SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

No problem, as I say I am not technically minded, but for the money, they seem pretty good.

2. Tony Stucchio

Tony Stucchio Active Member

I put mine Turntable to Phone pre-amp. I don't think it matters, but I'm sure there are others here who would know better.

Deuce66 likes this.
  3. Rakalm

Rakalm New Member

4. Rakalm

Rakalm New Member

Hello,
    I just sprung for the Monacor too, thinking it might be the right choice for me as well. I have enough cables everywhere already. May I ask where you put the converter box? Was it between the turntable and the phono stage or between the phono stage and preamp? Thanks in advance. I would like to figure out a way to put a switch in as well to choose between stereo and mono.

5. Rakalm

Rakalm New Member

Great thread,

I too am waiting for my Beatles Mono Box Set. I decided on the Monacor after reading this thread. I am hoping as one user mentioned it is quiet and I can use the cables of my choice. I am thinking of placing a source selector from my phono preamp (Jasmine) and putting the Monacor as one of the outgoing sources to an input on my Marantz preamp. I would than put another RCA connection running from the source selector to a different input on the Marantz. This would give me a choice of Stereo or Mono. Am I correct? I don't want to have to switch cables and no I don't have a mono switch on my preamp. Any input would be appreciated.
    This is the source selector I am considering and the Jasmine phono stage would plug into the amplifier input. I hope I am understanding this correctly. Lotsa of information in this thread.
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-6170

Thanks in advance.

6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My cables should be here by the end of the week as I couldn't find any here in my small town. Another poster and longtime friend of mine is sending me a set. I look forward to hearing these LP's properly. I have never owned any mono The Beatles albums before so this will be a fun listening experience.
    Thanks
    b

Millington and Gasman1003 like this.
  7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Hoggydoggy, have you found in your searches a simple mono/stereo switch box? (rather than the cables - nice though they are a permanent device would be better) I have searched and searched and the only one I can find is the KABUSA one which while it would do a fantastic job is over $200. The schematic diagrams all over the interweb show that its very easy so surely someone must make a small mono/stereo switch box?

8. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

You can find Audioquest splitter cables on Amazon reasonably

9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Got the cables installed - looking for permanent set up - little switch box - in mono out stereo with a little red light or something - how hard can it be! :)

10. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

If you find something like that at a good price please post here for the rest of us.

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I found phono pre-amp to amplifier bave a little less hum in my set-up.

Deuce66 likes this.
  12. Rakalm

Rakalm New Member

Here are the 2 parts which total about $40, more expensive than the Y adapter but I will have a switch to go from Mono to Stereo, I hope this works:
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-9042
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-6170
    Of course the phono preamp would be plugged into the amplifier input on the source selector allowing me to switch between the sources. RCA connectors into and out of the stereo to mono converter box would be one connection running to my Marantz preamp. And the other would be straight RCA male to male connections running to another input on my Marantz. For $40, it's worth a try. The KAB is just too much for what it does.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Easy-E likes this.
  13. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Thats right, celticbob. That's what it is all aboot. Having fun. If you have never heard any Beatles in mono, you are in for a treat. Believe me.

celticbob likes this.
  14. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I bought the necessary Y cables at Radio Shack yesterday so I am good to go.

However, I just ran across this little adapter and was wondering if this might do the trick if I were to plug it into the left channel of my phono stage and then connect the R + L cables to it.

[​IMG]

Advantages; simplicity, less distance for the signal to travel, and I would not have to worry about failure in the cords or in the connection of the two Y cables.

Am I dreaming here?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

NO. You're not combining channels, dude.

Rich C likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

As Steve said, that adaptor doesn't sum the channels to mono. Using it as you propose would merely split the left channel signal. You'd lose the right signal entirely.

Rich C likes this.
  17. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thank you, Steve. As usual, I'm glad I asked.

18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Would my hare-brained proposition result in reducing volume by half?

My thinking was based on not having to sum channels since both channels are identical.

Steve and you have spoken and I accept the answer, just trying to understand better as it may help me to build my general knowledge base.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I don't know what effect, if any, it would have on volume, but I doubt it would reduce it by half.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Again, see above. Now do we all understand this? You need to combine the channels to reduce the stereo groove noise. Not take the right or the left and split them into two. You need to bring the two channels together as one and then separate the COMBINED signal back to two again.

This is NOT for mono CD's, this is ONLY for reducing surface noise and pops and tics on records. Not for digital anything.

21. oldsiamsir

oldsiamsir Forum Resident

How is this confusing to anyone.

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Sorry Easy-E: I saw this late and Rakalm has since posted a solution, which looks workable.

I personally haven't looked at a switch option - I went with the tape in-out/monitor option (I don't have a cassette deck in my system anymore), so it works really well for me.

Good luck!

23. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

That would work - but I dont have the multiple inputs (or a preamp - my amp has the phono stage but no tape loop either)

I searched all day today and came up with nothing - Im gonna have to build one - fortunately there's lots of schematics on the net and I have a buddy who is handy with a soldiering iron :)

24. nspindel

nspindel Active Member

I use the Monacor between the turntable and the phono pre, because it's built into my preamp. So the only other option would be between preamp and amp, which I've not heard recommended.

25. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

Is like that?[​IMG][​IMG]

http://imgur.com/4QtsfRi