

starduster and norman_frappe like this.
  11. The classic human beat box. I have the 12" single of this.

starduster likes this.
  12. Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  13. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Billy Idol never sneered, nor did Elvis...
    and yeah, I'm sorry, but Randy Newman has a permanent sneer on his face and lyrically can be menacing:

“We’re rednecks, rednecks / And we don’t know our ass from a hole in the ground / We’re rednecks, we’re rednecks / And we’re keeping the (n-word) down.”

Yet if a rapper used those lyrics, white people would lose their minds...

14. Convenient! You isolate the "sneer" part and you don't consider the latter part of my sentence. The substance of your argument is a thin as the basic musical content of the Hip Hop genre.

15. FastForward

Yes, because "short people" is WAY deeper than any rap song ever...and I chose to ignore the sawed off shotgun part because I felt it was stereotypical.

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There's no outrage of Zappa because he's been dead for 20 years. There was plenty of outrage over Zappa when his music was current. There's no outrage over Randy Newman because, if asked, the majority of people would response "Randy who?".

morinix likes this.
  17. Not sure about the Short People ref. if you are being sarcastic. Bad song to choose to bolster a serious argument since the song does say "short people are just the same as you and I". As for the latter part of my sentence, here is a white guy (just so we can tear down some possible implications of raceism) showing nearly what I am talking about. This is a bit more threatening than a joke about rednecks or jewish princesses
    [​IMG]

18. All true! My point is though, even when Frank was alive and you ran into him in a dark alley you wouldn't have a first thought him like the picture I just posted above. I should think the same would go for the Fat Boys too. Those guys look like a lot of fun! But in the 90's the "Cop Killer" thing started and soiled the whole genre for most.

19. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I'm shocked... SHOCKED!... that the anti- crowd is engaging in offensive cultural stereotypes :righton:

PHILLYQ likes this.
  20. FastForward

You must not be familiar with Ted Nugent...what you are trying to use as an argument to support your views is a generalization, a stereotype, that would never be taken for truth in any type of serious discussion of the subject. My point that you are missing is that making blanket statements, such as "thin musical content" or "sneer into the camera in a menacing manner" won't hold water because there are multiple examples of the same in multiple genres of music to shoot massive holes in your theory...and it's "racism" not "raceism(sic)". But nice image of what us white folks here in the south do every weekend at the gun range...never thought I was menacing before but now I got me some street cred, eh?

21. Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Depends on what decade you're talking about. My grandparents would have been afraid for their lives if they ran into Zappa in a dark alley in the 60s.

morinix likes this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Let me just point out that Cop Killer was a hardcore punk song by Ice-T's ROCK band, Body Count.

24. Maybe not in the early 60's [​IMG]

25. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

morinix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.