If you don't "Get"/understand or appreciate HipHop/Rap please listen...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There was also a punk band in the 80s called MDC which stood for Millions of Dead Cops

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, I guess my point is that people always refer to Cop Killer as if it was a gangsta rap song and point to it as negatively reflecting hip hop and rap, even though it was a hardcore song. Yes, a rapper sang it, but IMO, it wasn't particularly offensive compared to other songs by non rapper fronted hardcore/thrash/speed bands.

wolfram and Billy Infinity like this.
  3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

No, but it was true in the late 60s. They associated long hair and facial hair with radicals like those at the 68 Democratic Convention or Kent State. My parents let us grow are hair long staring in 67 and we caught hell from the grand parents. I imagine our parents caught hell even more.

morinix likes this.
  4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Here's some food for thought.
    If you were in your 30's or close to it and you grew up with all the great Rock music from the 60's and 70's, "rap" sounded ridiculous the first time you heard it.
    I never liked it (although I think Ice-T is far and away the best thing that whole movement ever produced)
    ...and before I get slammed, I just volunteered with a buch of 20 somethings (who like pop and hip hop) for an afternoon and none of them liked the "White Album" when we played the whole thing during part of the afternoon. They didn't know or like any good music at all.

It's an age thing sometimes...

morinix likes this.
  5. By a guy that was mainly a rap artist. You know how it goes! Us establishment straight's! We lump it all in one group of "them" so we have an easy target :faint::nauga::frog: :kilroy::imwithstupid: Guess my street cred is fading :hide::biglaugh:

tkl7 likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

There's a reason the Dead Kennedys had a song called Nazi Punks F* Off

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They (Dead Kennedys) also sang a cover of I Fought the Law that bragged about blowing two police officer's brains out with a six gun, but I digress.

8. johnny 99

Ice-T is great because he's not limited to one style of music and his "rap" albums always had smarts and a nod to Rock music as he himself loved Black Sabbath and many other great Rock bands when he grew up.

Billy Infinity, morinix and tkl7 like this.
  9. If you guys havn't seen this yet. Here is the history of the first billionaire Rap/dj guy. :winkgrin:

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

you mean they didn't know or like the music that you like?

11. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Wrong. The song is sung from Dan White's point of view and says "I blew George (Moscone) and Harvey (Milk)'s brains out with my six gun".

starduster likes this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Whatever, I never got that from it, probably because that all took place before my time, so the context was lost on me.

It still talks about blowing people's brains out. And "I fought the law and I won" It's not really that different from Cop Killer, except that it's obviously less serious in tone, if not lyrical content.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Most people my age never liked Frank Sinatra or crooners like that.

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

There was outrage.

" Then it graduates to what the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith justly calls "vulgar, sexual and anti-Semitic references which leave very little to the imagination."

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20073692,00.html

wgriel likes this.
  15. I'm sorry, but those lyrics are busting me up!

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Why in the world would you do that? That's like my parents playing Lawrence Welk for me as a child:)

tkl7 likes this.
  17. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

18. johnny 99

Nice dig...
    I like a lot of different music and it's all good music too. I don't need you or some Katy Perry fan questioning what I wrote or responding to it.
    I made myself clear.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Clear as mud.

:thumbsup:

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Crikey, this thread is still going?!?!?!?!?!?! Where's that flogging a dead horse animated GIF?

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

here's a quote from you:
    "...and before I get slammed, I just volunteered with a buch of 20 somethings (who like pop and hip hop) for an afternoon and none of them liked the "White Album" when we played the whole thing during part of the afternoon. They didn't know or like any good music at all."

phish likes this.
  22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I'm 58 and I grew up with the rock music of the '60s & '70s and I did not have the same reaction to rap.

Guy E and phish like this.
  23. Hey! Who are you to quibble with our explorations of the merits, or lack of, of hip hop?:winkgrin:;)

Atmospheric likes this.
  24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hey, lets take it down a notch, shall we? Take 5 minutes, breathe in, breathe out.... :)

Atmospheric likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Rap/Hip Hop doesn't need a connection to the past to have merit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.