SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

artfromtex, HarvG, shutdown66 and 8 others like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Considering an Ortofon 2m Black was used as the cartridge when referencing the original pressings in the studio, it makes for an interesting tie-in. This Beatles/White mono cartridge also is said to have a Shibata type stylus, and therefore seems like a mono version of the Black (though its just my guess).

3. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

OMFG, I'm too dumb to live. I've had my integrated amp for 2 years, but I seldom use the remote, and until I saw this, it never occurred to me to check whether the remote has a mono button. Which it does indeed have [banging head on desk repeatedly].

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    WMTC, Ash76 and Joey_Corleone like this.
  4. peter

peter Senior Member

Or, if you are lucky enough to have a mono switch on your preamp, all this is avoided.

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's probably just Ortofon Black bridged for mono internally.

6. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Thank you. Doh! I get it now. I thought it was some special ready-made cable, not two ffm/mmf y cables combined. And I deny all accusations of how I came by those abbreviations. My conscience is as clear as my internet search history.

petem1966 and JL6161 like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks! My CAT preamp has a built in phono preamp, so there is no option but to go from the TT. I'll have to use two male into VPI and one male to one female to two male into the CAT.

So much for expensive TT cable.:shake:

8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I think the regular Ortofon 2M mono cart is probably like this (the Quintet mono is), but it sounds as if the "SE" version of the 2M mono might be real mono, so it probably won't be $400.

9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I think the se version only designates the upgraded stylus. If bridged internally, it's basically a 2m black that presses the mono button/patches in the y cables for you.

I hope this clears things up for many people here. If you want to focus on getting good sound out of a mono disc, put together a system that strives to get the best sound from any disc. The rest comes naturally.

10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

From my experience (with a Denon DL-102) a modern mono cartridge can get a lot out of those old mono records — in terms of minimising the surface noise and having a certain midrangey punchiness. But that is where it all stops. The Denon was frequency-wise much more limited. My stereo cart (AT33PTG2) revealed much more extended treble and bass in those grooves, even if it lost a bit of the focus of the mono cart. So if you are after a more flat response, a stereo cart and a mono button might be the better answer for you.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Some of you people with turntables have seriously never, ever played a mono record before? This is very hard to believe.

WMTC, Millington and EasterEverywhere like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Yes, you lose a lot of noise that way. Don't just go to one channel, that's pointless if you don't do L+R as well.

Are you guys messing with me? We've been talking about this for 12 years here, week in and week out!

By the way, two mono vinyl boxes will be an SH FORUMS GIVEAWAY so stay tuned!

WMTC likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

No! Do L+R to see!

WMTC likes this.
  14. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Yes, you will be fine with these mono reissues, thats how I play mine, and with a mono button on your amp you can always try to see what you like the most.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks for the bit of information. I'm going to stick with my stereo cartridge. I would rather pur that money towards buying a really nice MC cartridge instead.

16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

A white Rega RP3 and that Ortofon Mono cart are starting to pull at my heartstrings......and my wallet.

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Bah, you would need two turntables before considering a mono cartridge I reckon. Imagine....hmm I feel like mono peppers tonight, lets change cartridge and re align. Not likely. Hence it becomes a expensive option. Just use Stereo.

WMTC likes this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

Some Quad preamps have a great mono button, e.g. on the Quad 34 if you push the mono button you can then use the balance control to balance between the incoming channels for minimum noise (the image stays centred). It's useful for old records that have more wear on one side of the groove wall than the other due to being played without bias compensation, chipped stylus damage or whatever, you can often pretty much dial it out.

19. Steve Hoffman

Does everyone understand now how to do this and when it's needed, etc.? If not, please let me know on this thread.

If you're going to play an entire new Beatles Mono Vinyl Box you're going to need to play it back in L+R (IF) it's cut correctly in mono with no phase problems, etc.

WMTC and DRM like this.
  20. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Steve just to clarify, are you saying that I lose a lot of noise if I do the Y connector "summing," or if I use the mono setting on my receiver? From the answers you've given some other people on their questions it sounds like for the most part my assumptions have been in line with your viewpoints but just to clarify; do you see this summing of channels as a worthwhile thing to do, or do think someone who is listening through a receiver with a mono setting will get the desired output? And I know that's all relative...there's a reason why it's being talked about as much as it is. Also I would listen out of both L/R anyway, so I don't see that part as an issue.

21. Steve Hoffman

My friend, if you have a "mono" button on a receiver it is the same thing as using a "double Y" to make mono. The same thing. If you have one, you don't need the other. Most of us don't have a mono button, I don't. We need to create a way to achieve the same goal as pushing that button. See?

22. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

That's what I suspected you were saying, I just wanted to be sure. Thank you.

23. Steve Hoffman

No problem. If you still want to use one speaker in your mono listening, turn your balance control over either left or right but keep that mono button pushed.

24. Steve Hoffman

Remember vinyl lovers, the record has to be cut correctly in mono in the first place. If it's done wrong, you'll make it worse by summing to mono.

How a mono LP is cut wrong? Like this:

The operator is playing back a full track mono tape on a stereo machine without proper alignment in L+R and cutting the mono tape in stereo. When YOU combine to mono the thing might go out of phase (the top end will drop out and you might get a reel swish).

So, experiment if in doubt. If your "modern" mono record was cut correctly, when you go true mono the top end will STAY THE SAME but the annoying lateral stereo noise will vanish. That's the entire point of doing it. If you lose top end when combining L+R, something was faulty during the cutting process.

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I have a Cambridge Audio Amp and it has a 'B Speaker' Button and a 'Direct' button I have never used either any idea if the 'Direct' Button is the mono button, I think it just by passes the tone/bass I have no Mono records to try it out, I also have my speakers bi-wired ??

[​IMG]